Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 76 Next >>
Topic: Title Change: Spider-Man Thread (Now with New Costume) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 1  

What would the retailers do? Boycott their Big Two cashcows? Marvel and DC hold all the cards here, if only they had both the business sense and balls to realise it. 
Back to Top profile | search

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 2  

It's a weird situation where the major parties hold each other hostage, "Resevoir Dogs" style. DC  cannot alienate the retailers for fear of losing them to the Marvel and vice versa. Many retailers will support whatever nonsense Marvel or DC hypes because there is no other alternative product that could potentially sell as well. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Todd Douglas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 3  

QUOTE:
If you didn't enjoy Ultimate Spider-Man, I'll respect that. The sales are fine without you, and I'm sure there are books on the market that you will enjoy more.

There sure are.  Unfortunately, though, I haven't found a readable Spider-Man book on the market since Untold Tales of Spider-Man.  I do have hopes for Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, but I'll be waiting until #5 to pick it up, as I have no interest in reading JMS's or Hudlin's Spider-Man work, nor in reading only 1/3 of a story (particularly when the 2/3 I'd miss would include the conclusion).

Regarding point B, given what I see as the level of quality of the "Ultimate" books, that's either a pretty backhanded compliment to the "Ultimate" writers or a stinging condemnation of the "mainstream" Marvel writers.  Those you name may certainly qualify as "popular" writers, but we all know that popularity and quality are directly proportional, right?  I mean, your average popular "boy band" or "pop tart" certainly has the quality to back up those sales, right?  ;-)

Personally, I think there's a fifth reason why the continuity baggage may be a non-issue for the "Ultimate" line--within 5 years or less, the line will be defunct.

Gregg Allinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 1:58pm | IP Logged | 4  

I've heard some argue "Well, if you don't like the married adult avatar of the Spider-Totem, read Ultimate Spider-Man!"  The problem with that argument is that I don't want to read about a smug, smirky Peter Parker, Hulk knock-off Green Goblin, Flash Thompson's cronies, etc.  Despite what some apologists try to paint it as, reading USM is hardly like stepping in a time machine and reading some Stan Lee, or even Roger Stern or David Michelinie.

Thomas Mets
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 2:31pm | IP Logged | 5  

Regarding point B, given what I see as the level of quality of the "Ultimate" books, that's either a pretty backhanded compliment to the "Ultimate" writers or a stinging condemnation of the "mainstream" Marvel writers.  Those you name may certainly qualify as "popular" writers, but we all know that popularity and quality are directly proportional, right?  I mean, your average popular "boy band" or "pop tart" certainly has the quality to back up those sales, right?  ;-)

Personally, I think there's a fifth reason why the continuity baggage may be a non-issue for the "Ultimate" line--within 5 years or less, the line will be defunct.
5 years after is inception, the Ultimate line is selling well,  with 2 books in the December 2005 Top Ten. After 87 issues with the same creative team, Ultimate Spider-Man is still in the Top 15. While, I don't believe the Ulimate line will last forever, I don't see the Ultimate line going away in five years.

I have a higher opinion than you of the Ultimate books (I've enjoyed most of them), so Comment B is not meant as a stinging attack on current Marvel books, anymore than saying that the creative teams on DC's "All-Star books" are above-average is an attack on the industry. And I'm willing to say that most popular creators are better than average (I do have a very low opinion of "average.") It's also worth noting that most of the Ultimate creators have been working for the industry for a number of years, a combination of popularity & longevity (which correlates with quality), and those that were new to the industry were critically acclaimed for their earlier work (such as Vaughan.)

I've heard some argue "Well, if you don't like the married adult avatar of the Spider-Totem, read Ultimate Spider-Man!"  The problem with that argument is that I don't want to read about a smug, smirky Peter Parker, Hulk knock-off Green Goblin, Flash Thompson's cronies, etc.  Despite what some apologists try to paint it as, reading USM is hardly like stepping in a time machine and reading some Stan Lee, or even Roger Stern or David Michelinie.
Should it be? I really don't see books that read like that offering something to distinguish themselves from works by better creators (I loved Lee & Stern's Amazing Spider-Man, Micheline's not so much). There's also the question of how the books by Lee/ Stern/ Michelineaffected you when they first read them, and whether with similar works you'd enjoy the quality of the new work, or the feeling of nostalgia you get from reading what it essentially "more of the same."

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 2:31pm | IP Logged | 6  

Despite what some apologists try to paint it as,
reading USM is hardly like stepping in a time
machine and reading some Stan Lee, or even Roger
Stern or David Michelinie.

I disagree with your use of the term "apologists"
when you're actually talking about "fans." Evidence
suggests that Ultimate Spider-Man is selling pretty
well, and I'd bet that most of the people reading it are
doing so because they actually enjoy it.

And no, reading Bendis & Bagley's version of
Spider-Man isn't like Lee & Ditko's, Lee and Romita's
or Stern and Romita Jr's, but why would it be? Why
should it be?

If you really want to step in a time machine and
experience the older versions of Spider-Man, pull out
your back issues and trade paperbacks and re-read
'em.

I have little doubt that rebooting the Marvel Universe
Spider-Man and putting him back in high school
would produce something closer to what we get in
Ultimate Spider-Man than what we got in Steve
Ditko's Spider-Man anyway. If Marvel puts him back
in high school in the next story, they'll update things
so that his origin is relevant to teens in 2006, and it'll
feel just as weird and artificial as Ultimate
Spider-Man does to some fans already.

As for the prediction that the Ultimate line will be
defunct five years from now, I'll disagree. If Marvel's
still releasing monthly comics in 2011, I'm sure that
the Ultimate line (which has a pretty loyal fanbase at
this point) will still be hanging on, too.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Todd Douglas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 3:33pm | IP Logged | 7  

QUOTE:
5 years after is inception, the Ultimate line is selling well,  with 2 books in the December 2005 Top Ten. After 87 issues with the same creative team, Ultimate Spider-Man is still in the Top 15. While, I don't believe the Ulimate line will last forever, I don't see the Ultimate line going away in five years.

I say five years because that'll give them a solid decade, at which point it's all but inevitable that, despite any "mandates" or attempt to not reference what's gone before, the issue of continuity "baggage" that the line was ostensibly created to avoid will be irrevocably attached.

QUOTE:
I have a higher opinion than you of the Ultimate books

It'd be nearly impossible not to.  ;-)

QUOTE:
And I'm willing to say that most popular creators are better than average (I do have a very low opinion of "average.")

Some?  Certainly.

Many?  OK.

Most?  Not so sure.  Possible...not entirely sure about probable.

Without a doubt, popularity and quality can go hand-in-hand, but (sadly) it's entirely possible - and far more common - when they don't.

Of course, when speaking in terms of "quality," we introduce a heaping helping of subjectivity.  And that's a whole 'nother discussion.

QUOTE:
It's also worth noting that most of the Ultimate creators have been working for the industry for a number of years, a combination of popularity & longevity (which correlates with quality)

Rob Liefeld's "been working for the industry for a number of years," as well.  Once upon a time, he was one of the most popular contributors (personally, I hesitate to call him a "creator") out there, and, apparently still is popular in some circles.  Does that popularity and longevity also correlate with quality?

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 3:47pm | IP Logged | 8  

Of course Liefeld's a creator, same as JM
Straczynski's a creator and Peter David and Erik
Larsen and...sorry, it's just one of my pet peeves.
You can dislike someone's output, but denying that a
particular person has even produced anything
always seems really pissy to me and makes me
less inclined to take the poster's criticisms of that
creator seriously.

I'd have to disagree somewhat with Thomas's
definition of "quality," because it's incomplete and
allows for some not-so-talented creators to get in
there. Liefeld's had trouble getting work on the
stands with much regularity throughout his career,
so that could be part of the definition, *but* there are
creators like Frank Miller and Frank Quitely who've
missed deadlines before but still put out quality
works. There are unpopular creators who are very
talented, too, so the whole definition needs some
work.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Todd Douglas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 4:06pm | IP Logged | 9  

QUOTE:
Of course Liefeld's a creator, same as JM
Straczynski's a creator and Peter David and Erik
Larsen and...sorry, it's just one of my pet peeves.
You can dislike someone's output, but denying that a
particular person has even produced anything
always seems really pissy to me and makes me
less inclined to take the poster's criticisms of that
creator seriously.

My hesitation to refer to him as a "creator" is due to his established and proven track record of plagiarism.  I have a hard time referring to someone who is so clearly and publicly bankrupt creatively as a "creator."

I may dislike the output of someone like Bendis, Erik Larsen or Kevin Smith as strongly as I dislike the output of Liefeld, but I've yet to see them establish such a history as he has, and as such, would still refer to them as "creators."

Gregg Allinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 4:07pm | IP Logged | 10  

And no, reading Bendis & Bagley's version of Spider-Man isn't like Lee & Ditko's, Lee and Romita's or Stern and Romita Jr's, but why would it be? Why should it be?

I'm not saying it should be.  I'm just sick of people saying "You want your classic Spider-Man?  That's why they publish Ultimate Spider-Man!" when, in fact, the two are very different beasts.

Thomas Mets
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 4:29pm | IP Logged | 11  

I'd have to disagree somewhat with Thomas's
definition of "quality," because it's incomplete and
allows for some not-so-talented creators to get in
there. Liefeld's had trouble getting work on the
stands with much regularity throughout his career,
so that could be part of the definition, *but* there are
creators like Frank Miller and Frank Quitely who've
missed deadlines before but still put out quality
works. There are unpopular creators who are very
talented, too, so the whole definition needs some
work.
I said there's a correlation between quality, and a combination of longevitty & popularity. I never said it's always the case, as I'm well aware of exceptions. My definition of "talented creators" is simply creators who have produced good work (bad work wouldn't knock a creator off this list). The best creators would be those who have produced the best work (or the most best work.) Of course, my list of talented & best creators would be different from anyone else's list.

I'm not saying it should be.  I'm just sick of people saying "You want your classic Spider-Man?  That's why they publish Ultimate Spider-Man!" when, in fact, the two are very different beasts.
Fair enough. However I felt that Ultimate Spider-Man fit Byrne's definition of "Spider-Boy - the Adventures of Spider-Man When He was a Boy". Not literally, of course, but something several degrees less anal than "UNTOLD TALES", set in the high school days. I didn't mean to imply that it would be exactly the same as the classic stories you enjoyed decades ago. It should be as good & enjoyable (very subjective, I know) but I don't think it should be exactly the same (which would probably lead to a style VS substance debate.)

Edited by Thomas Mets on 18 January 2006 at 4:31pm

Pedro Bouça
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 5:41pm | IP Logged | 12  

Continuity-free high school age Spider-Man adventures accessible for kids isn't PRECISELY the definition for the current "Marvel Adventures Spider-Man" book?

I don't read it, but I understand it was tailor-made for the younger readers. Some good writers like Todd deZago and Sean McKeever have worked on it, so it's not Spider Super Stories! Does anyone here buy it?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 76 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version