Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 76 Next >>
Topic: Title Change: Spider-Man Thread (Now with New Costume) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2006 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 1  

"I just think that it is a temporary thing"

Sure, it's temporary. Everything in comics is. But why can't they get a new costume designed right? Why can't these idiots do anything right?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2006 at 2:25pm | IP Logged | 2  

don't forget the new powers they've been hinting about)

I wonder if it will be new powers, or new tricks in the suit (Iron-Spider and all that).

I will say I started reading more or less when the Black Costume was being used an awful lot and I was ok.

Spidey's stories were pretty dark at that time in fact!* and did not loosen up much until the Michilienie/McFarlane era really

*Granted not as dark as The Other. But heck, Kraven did shoot SPidey and bury him, and then blew his brains out!

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2006 at 2:26pm | IP Logged | 3  

But why can't they get a new costume designed right?

I really don't think it is that bad!  It's recognizably Spider-man without being Spider-man's costume.  The colors are weird, but that is apparently plot driven by whatever is happening with Iron Man/Civil War

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2006 at 2:31pm | IP Logged | 4  

It's recognizably Spider-man without being Spider-man's costume

I don't agree with this at all. To guys reading comic books, maybe. To those that don't, I don't think it is recognizable as Spider-Man. I e-mailed it to two of my cousins ( both of which used to read comics and both of which are heavily into HeroClix) to see if they could tell me what it was. One asked why Venom was colored differently and the other had no idea whatsoever. Thought it was for some indy book I had discovered. Both were stunned to learn it was Spidey's new duds. Even more stunned to learn it may be some goofy armor Tony Stark designed for him.

Back to Top profile | search

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2006 at 2:40pm | IP Logged | 5  

Not having read any of the current storyline,can anyone tell me why Spidey needed a costume from Tony Stark?

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2006 at 2:42pm | IP Logged | 6  

Because some people asked, the motorcycle was there for a lot of issues, starting with #41 up to #66 (a lot of classic stories there, including the one Peter gives up his secret identity). I neither remember nor came accross any comments from Peter's friends about it being out of character as I flipped through the essentials volumes. I do recall the girls commending on his choice though and that aunt May thought it was good despite her natural and usual concern.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2006 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 7  

If he said it was Venom, then he had a clue, since that was his last alternative costume.

I don't think anyone who is told this is an alternate costume as the covers will no doubt shout out will have a problem. (not to mention the logos, webspinnig and all that) will have a problem. AGain, I didn't when I saw this or this

I figured it out

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2006 at 2:46pm | IP Logged | 8  

Not having read any of the current storyline,can anyone tell me why Spidey needed a costume from Tony Stark?

SPOILERS FOR THE OTHER

When Spider-man "died," Tony and co. got rid of all the costumes (his body was in Avengers Tower), except one, because they were going to claim Pete had died in some horrible way, and they wanted to get rid of the evidence, except one costume for a private memorial.

Pete got better.  Tony said "sorry, MJ and I destroyed all your costumes, save one,but I actually have a couple of ideas for a new one I've been throwing around."

Pete said "I'm too tired Tony from having been dead. Maybe later."

Edited by Rob Hewitt on 12 January 2006 at 2:47pm

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2006 at 2:48pm | IP Logged | 9  

About the costume, my problem is that it comes on top of a lot of controversial (imo really bad all of them) storylines about Peter that makes it harder to accept, as well as that the costume is just ugly. It has a 90s vibe and it doesn;t look like they thought this over all that much. It's just fitting that most people here compare it to the stupid changes made during the nineties.

The black costume, besides being a lot more elegant, had the advantage of being the first major Spider-Man costume change and kept Spider-Man's low profile look. This one is just another costume and a really bad one.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 12 January 2006 at 2:49pm | IP Logged | 10  

To me, it has more to do with what the costume represents than the actual costume itself.  First off, da Q mentions gimmicks, and I don't see Spider-Man as a "gimmick" hero. Neither should Tony Stark, who has worked with him and been around him for a while. Secondly, it's described as an "Iron Spider Design".  Now, that could just be because Tony Stark designed it, but the costume itself looks like it is constructed out of a shiny material, especially the gold parts.  That doesn't scream "Spider-Man" and "mobility" at all.  Finally, Tony Stark saying "My design, my colors!" seems totally out-of-character, so out-of-character that it makes me believe that he's only acting that way to further CIVIL WAR as a plot element and not driven by what Stark would realistically do. That, to me, is boneheaded and bad writing.

As much as I hate the design, I hate what I see as the reason for the design even more.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2006 at 2:50pm | IP Logged | 11  

If he said it was Venom, then he had a clue, since that was his last alternative costume.

But how many new readers are gonna have that "inside" information?

Mike Bunge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2006 at 2:51pm | IP Logged | 12  

Tony said "sorry, MJ and I destroyed all your costumes, save one,but I actually have a couple of ideas for a new one I've been throwing around."

Tony Stark is Edna Mode!

Mike

<< Prev Page of 76 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version