Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 76 Next >>
Topic: Title Change: Spider-Man Thread (Now with New Costume) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 14 January 2006 at 9:03pm | IP Logged | 1  

By degrees, not leaps and bounds.  I don't know if that's good enough to tout one over the other.
Back to Top profile | search

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2006 at 10:34pm | IP Logged | 2  

Rob, you are the Dwight Schrute of m***** fandom.

I had no idea who that was.

But wikipedia says: Despite his childish behavior and antagonistic tendencies, he is the most complex and possibly most interesting character on the show [The Office].

If Wikipedia says it, it must be true.  So I'll take that as a compliment! Hee hee

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2006 at 10:39pm | IP Logged | 3  

• New Avengers
  • Ultimate Hulk v. Wolverine
  • The Ultimates 2
  • Uncanny X-men
  • AMazin Spider-man (thanks to The Other)
  • Secret War (very late)
  • X-men
  • X-men Deadly Genesis mini-series
  • Ultimate Spider-man
  • X-men
  • Ultimate Spider-man
  • Friendly Neighborhood Spider-man
  • Wolverine
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four
  • Marvel Knoghts Spider-man

I collect the highlighed ones. Plus I did get the Ultimate Hulk v. Wolverine for, of all people, my wife.

I didn;t like Huldin's Marvel Knights much, but I did like Millars. Since a new guy is coming soon, I'll stick with it.

Victor Rodgers
    Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2006 at 12:52am | IP Logged | 4  

I wipe my ass with what Spiderfan.org writes. They gave a bad review to Hobgoblin Lives and Revenge of the Green Goblin, yet they praise Stracynski's tripe.

Gregg Allinson
    Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2006 at 4:36am | IP Logged | 5  

Spiderfan's got some good reference material, but I agree with your assessment of the reviews.  I remember reading an impassioned attack on JB making the Chameleon an agent of Dr. Doom instead of a Communist spy in Chapter One (one of the neater ideas presented in the series, IMO).  The reviewer said this change was stupid because Communist countries still existed- countries like China, Cuba...and Iraq.

Yes, that's right- Communist Iraq.

The review was written pre-2003, of course, but- unless I missed something- Saddam wasn't no Commie...

Victor Rodgers
    Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2006 at 5:26am | IP Logged | 6  

The problem is the guy editorialises in hthe character profiles.  In his Hobgoblin profile he talks about how weak Macendale's (the second Hobgoblin) death was.  Saying that Kingsley couldn't hsve killed him because he was stronger.

He neglected to mention that Macendale was trapped in a jail cell designed to keep him from escaping and that Kingsley fried him with a point blanl laser blast.  

He refused to let go of Ned Leeds being the Hobgoblin, despite the guy who created the freaking character saying otherwise.

Edited by Victor .R. Rodgers on 15 January 2006 at 5:27am

Gregg Allinson
    Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2006 at 5:39am | IP Logged | 7  

He refused to let go of Ned Leeds being the Hobgoblin, despite the guy who created the freaking character saying otherwise.

I've also encountered that on other message boards too.  The whole Ned Leeds scenario didn't make much sense to me, but even if it did, you're right:  Roger Stern created the character.  If he says the original Hobgoblin was supposed to be Roderick Kingsley, it was Roderick Kingsley.

Victor Rodgers
    Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2006 at 5:50am | IP Logged | 8  

Not to mention the fact that nobody will take credit for the original Leeds is Hobgoblin revelation.  Everybody that worked on Spider-Man books says that he was always intended as a red herring to throw fans off the track of the real Goblin. 

Roger Stern made a fantastic story out of that mess and made it seem like the plan the whole time.   I think that is where the Marvel Serendipity that Mr.Byrne has talked about before kicks in.

James C. Taylor
    Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2006 at 9:34am | IP Logged | 9  

To Jacob Secrest: Thank you for the correction. As I am interested in the current version of Spider-Man only as one is interested in a three car pile up on the interstate, I was unaware of the specifics of eyeball eating.

To Thomas Mets: To what I just typed to Jacob, I add: the point is not that J. Michael Straczynski wrote the story in question whereupon an eyeball was consumed. The point is that JMS is one of Spider-Man's current scribes (Amazing?) during the period where having his eyeball eaten is cool.
    Back to Top profile | search | www

Roger A Ott II
    Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2006 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 10  

As far as this whole eye eating thing goes, I'm assuming that Spider-Man...um...got better?

Better being a subjective term, of course.  It doesn't sound like there's anything "better" about what's going on with the character right now.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Mike Bunge
    Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2006 at 10:20am | IP Logged | 11  

"To be fair, Joe Queseda did keep Spidergirl around for years, despite consistently bad sales/, and a general lack of positive buzz. I can't fault his decision to cancel the book, especially since I stopped reading it years ago."

As a huuuuuuge Spider-Girl fan I will grant, JoeQ has kept the title around despite low sales for a few years now.  BUT...JoeQ didn't do anything to try and turn around those low sales.  Instead, he left the book out there with no promotional or editorial support to wither and die.  Instead of directly killing the book (like X-Men: The Hidden Years), he sort of let it starve to death.

Arana was a complete sales failure.  Yet, M****l is still coming out with an Arana/Spider-Man Special.  Spider-Girl has lasted over 8 years with a small but devoted fan base.  Yet in those 8 years, it's never gotten anything like that.

Mike

Rob Hewitt
    Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2006 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 12  

As far as this whole eye eating thing goes, I'm assuming that Spider-Man...um...got better?

Yeah.  He was dying and no one could help him. He got his eye eaten and he got beaten near death. 

He died. However, as the story told us, spiders shed their skins once a lifetime to heal old wounds.*

A cocoon formed, he emerged from the cocoon looking perfect and acting like himself, only tired

There are some hints he may be "more" than before (Evolve or die is the tagline) , but its unclear, story hasn;'t ended yet.

I am also assuming the new suit is to protect him from that type of damage as well, but not sure, maybe at MJ's request.

*Also, as he lay dying, and Morlun came to feed on the rest of his life essence, MJ tried to protect him, and Morlun was about to kill her. Suddenly Spider-man's near lifeless body jumped up, the face transformed into some grotesque Spider-like thing and these "pincers" kina looking like those mechanical ones on the new suit, but real, came out and this monster like thing (it clearly was some kind of instinct and not peter's mind) chomped on Morlun's face.  However, apparently although damaged, Morlun's face was more or less intact. Then Morlun's life essence/enegry just dissipated and his body collapsed. Then whatever spider creature that was turned back into Peter, who said a word or two as himself, and then "died."

<< Prev Page of 76 Next >>
      Post ReplyPost New Topic
    Printable version Printable version