Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 76 Next >>
Topic: Title Change: Spider-Man Thread (Now with New Costume) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2006 at 12:54pm | IP Logged | 1  

QUOTE:
I am NOT going to defend the stories. I was a BIG JMS B-5
fan, and was looking forward to seeing him on SPider-Man.
He pretty much lost me when he had Peter become a High
School teacher, and then dropped the supporting cast. I
haven't liked what I heard about the supernatural
elements entering the book... the spider-totems... the
eye gouging... Aunt May in armpor etc...

I guess what I'm reacting to is what I read as "I don't
like it, so it sucks!" Everyone thinks they can do
better... I assure you... most can't. I strongly suggest
that if you don't like the book... DO NOT BUY IT! If
sales fall... changes WILL be made.

I haven't bought Amazing since you left the title.  I read one Stracynski issue and knew it was not for me. 

Once a year I will attempt to read it. Last year I came just in time to see Norman Osborn screw Gwen Stacy. 

I rarely ever make the type of statements I have about Stracynski.  I have the utmost respect for writers.  But Stracynski took what respect I had for him as a writer when he wrote Sins Past.  

Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2006 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 2  

Howard Mackie wrote:
...I strongly suggest that if you don't like the book... DO NOT BUY IT!...

Not an option for me. I order what my customers want to buy. It doesn't mean I have to like it.

As for my comment about fanfiction, I'll stand by it. I honestly, sincerely, completely believe that what is passing for writing in "Amazing Spider-Man" these days is no better than fanfiction. And I don't think the comment was uncalled for in the least.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 17 January 2006 at 1:08pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2006 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 3  

Victor wrote:
...Mr Mackie with all due respect, I don't think any (provided its not personal) criticisim is uncalled for at this point...

And note, I specify that I am speaking about Stracynski's writing on "Amazing Spider-Man," and I am not speaking about all of his work, in general.

I wonder, can't fanfiction be good? I believe so, and that's why I wrote that the fanfiction is better than what we are getting these days with "Amazing Spider-Man."

Wayne Osborne
Byrne Robotics Member
Manhunter

Posted: 17 January 2006 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 4  

"So I should have given up SPAWN ten years ago?  ;)"

Yeah, but in all that time you only had to buy, what - 20, 30 issues?

WO

Wayne Osborne
Byrne Robotics Member
Manhunter

Posted: 17 January 2006 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 5  

"I wonder, can't fanfiction be good? I believe so, and that's why I wrote that the fanfiction is better than what we are getting these days with "Amazing Spider-Man."

Hell, I'll go balls out and say I think I could do a better job writing Spider-man than JMS.  And I dare say there are a few other people on the board who could do a better job too.  But with the problem being the "mystique" surrounding all these Hollywood guys and Hollywood-wannabes, there's a lot of guys with real, proven talent that aren't getting a shot to show what they can do.  So not only are the books bad, the people who could fix them can't get their foot in the door.

WO

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2006 at 2:16pm | IP Logged | 6  

But Roger, you've only had to miss only 5 isssues for your two year boycott! He-he
Makes Spawn look rather punctual doesn't it?

I am now off to see if fanfiction.net does indeed have better written Spider-Man stories.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mike Bunge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2006 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 7  

"Hell, I'll go balls out and say I think I could do a better job writing Spider-man than JMS." 

I wouldn't say I could do better than JMS.  He's a very talented guy, after all.  But I damn sure would have known not to do "Sins of the Past".

Mike

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2006 at 2:47pm | IP Logged | 8  

Exactly im not a great baker but I know not to put rat poison in the cake.

Edited by Victor .R. Rodgers on 17 January 2006 at 2:47pm

Jason Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2006 at 3:04pm | IP Logged | 9  

I'm not so sure that low sales will guarantee a 'superstar' writer/artist losing a title. Let's use Iron Man as an example - let's say that the five issues of Warren Ellis Iron Man masterpiece theater have sold 50k each (I have no idea if this is accurate, and am not inclined to look it up) - so 250k copies over the course of 15 months, or 16,667 copies per month. Spider-Girl sells more copies per month, also has digest/trade sales, and it's getting shit-canned.

Guess Defalco and company should have shipped a few issues late, to 'create buzz'.

Steve Horton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2006 at 3:20pm | IP Logged | 10  

Yeh, but Marvel is saving money by not having to issue vouchers to the Iron Man painter more than four times a year.

So in a bass-ackwards way, a steady creative team with on-time delivery every month can actually get you fired!

BTW: I'm 100% certain I could write Amazing Spider-Man better than ANY of those guys.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2006 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 11  

I've already taken the leap Howard suggested-- I walked away from Spider-Man not too long after JB wrapped Chapter One. The book wasn't really speaking to me so I dropped it, simple as that.

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2006 at 3:36pm | IP Logged | 12  

Speaking of Stracynski and Babylon 5 (a great series by the way). What's the deal with him and cocoons? Delenn in B5 and now Spider-Man. Was the guy fascinated by caterpillars as a kid or what?

Regardless of what people think of Stracynski as a writer or The Other as a story the thing had to make it through an editorial process presumably. Obviously there is some belief at Marvel that this is a good way to go with the character. I can't see why beyond some gimmicky sales stunt. But do creative teams at comics companies do things specifically to piss off a segment of the audience. I find it hard to picture writers sitting around saying "This will get them steamed." So to quote a line from another much maligned (mini)series, Identity Crisis:

"Who benefits?"

<< Prev Page of 76 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version