Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 76 Next >>
Topic: Title Change: Spider-Man Thread (Now with New Costume) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2006 at 8:45am | IP Logged | 1  

Joe, we're Spider-Man fans. We know what makes him special, we remember the great stories about him. It's not rocket science, and we don't have to follow the franchise every week to know something has really gone wrong in the editorial offices of Marvel.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2006 at 8:49am | IP Logged | 2  

It sometimes feels like a majority of the people who complain haven’t even been reading Spider-Man for years. 

I know Matt until recently was a consistent Spider-man reader for a long long time.

But it does bring up a point abiout some people.  "I haven't read Spider-man in 20 years.  Aaargh! I hate that new costume.  I will voice my displeasure by.... continuing to not read Spider-man.  That will send a message."

Letters are probably more effective. 

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2006 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 3  

Joe Mayer: It sometimes feels like a majority of the people who complain haven’t even been reading Spider-Man for years.

I stopped reading AMAZING SPIDER-MAN after "Sins Past."  That story just finally made me realize that Marvel has no clue how to handle the character correctly.

I've been reading Spider-Man for twenty-five years.  I used to read every title he was in.  Next to Iron Man, he's my favorite character.  In effect, this Iron Spider thing does a double hit to me, since it seems out of character for both of Peter Parker and Tony Stark. 

Luckily, in Spider-Man's case at least, I have lots of back issues to search for that feature the character done right so I don't feel like I have no new (to me) Spider-Man stories to read.  Iron Man, however, is not so lucky.  I own his every appearance in TALES OF SUSPENSE and IRON MAN, and about 85-90% of his AVENGERS appearances, so there's a void of competent Iron Man comics out there for me right now.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Ed Deans.
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2006 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 4  

QUOTE:
If you get a mortorcycle license, can you automatically drive a car?
I'm wondering because I seem to recall now, he had no problem with the
motorcycle, so why did he have such problem with the Spider-mobile. In
fact I think they even said then he didn't have a license. Hmm. Was Peter
riding around like the Governator?

*sigh* At least in CA, no. A two-wheel motorcycle license restricts you to
just that: two wheels. While not having a motorcycle endorsement on his
CA driver's license, under state law the Governator didn't need one
because his motorcycle had a side-car. There's been a lot of
misinformation on that story by a lazy press.

Don't ask me how he was allowed to ride the two-wheel bike in T2 but
that's the likelihood the studio is going bare the risks if he wasn't skilled
and lawful for the shoot? He did have a European motorcycle license at
some point. Maybe that was valid then.
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2006 at 11:02am | IP Logged | 5  

I haven't been able to locate an unlocked thread about the 3rd "Spider-Man" film, so I'm going to post the tidbit I have in this thread, as it is related to the character.

My friend sent me a quote from a website, but didn't let me know where it came from. I'll post the source as soon as I learn it, unless someone here recognizes it first. Anyway, it deals with someone who says that they have seen what the villains look like in the new film:

Basically the costume design in spiderman 3 is a disaster, just like Mr. Green Goblin in the first Spidey. Our scooper writes in, "If you thought the first 'Spiderman' was bad in terms of development, just wait until you see the next film. The first problem is with Venom's costume, which Spiderman wears first. Instead of being pure black, they took a bit from the comic and gave it a disgusting purple tint. In the comic the reason for the tint was to Venom stood out in the shadows, but in film there's no reason for this. Now I've actually seen the costume designs and they're terrible. The purple looks awful.

And yes it gets much, much worse. All I can say about the Hobgoblin outfit is "yikes"! He looks like a skateboarder or something.
"

Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2006 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 6  

Ed: Don't ask me how he was allowed to ride the two-wheel bike in T2 but
that's the likelihood the studio is going bare the risks if he wasn't skilled
and lawful for the shoot? He did have a European motorcycle license at
some point. Maybe that was valid then.

Considering his last valid license (from what I read) was in Austria pre-1968 (when he moved to the US), I doubt he had a legit license to ride a motorcycle. Probably it was a case of "don't ask, don't tell" by James Cameron, which would constitute serious negligence.

If the insurance bought on Schwarzenegger for T2 included stunts (and it must have), if he didn't have a valid license, the insurance company wouldn't have paid off for a motorcycle accident.

Cameron is probably slapping his forehead with relief that he dodged a bullet on that score.

Edited by Andrew Bitner on 13 January 2006 at 11:16am

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2006 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 7  

I would never even think to ask, just assume The Terminator could!

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2006 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 8  

I don't remember his highlights ever being purple in the comics, either. Blue, but not purple. ( Love the fact you used purple text BTW). Didn't know Hobgoblin was a confirmed villain. I just thought Venom and Sandman were.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2006 at 11:18am | IP Logged | 9  

Venom ought to be solid black-- no need for friggin' highlights in the movies! Yeesh!

As for Hobgoblin, I assume that's what Harry Osborn will be, rather than Green Goblin II. But yes, Venom (Topher Grace) and Sandman (Thomas Haden Church) are definitely in the movie. No idea how prominent any of the three will be, however.

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2006 at 11:21am | IP Logged | 10  

Roger, what do you think of Iron Man: Ineveitable?

Joe M, I too bought Spider-Man up till after "Sins Past" then I even picked up as back issues the ones between that and "Other". Since I have to order all my books with previews (i.e 2 months early) I cannot afford to ride it out and see where it goes. It looks like I made the right call on "Other" and this new stuff gives me no reason to want to come back. At this point, to me, Ult. Spider-Man is closer to the "Real" Spider-Man than the other 3 combined.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2006 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 11  

Wow Matt Hawes. It really IS Friday the 13th isn't it? Sheesh.

Lance Hill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2006 at 11:35am | IP Logged | 12  

QUOTE:
I don't remember his highlights ever being purple in the comics, either. Blue, but not purple.

The highlights were purple in Ultimate Spider-Man.

A movie "Venom" costume needs blue/purple highlights like a movie Superman needs blue hair dye.

<< Prev Page of 76 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version