Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 76 Next >>
Topic: Title Change: Spider-Man Thread (Now with New Costume) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2006 at 2:56pm | IP Logged | 1  

Then you haven't been reading much in the way of feedback.  The vast majority of fans I talk to and hear from give ASM a consistently negative review.  Most turned around the time of the horrible, atrocious Norman/Gwen story (and sales numbers prove this).  Quite frankly, I haven't read a good review of a JMS penned Spider-book in ages.  I've also read a large number of bad reviews on SECRET WAR (not only due to its extreme lateness), UFF and USM...the latter especially lately.
********************************************************** ****************************

Mixed reviews are different from consistently bad ones. I have not seen any good reviews of Milligan's X-Men & Marvel Knights Spider-Man.

I've seen positive reviews of JMS's work on spidefan.org.
I've seen positive reviews of Millar/ Land's UFF on The Fourth Rail.
I'm also a member of the Bendis boards, so I often read positive review of Ultimate Spider-Man there (and the Warriors got great reviews on Spiderfan, although the Hobgoblin arc did not.)
A quick google found a few positive reviews of Secret War #5, one on Broken Frontier.com.

Back to Top profile | search

Jason Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2006 at 3:01pm | IP Logged | 2  

so I often read positive review of Ultimate Spider-Man (on the Bendis boards)

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2006 at 3:02pm | IP Logged | 3  

and sales numbers prove this

Suggest. Other variables are possible as well. (such as John Romita, Jr.leaving right before Sins Past)

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 14 January 2006 at 3:02pm | IP Logged | 4  

You read positive reviews of USM on a Bendis! board?  Shocking!

Thomas, there are always exceptions to the rule.  Nothing is ever universally panned, just like nothing is ever universally loved.  Let's not talk in absolutes, shall we?  Because you used Google to find one or two good reviews on SECRET WAR doesn't mean that the majority of fans loved it.  The fans I talked to back that up.  Same with JMS, although it's no surprise that the people posting to Spider Fan will swallow just about anything pertaining to their favorite character.

Anywho, continue speaking in absolutes and generalities if is suits you and your position.  Me, I don't know why people continually defend JMS and the absolutely shitty things he's done to my all-time favorite character and I've got quite a few people who back me up, including pre-"The Others" sales figures.

Jason Fliegel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2006 at 3:13pm | IP Logged | 5  

QUOTE:
2. I'm very happy to have found a copy of the Power of Iron Man (which includes that epic), and wish Marvel would just publish a new version of the trade, or a series of David Michelline Visionaries trades.

Good news!  The TPB is scheduled for reprinting under the name Iron Man: Demon in a Bottle.  It's scheduled for release February 15, and will include Iron Man #120-128.  Like you, I have the TPB from 20 years ago, but I'm thinking of picking this one up just to send Marvel the message that there is an audience for this stuff.

I think the run begining from there (when Michelinie/Layton took over) for the next decade or so (through the end of the JB/JRjr run) is just phenomenal (unlike some who have posted in this thread, I thought the Denny O'Neill run was good stuff).  Ideally, Marvel would reprint that entire decade's worth of Iron Man comics.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2006 at 3:26pm | IP Logged | 6  

"Suggest. Other variables are possible as well. (such as John Romita, Jr.leaving right before Sins Past)"

http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic& amp;f=36&t=002856

http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic; f=36;t=004463

JRjr left at 508? Sales were at the 90,000 level prior to 500, started dropping to 80,000 level up to 508, jumped up with 509 (the first part of Sins Past), settled to the mid to high 80s during Sins Past, then dropped even further down to the 70s right after Sins Past ended.

Thomas Mets
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2006 at 3:32pm | IP Logged | 7  

The TPB is scheduled for reprinting under the name Iron Man: Demon in a Bottle.  It's scheduled for release February 15, and will include Iron Man #120-128.
That's awesome. It is a great storyline, even if the alcoholism part is referred to far too often in any of the positive (or negative) reviews.

You read positive reviews of USM on a Bendis! board?  Shocking!

Thomas, there are always exceptions to the rule.  Nothing is ever universally panned, just like nothing is ever universally loved.  Let's not talk in absolutes, shall we?  Because you used Google to find one or two good reviews on SECRET WAR doesn't mean that the majority of fans loved it.  The fans I talked to back that up.  Same with JMS, although it's no surprise that the people posting to Spider Fan will swallow just about anything pertaining to their favorite character.

Anywho, continue speaking in absolutes and generalities if is suits you and your position.  Me, I don't know why people continually defend JMS and the absolutely shitty things he's done to my all-time favorite character and I've got quite a few people who back me up, including pre-"The Others" sales figures.
********************************************************** **********************
I should point out that spiderfan.org has been around for more than a decade, and has panned Spider-Man stories, including many by Howard Mackie, John Byrne, and even JMS, so they don't give positive reviews to every Spider-Man tale..

And it is astounding that I have found absolutely no postive reviews of Milligan's X-Men & Marvel Knights Spider-Man. They're two books I would consider universally panned, which is why I said reviews were consistently negative in the first place. That's the main reason I haven't picked up the books myself (except for "The Other" crossover.)

The reasons I'd defend JMS is I that enjoy his work, and I don't think the stuff he's done with my favorite character is absolutely, or even usually shitty. I think he is a step up from previous Amazing Spider-Man writers. However I do believe a backlash against "Sins Past" was one of the reasons Amazing Spider-Man sales have been declining (in addition to people waiting for the trade, fans of Jon Romita Jr departing, and a lack of interest in a run that had never topped its first nine issues, and included a lot of "filler" tales.) "The Other" seems to be his solution to that problem.

Edited by Thomas Mets on 14 January 2006 at 3:35pm

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 14 January 2006 at 3:43pm | IP Logged | 8  

And yet another terrible "solution" to the problem, in that it doesn't solve it at all.  Once again, JMS exposes himself as someone who doesn't "get" Spider-Man, Peter Parker or his supporting cast.  "The Other", every single story element, is proof of this.  It's a terrible piece of crap and indicative of the majority of his run...a run that has gone on far too long and, to my mind, has done far too much damage to the character.

Jacob P Secrest
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2006 at 3:55pm | IP Logged | 9  

Whose JMS?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2006 at 4:03pm | IP Logged | 10  

"The Other" also seems to take away one of the defenses of the whole "Spider-Totem" subplot. When the whole Spider-Totem thing came up, fans would defend it by saying that people who didn't like it could just assume Ezekiel was wrong or lying. Indeed, the last time we saw Ezekiel, it seemed to be the case that Ezekiel had mislead Peter into thinking he was the Spider-Totem. Now with the conclusion of "The Other", it seems that Peter is indeed the Spider-Totem. (Which is odd because I thought that was the point of the Arana character.)

James C. Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2006 at 4:47pm | IP Logged | 11  

Jacob P Secrest wrote:
Who's JMS?

J. Michael Straczynski, creator of Babylon 5, and present IIRC scribe of your eyeball eating Spider-Man.

Brian Kirk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2006 at 5:10pm | IP Logged | 12  

Remember when Amazing Spider-Man featured the "Master Planner", "Silvermane", "Who is the Green Goblin?" stories?  Damn, those were good..and not a costume change in sight.

<< Prev Page of 76 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version