Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 57 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN 27--Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 26 October 2021 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Every page is so strong on this one - you're firing on all cylinders with this one,
JB! I just love seeing Cap and Bucky come up in this one. You've always had
such a great talent for weaving the larger Marvel universe into your stories.

Back to Top profile | search

Jean Sterling Ajouissance
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2021 at 1:33pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

See, that's the whole thing about plausible deniability as it relates to comic lore.  On the one hand, you have the Batman being constantly vexed by a rogues' gallery of bad guys on par with Stilt-Man and Batroc ---  but then in the intervening issues he's taking down critters like Darkseid or Black Adam.
"Prep time" is DC's "unstable molecules."   It doesn't have to "make sense" as long as the writer/artist makes it feel like it makes sense.

Nightcrawler might have a grab bag of powers that don't seem to connect logically --  but does transforming your body into solid steel or shooting laser beams outta your eyeballs really track?  Really?  
It's comic books  :D    So we just have fun with it when it feels right.

Bone marrow,  white corpuscles...  as long as the writer/artist makes it make sense to the reader, then we just ride with it.

I've had too many disagreements with folks who chose to not-see that Wolverine began that sequence in #133 with a complete uniform, but after being shot there was a clear shotgun-sized hole in the back of his shirt.  I never knew about Shooter's meddling there...  it just didn't make sense that Logan only took a glancing shot there when we saw what really happened.   There was a disconnect with the dialogue.

Same thing with Peter and the tree trunk.   Didn't we just see Colossus uproot an entire tree with minimal effort when they were fighting Dark Phoenix in #136?  But now he has to struggle with a stump?

Writer/artist disconnect.

We just have to be selective with our disbelief, I guess  ---  but fortunately, with ELSEWHEN, we get none'a that guff.

(I'd really love to see what Claremont thinks of this series  ---  cuz you know good'n well that he's reading it on the down low >:^D )

Jean Sterling Ajouissance
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2021 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

And I totally bit the hook on the whole incorrect-Proteus wishful-think.
Ha!  That's what I get >:^D

John Northey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2021 at 6:08pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

All I really need is internal consistency.  IE: you show us that Wolverines claws are mechanical (X-Men #142) then that is what they are, or the writer better come up with a good reason why that old story is no longer relevant (could've had mechanical helpers for his claws to make them quicker or sharper maybe) if continuity is a thing.  Same for aging - the 'always been around 10-20 years' thing can work if you don't lock them into a time frame (ala WWII).  The original JSA still fighting at age 80+ was pulling me out of the stories too often (I know they made some weird way to explain it but it never stuck with me).

While overanalyzing can be fun at times, I prefer the comics themselves to minimize it.  It was fun in Next Men to see a lot of the consequences of having powers (being invulnerable leading to no feeling, the horror of being trapped in a volcano for decades, centuries even, super speed leading to crazy thick legs and a need to make the skin super tough, etc.) but that wouldn't work well long term as the stories would get bogged down by too much analysis and the like.  Sub 50 issues worked well, but if it was in the middle of a Marvel Universe (for example) I can't imagine it lasting - see New Universe (for a weaker version).
Back to Top profile | search | www

Dean Munday
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2021 at 6:43pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Re: Wolverine's healing factor / adamantium skeleton (etc!):

Saints preserve us from the application of 'real world' laws of nature; having to account-for or justify-why any aspect of a comic book character might be realistically explicable. Choose that path and no superhero character would ever be published. Embrace the absurdity and the enjoyment shall flourish.

L Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2021 at 6:37am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Nice, tying in to the Invaders and leading the way to Mariko in just one page.

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2021 at 6:52am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Amazing page today, so much to love.  The death of Hitler = wow.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 October 2021 at 6:54am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I'm tempted to make Adolf's demise a little more graphic, having no Comics Code to restrain me.

Hmmmmm..........

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 October 2021 at 6:59am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

BTW, I've decided to buy myself a little extra time by breaking my "First Monday" rule, and starting next issue on the second Monday of November, the 8th.

Joseph Gauthier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2021 at 7:04am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Just imagining how that must have smelled to someone with Wolverine's sense of smell is pretty graphic on it's own!

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2021 at 7:04am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

...more graphic?

GO FOR IT.

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2021 at 7:06am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Slow down, B, you're losin' 'em! ~ To paraphrase an iconic rap artist when overwhelmed by the quality of entertainment being presented to them :) < id="protanopia"> < id="deuteranopia"> < id="tritanopia">

So many questions, no great the need to supress them until this tale has been told!

<< Prev Page of 57 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version