Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 76 Next >>
Topic: Title Change: Spider-Man Thread (Now with New Costume) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 1  

i could be wrong--and time will tell--but by my reading the "spider stingers" were a temporary thing and now that Pete--or something resembling Pete--has crawled out of the coccoon, they are gone...

i'll admit that i am one of the ones that continues to buy Spider-Man despite the horrid storylines...no matter how out-of-character the plots are, at some point Spider-Man is still there...granted you have to shovel a lot of crap...
Back to Top profile | search

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 2  

I think Günther's statements mirror my own sentiments well, though my disillusionment began earlier than "The Other". 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 3  

Dan Helpingstine: i'll admit that i am one of the ones that continues to buy Spider-Man despite the horrid storylines

Then you're part of the problem.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Monte Gruhlke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 10:52am | IP Logged | 4  

I've even got a better idea... you know how DCU is going to go through a
"One-Year later" leap? The House of Idea could come up with a "20-Years
Earlier" revamp... resetting many nigh forgettable moments.

Todd Douglas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 5  

QUOTE:
What do you think "Ultimate Spider-Man" is?

Yet another coma-inducing outing by Brian Nyquil Bendis that - if Marvel wants to hold to one of the primary stated reasons the "Ultimate" line was launched at all - should be forcibly retired in the next year or so.

Well...ya asked.  ;-)

After all...one of the reasons they touted as being a raison d'etre for the "Ultimate" line was to provide an outlet for the characters where they weren't (to paraphrase) "bogged down by years of continuity that a new reader wouldn't be familiar with."  Well...looks like the "Ultimate" books are starting to get weighed down with their own years of continuity that a new reader wouldn't be familiar with.  Time for them to go bye-bye and, I guess, make way for the "Really Ultimate" line.  Followed a few years later by the "Ultimate, We Promise" line, and then the "We Really Mean It's the Ultimate This Time...Honest" line.

Darragh Greene
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 12:38pm | IP Logged | 6  

I'd like to see Marvel and DC publish newstand only, i.e., no sale through the DSM, continuity-free comics featuring their respective flagship characters. This is the only way that these wonderful creations could have a chance of breaking free from the current niche market while supporting the popular dissemination of the medium in which they originated (as opposed to their presence in film or computer games).

John Mietus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 12:47pm | IP Logged | 7  

I agree completely. And if they could be made to see the profitability, DC
and Marvel might be convinced to do it.

And then they'd hire Frank Miller to write the goddamned Batman.

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 8  

Howard Mackie wrote
 QUOTE:
I guess what I'm reacting to is what I read as "I don't
like it, so it sucks!" Everyone thinks they can do
better... I assure you... most can't. I strongly suggest
that if you don't like the book... DO NOT BUY IT! If
sales fall... changes WILL be made.

As it happened in the good ol' Ben Reilly days, Am I right? Poor clone, "killed" by the fans! But I'm afraid this time it will not happen. Did fans complain about "Sins past"? Yeah. But that horrible storyline hasn't denied yet. And so the Spider Totem, the organical webs...

Darragh Greene
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 12:57pm | IP Logged | 9  

Does anyone at Marvel or DC do market research beyond the DSM?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 10  

I'd like to see Marvel and DC publish newstand only, i.e., no sale through the DSM, continuity-free comics featuring their respective flagship characters.

Do you have any idea how big a hissy-fit the DSM would throw if ^^***** and/or DC tried this? I cannot count the number of times someone has suggested a new product for a new venue (or even an old one), only to be greeted with "No, no! We can't risk pissing off the retailers!"

Arvid Spejare
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 11  

I remember when Marvel presented the big Ultimate Spider-Man hardcover that was exculsive to Barnes & Noble. Man, there was a lot of comic shop owners complaining on message boards about how evil Marvel was for producing a product that they couldn't order!

Thomas Mets
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 12  

i could be wrong--and time will tell--but by my reading the "spider stingers" were a temporary thing and now that Pete--or something resembling Pete--has crawled out of the coccoon, they are gone...

i'll admit that i am one of the ones that continues to buy Spider-Man despite the horrid storylines...no matter how out-of-character the plots are, at some point Spider-Man is still there...granted you have to shovel a lot of crap...
I like most of the current Spider-Man stories, but if you're not enjoying the books stop buying them. Thanks to Marvel's trade program, you won't have to worry about missing any good storylines in your absence.

Yet another coma-inducing outing by Brian Nyquil Bendis that - if Marvel wants to hold to one of the primary stated reasons the "Ultimate" line was launched at all - should be forcibly retired in the next year or so.

Well...ya asked.  ;-)

After all...one of the reasons they touted as being a raison d'etre for the "Ultimate" line was to provide an outlet for the characters where they weren't (to paraphrase) "bogged down by years of continuity that a new reader wouldn't be familiar with."  Well...looks like the "Ultimate" books are starting to get weighed down with their own years of continuity that a new reader wouldn't be familiar with.  Time for them to go bye-bye and, I guess, make way for the "Really Ultimate" line.  Followed a few years later by the "Ultimate, We Promise" line, and then the "We Really Mean It's the Ultimate This Time...Honest" line.
If you didn't enjoy Ultimate Spider-Man, I'll respect that. The sales are fine without you, and I'm sure there are books on the market that you will enjoy more.
However, I don't think the Ultimate Universe will ever become as problematic, and convoluted as the Marvel Universe for a few reasons.
A. There aren't that many Ultimate books being published. After 5 years, there are 4 monthly books, and occassional mini series, almost all of which are available in Trade Paperback form.
B. The creators are better on average than the people allowed to write/ draw regular Marvel books. For example, in the Ultimate imprint there have been a total of 2 issues by Chuck Austen, and six issues by Ron Zimmerman, which have had no impact on any other Ultimate book. That's less than ten issues by unpopular writers (Millar. Bendis, Vaughan, and Ellis do count as popular writers.)
C. There's a mandate that every new issue be accessible to a new reader, and you get all the information you need to enjoy the story in whatever issue you pick up.
D. There are less references to events in other/ previous books, or even previous storylines than in the average convoluted Marvel book. To be fair, Marvel has moved away from that (much to the displeasure of some fans.)

<< Prev Page of 76 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version