Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 76 Next >>
Topic: Title Change: Spider-Man Thread (Now with New Costume) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2006 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 1  

Didn't know Hobgoblin was a confirmed villain

We may have found out a spoiler. 

I personally guess he will be behind at least one of the villains, if not both in this movie, and decide to take matters into his own hands at the end-for a cliffhanger

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2006 at 12:07pm | IP Logged | 2  

Today's (1/13/06) new "Year One" web comic strip is pretty cute and relates to Spider-Man and costumes!:

http://yearone.spiderspawn.com/

The strip has just concluded its' own version of the Venom/symbiote costume saga.

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 January 2006 at 12:47pm | IP Logged | 3  

Harkens back to the days when the separators
would foget the blue on Spider-Man's costume, and
what was left would be flesh toned!
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2006 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 4  

"Egad! I've left home without the blue shirt of my costume, but only the red hood-and-demisleeves! And what happened to my pants?" (Spider-Man, having a really bad costume day)

Edited by Andrew Bitner on 13 January 2006 at 12:56pm

Thomas Mets
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2006 at 3:07pm | IP Logged | 5  

Millionaire arms dealer is horribly injured in freak accident. Uses technology to save his life -- and also to become a superhero, when he could just as easily have stayed home.

Yeah -- my definition of "jerk" all right!

As to the alcoholism -- as I have noted before, this was a totally artificial contrivance. The writers decided to make Tony an alcoholic, with absolutely no prior suggestion of any such problems. Quite the contrary, in fact. So first they had to shoehorn in all these "reasons" for him to take up drinking -- "reasons" which might fit mere mortals, but not someone like Tony Stark.

Much applauded, much awarded story -- imho, total piece of crap that violated the character completely.

A few things about the Iron Man alcoholism story.
1. It's my favorite Iron Man story, not only for scenes with a drunken Iron Man & Tony's decision to stop drinking, but other great moments like Iron Man's armor being used to kill a siplomat, and his battle
2. I'm very happy to have found a copy of the Power of Iron Man (which includes that epic), an dwish Marvel would just publish a new version of the trade, or a series of David Michelline Visionaries trades.
3. There's really no point for anyone else to do a Tony goes on a bender story since it's been done so well the first time, and another relapse will just make Tony seem weaker.
4. Stan Lee wrote the introduction to the trade, beginning with "The gripping stories that await you on the pages ahead are different from any you have encountered before. The conception is courageous, the execution masterful, and the finished product an example of how truly meaningful and relevant a comic book saga can be." He praises "the gradual deterioration of one of the world's greatest heroes." While admitting comic books should entertain he writes "our characters must always be as real as the restraints of fiction will allow. They fight, they love, they win, they lose, they suffer, they laugh, and sometimes- they stumble."
When Stan Lee praises a work be it this, or the Spider-Man movie, I will not complain about the tale violating his intentions for a character.

Luckily, in Spider-Man's case at least, I have lots of back issues to search for that feature the character done right so I don't feel like I have no new (to me) Spider-Man stories to read.  Iron Man, however, is not so lucky.  I own his every appearance in TALES OF SUSPENSE and IRON MAN, and about 85-90% of his AVENGERS appearances, so there's a void of competent Iron Man comics out there for me right now.
I've heard good things about the Iron Man: Inevitable mini series from people who hated the Ellis run, so you may want to check that out.
A positive review can be found at http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=22183

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 13 January 2006 at 3:13pm | IP Logged | 6  

Thomas Mets wrote:
When Stan Lee praises a work be it this, or the Spider-Man movie, I will not complain about the tale violating his intentions for a character.

I love Stan.  I really do.  But he's a Marvel mouthpiece.  That's what he's paid to do as the recognizable figurehead of the company.  Hell, he praised THE PUNISHER and FF as well as other projects, both film and comic books, that I've thought were terrible, so I wouldn't go on his say-so alone regarding the intentions of a character.  He's not paid to give his opinions.  He's paid to speak for Marvel.  I take that with a huge heaping cup o' salt.

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2006 at 3:18pm | IP Logged | 7  

I really did not think THE PUNISHER was that bad a movie.  It was pretty much as good as a Punisher movie as I expected.

(As you may be able to tell, he is not my fav character in solo adventures anyway).

Still, I have never read IRON MAN: ALCOHOLIC, though it is something that has been praised from all quarters since I started reading. One of THE must reads.

Strangely, many of THE must reads I have never read.

Stan has always said that he thought the writers and artists who followed his run as writer and editor shouldn't have to come to him for approval.

He has also said he doesn't read a heckuva lot of comics. But I love his introductions. Miss them on the newest MASTERWORKS

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2006 at 4:35pm | IP Logged | 8  

http://www.newsarama.com/JoeFridays/JF33art/JQ_V01.jpg

Sadly, I was relieved that those are mechanical arms.

Mike Bunge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2006 at 4:38pm | IP Logged | 9  

Wow.  I can't believe that suit is even uglier in a fully-drawn image than it was in the rough design sketch.

Mike

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2006 at 4:41pm | IP Logged | 10  

I think it looks pretty good-much better than the quick sketch.  Still nothing like the original or black costume, but the colors look much better than before.

Oh. Did not notice those mechanical arms in the back. I'm sure they serve a story purpose, but I'd say.... no to those

Edited by Rob Hewitt on 13 January 2006 at 4:53pm

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2006 at 4:44pm | IP Logged | 11  

The eyes on his face mask are really low. I don't know if this is stylistic or if it means Peter's face is deformed in some way.

Wasn't there a character with mechanical arms like that? He wanted to be Spider-Man's sidekick. I don't remember his name.

Taavi Suhonen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2006 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 12  

Ollie Osnick. He first was a kid version of Doctor Octopus, but after having his plan to rob a toystore undone by Spider-Man, he started idolising him instead. In the 90's Marvel quickly aged him to what looked like the same age Peter was at the time and gave him the identity of Steel Spider. No, I'm not kidding.

Edited by Taavi Suhonen on 13 January 2006 at 4:54pm

<< Prev Page of 76 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version