Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 June 2024 at 4:25pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

LINK
Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2024 at 4:52pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

But it's all fine really, just the back and forth see-saw of law and un-law where everything is totally normal, because... "elections have consequences" tm (c) pat pend (R)

Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Murphy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2024 at 6:47pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Justice Alito recently said Congress cant regulate the Supreme Court so maybe Connecticut should decide the Supreme Court can't regulate the state?

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2024 at 8:17pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

One of the better laws introduced by the Trump administration falls by the wayside. The Supreme Court ruling is hard to read, because it is so disingenuous.

eg. 'Congress defined a machinegun by what happens “automatically” by a single function of the trigger. Simply pressing and holding the trigger down on a fully automatic rifle is not manual input in addition to
a trigger’s function. By contrast, pushing forward on the front grip of
a semiautomatic rifle equipped with a bump stock is not part of functioning the trigger.'

It's quite mealy-mouthed...

Congress introduced the act with the aim of banning dangerous weapons that could fire automatically. The Supreme Court doesn't care that the bump stocks allow the effect to be the same, they are entirely interested, apparently, with the trigger mechanism and how much manual input goes into firing.

As Sottomayer says in her dissent: the 'reading fixates on a firearm’s internal mechanics while ignoring the human act on the trigger referenced by the statute.'

The Supreme Court's ruling seems to achieve a kind of double-think which says the bump stock, an accessory that is sold on its ability to automate the firing process to be indistinguishable in effect from a machine gun, does not technically automate the firing process and is therefore OK by us, even though indistinguishable in effect from a machine gun. 

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2024 at 8:24pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Just from a logical perspective, shouldn't the end result of the two devices together constitute a wholly distinct device? A device created to be nearly indistinguishable from an automatic rifle in function and 100% identical in result of its usage.

I don't know what the fuck is up with this court - yes, Alito and Thomas are distinctly corrupt and operate from a world view based in ultra-paleo conservatism, but this is such a willful misreading of the Constitution that I have to think they actually like the bloodshed.

Also notable that the two Justices whose spouses supported the January 6th Insurrection are the two who are voting to make it easier to put battlefield weapons in the hands of civilians.  Wishing like hell that's just a coincidence.

Edited by Dave Kopperman on 14 June 2024 at 8:26pm

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2024 at 8:36pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Guh.  I just reread the above and realized that Alito/Thomas ARE, in fact, using their own originalist thinking: the J6 insurrection, in their view, was a well-regulated militia.  

After all, it doesn't state who should do the regulating.

Fuck these fuckers.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2024 at 10:18pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

If you're ever under fire from someone using a bump stock, perhaps if you find a way to disguise yourselves as a fetus that can only survive hours or minutes outside the womb? They will totally have your back then!

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2024 at 4:34pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The Republican party has no interest in the safety, security, or well-being of the American public. They want to ensure that the rich get richer, the middle and working classes are reduced to economic slavery under the heel of the rich, and the poor are treated as disposable commodities at best and trash at worst.
Part of this is ensuring that women and minorities have no agency nor control over their bodies, lives, education, or futures, and that the rest of us can struggle as much as we want but we serve (and survive) at the whim of our plutocratic overlords.
It's the most inhuman vision for a future I could imagine.
And the Supreme Court is packed with Republicans loyal to their cause.
Make of that what you will.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2024 at 4:35pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

It should go without saying how greatly I despise the current Republican party and its enablers, especially Thomas and Alito, neither of whom deserves to be anywhere near the Court.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2024 at 4:37pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Finally, it won't surprise me much if we reach a point soon where a state responds to a Supreme Court verdict with "yeah, screw off, we're not doing that--and we dare you to enforce it." It will shatter the federalist system under which we've lived as a nation but... some things break when pushed to the breaking point, and we are getting there on more than a few fronts.

Side note: more likely, the first of these challenges will be "we'll take it under review" and fail to change their policy "while the review of the Court's ruling is completed." But the message to the Court will be clear: we're ignoring your decision.

Edited by Andrew Bitner on 15 June 2024 at 4:38pm

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2024 at 1:46pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The behavior of the Supreme court requires that I wail into the wind pointlessly asking the Dems to EXPAND THE COURT. This is a legit option that CAN be done legislatively. 

Another harder but not crazy approach would be to fully embrace DC and Puerto Rico statehood.

This court is the most out of step with the vast majority we've seen in my lifetime (maybe ever?) and something besides handwringing needs to be done about it. They are effectively employing minority rule over the majority which is certainly not the intent of the founders the Repubs claim to revere so much.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 June 2024 at 2:30pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Last night I rewatched SHOOT ‘EM UP, a Clive Owen movie from 2007 that’s basically a Bugs Bunny cartoon on super-steroids.

This time I found myself thinking its GUNS GUNS GUNS* philosophy is how most of the gun nuts view our country.

________

* Source the quote!

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version