Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 76 Next >>
Topic: Title Change: Spider-Man Thread (Now with New Costume) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 January 2006 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 1  

He hits harder than Thor and the Hulk.

So Peter's dead.

Well, that solves that problem!
Back to Top profile | search

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2006 at 1:56pm | IP Logged | 2  

That's really sad, if true.  At ^^****, all the good books get cancelled or ruined and the bad s*** just keeps right on coming.

Thanks, Joey.

Um, shouldn't you thank the fans?  I['m sure Joe Q. would not care if Spider-girl was the best selling book on the market-probably love it.  Spider-girl has been saved from cancellation many times.

The top 15 Marvel books in December (where Marvel had 15 of the top 21)

• New Avengers
  • Ultimate Hulk v. Wolverine
  • The Ultimates 2
  • Uncanny X-men
  • AMazin Spider-man (thanks to The Other)
  • Secret War (very late)
  • X-men
  • X-men Deadly Genesis mini-series
  • Ultimate Spider-man
  • X-men
  • Ultimate Spider-man
  • Friendly Neighborhood Spider-man
  • Wolverine
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four
  • Marvel Knoghts Spider-man

So if you don't like what is selling, blame the fans. Whatever Marvel is doing, it is still competitive with, and actually usually beats, DC.

(Also shows what sells-Ultimate anything, X-men/Wolverine, Spider-man.  That's about it).

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Stephen Rockwood
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2006 at 1:58pm | IP Logged | 3  

I think Spider-Girl was cancelled because they didn't want people comparing it to the crapfest the regular Spider-Man titles have become.  Seems like the same scenario that took place when a certain X-Men book we all loved was cancelled.  Just my theory though.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2006 at 2:00pm | IP Logged | 4  

He hits harder than Thor and the Hulk.

Yeah, a bit of exaggeration on the writer's part.  Or possibly Peter's. Or like whoever wrote wikipedia said, maybe he was just so weakened.

The one thing the story kept telling us (and showing us I guess) is This guy is unstoppable. He's never been stopped. He can't be stopped."

It was a little much, but then, he was just a crutch to cause Peter to lose everything he had in order to undergo whatever transformation he has "Spiders shed their skins once in a lifetime."

(Not to mention now Peter has stopped the unstoppable foe twice, albeit once with a little help and trickery)

Jason Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2006 at 2:04pm | IP Logged | 5  

Rob, you are the Dwight Schrute of m***** fandom.

Darren De Vouge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2006 at 2:08pm | IP Logged | 6  

So if you don't like what is selling, blame the fans.

No, I'm putting blame exactly where's its due -- on the decision-makers and bean counters.  The fans don't know enough about what's good these days to make an informed choice.  An  industry run by competant professionals (with some courage) needs to show them. 

Edited by Darren De Vouge on 14 January 2006 at 2:09pm

Darren De Vouge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2006 at 2:10pm | IP Logged | 7  

Whatever Marvel is doing, it is still competitive with, and actually usually beats, DC.

Hopefully not for much longer, if Joey Q. keeps giving us stuff like 'Iron Spider-Spats'.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 14 January 2006 at 2:15pm | IP Logged | 8  

Ya blame both, Darren.  There are plenty of fans out there who can make an informed choice and that choice steers the direction, to a certain extent both good and bad, of the publisher.  They can not, in any way, be taken off the hook.  Both work in unison; the fans demanding bullshit stories and the publishers printing them.

FWIW, I'm as loud as I can be concerning Marvel and some of the product they put out.  I'm definitely that way with anything they've done with Spider-Man over the last five - ten years.  But that doesn't mean that everything they produce is crap.  It certainly doesn't mean that all the good books get canceled and the shitty ones stick around.  Different strokes and all, and I've found myself buying fewer and fewer titles from Marvel, but there are still a good number of books they publish that are as good as anything at the Distinguished Competition...which may or may not be saying much because DC is working hard to screw up its characters as well.

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2006 at 2:27pm | IP Logged | 9  

Anyway, I'm hoping 2006 is a better comic year than 2005!

Darren De Vouge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2006 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 10  

You can blame both all you want, Matt but only one has the actual power to change things.  The publishers are still free to either cater to or ignore the fans no matter how much complaining is done.  Somebody has to take the lead to make things better and I feel it should be the industry.

DC has done some screwing up too I'll admit, but not nearly what Marvel has done the last 3-4 years.  DC also appears to be showing some signs of  correcting their mistakes (although it may still be  too soon to say this for certain).

Thomas Mets
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2006 at 2:31pm | IP Logged | 11  

That's really sad, if true.  At ^^****, all the good books get cancelled or ruined and the bad s*** just keeps right on coming.

Thanks, Joey.
********************************************************** ************************
To be fair, Joe Queseda did keep Spidergirl around for years, despite consistently bad sales/, and a general lack of positive buzz. I can't fault his decision to cancel the book, especially since I stopped reading it years ago.

I think Spider-Girl was cancelled because they didn't want people comparing it to the crapfest the regular Spider-Man titles have become.  Seems like the same scenario that took place when a certain X-Men book we all loved was cancelled.  Just my theory though.
If your theory were true, the book would have been cancelled right after the Spider-Man relaunch.

The top 15 Marvel books in December (where Marvel had 15 of the top 21)

• New Avengers
  • Ultimate Hulk v. Wolverine
  • The Ultimates 2
  • Uncanny X-men
  • AMazin Spider-man (thanks to The Other)
  • Secret War (very late)
  • X-men
  • X-men Deadly Genesis mini-series
  • Ultimate Spider-man
  • X-men
  • Ultimate Spider-man
  • Friendly Neighborhood Spider-man
  • Wolverine
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four
  • Marvel Knoghts Spider-man
Several of these (New Avengers, Secret War, Ultimates 2, Ultimate Spider-Man, Ultimate Fantastic 4, FNSM) are books I really enjoy, and I'm glad others agree.

I've only seen consistently negative reviews of two of the books (X-Men, Marvel Knights Spider-Man.)

I admit to waiting on the trade for Deadly Genesis, and Ultimate Hulk V. Wolverine (books that obviously don't need me to buy the monthlies.)

Edited by Thomas Mets on 14 January 2006 at 2:33pm

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 14 January 2006 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 12  

Thomas Mets wrote:
I've only seen consistently negative reviews of two of the books (X-Men, Marvel Knights Spider-Man.)

Then you haven't been reading much in the way of feedback.  The vast majority of fans I talk to and hear from give ASM a consistently negative review.  Most turned around the time of the horrible, atrocious Norman/Gwen story (and sales numbers prove this).  Quite frankly, I haven't read a good review of a JMS penned Spider-book in ages.  I've also read a large number of bad reviews on SECRET WAR (not only due to its extreme lateness), UFF and USM...the latter especially lately.

<< Prev Page of 76 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version