Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 53 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN 22 --Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2021 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Definitely not gonna disagree with you, Mr. Byrne.
I was just adding some flavor toward the 'classic' look, seeing as how so many others were favoring the 'new.'

Your retrofit of Mr. Logan was, and still is, the standard-bearer for all of his outfits that followed.  Likewise, your revamp of Dr. Doom was pretty sweet even without the cape.  I'm not sure why that worked so well with him, but it did.

Cockrum's 70's style did have its hits and misses...   but Superman came out in the 30's, and his cape has only since gotten bigger   :^D
Back to Top profile | search

John Northey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2021 at 8:53am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Cape or not it all depends on the character and the story.  Superman without a cape looks wrong, as does Batman for example, Storm went without in the comics for awhile (the mohawk era) and it worked for that version I feel (even if that version didn't 'feel' like Storm).  For this version I think a wait and see is best for us fans.  In this story though it works with the metal flowing everywhere and other stuff getting torn up.  I'm just thankful Mags undies survived - rather not look at his bare bottom.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2021 at 9:00am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Seeing Magneto without his cape on page 15 has a greater implication on this page than simply discussing the merit of cape vs. no cape.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 May 2021 at 9:03am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Early Marvel (Silver Age) largely eschewed capes. The FF, Spider-Man, the X-Men, the Hulk, Iron Man, Ant-Man and so on. Doctor Strange and Thor had capes and, curiously, it was more often the villains who turned up in capes. Doom, Magneto, the Mole Man, etc.

This might have been a conscious decision to "look different from DC", tho it is interesting to note that some of DC's relaunched characters--Green Lantern and the Atom, for instance--didn't have capes either, tho the originals did.

I've tended to steer away from capes in my own designs, tho I can't really say it was a conscious choice. Count Nefaria, in his "superman" form, had a cape, as did Snowbird. But mostly, not so much.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2021 at 10:17am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

A cape can add a sense of grandeur, but I'm looking forward to a more streamlined look for Storm. That said, my fingers are crossed in hopes she retains the black and gold (yellow) color scheme.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 May 2021 at 10:21am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I gave about two seconds thought to keeping the placeholder but making it white. In black and white she’d look nekkid!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2021 at 10:23am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

We can always look back at earlier comics if we want to see the '70s Storm outfit. I think it's great and of it's time, but also fairly timeless unlike some of the other designs (no bell bottoms for Ororo). I didn't like the supposed punk leather-fishnets and mohawk storm (plus vampire teeth) circa the mid '80s... long after the UK 'punk' moment had passed anyway. Did Xavier's students want to draw attention to themselves? I would think not.

QUOTE:
I found she is not in costume at all, on any of the pages, favoring civvies.

Which is good news as one of the things that most impressed me with the modern X-Men when I finally picked one up late 1979 was scenes where they were wearing clothing like I could actually see on people, thus lending that extra reality weight to the proceedings! Up to then comic book people usually had comic book clothing, totally generic, or stereotypical hippie or scientist. Jean, Kitty and Scott were wearing stuff with thought and personality in it, and maybe excepting Kitty back then... style! They looked 'maahhvelous' on the streets of NYC, and Ororo on the streets of Chicago (and Wolv's personality was expressed in his western attire while Peter was looking very much exchange student). I don't have to pull those issues out to remember clearly what they were wearing. :^)

I've often said "who wears capes" (long before The Incredibles), but Doctor Strange really wears his; it's a living thing! So when Marvel does capes it really does them! Snowbird's and Storm's are both definitely not your off the rack capes either. Very bespoke.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 22 May 2021 at 10:26am

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2021 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I’m usually an ‘art is more important’ comics guy, but, in cases such as
with Storm, I’m so freaking in love with her and have been since I was
10, that no matter her outfit, she’ll always just be a goddess.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2021 at 5:53pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I don't personally see the disco thing in Storm's classic costume -- I think it looks kind of timeless -- but not against a modification per se, though I would prefer it along those lines. That is, a small modification that retains the general feel.

Which is to say, I would prefer the placeholder to be a placeholder rather than a longer-term thing.

Regarding the latest page: awesome picture of Magneto rising before them and a nice juxtaposition of think first real Cyclops with shoot first alt Cyclops.

Steven Queen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2021 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I feel the need to advocate for one over-looked, cape-challenged hero and put forth this:

Wolverine needs a cape.

...A little short one...like Robin's.

I think, now that it's written down, as I've done here (no need to thank me...yet)---it's so obviously a grand idea that I imagine all of comic fandom will gather under this ideological tent.

Sincerely, with utmost passion and disrespect,

The Idiot Squad

P.S. Have you heard that John Byrne is giving Storm Crocs!?!

Tom Perkowitz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2021 at 9:04am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I always assumed Storm fly by controlling the wind. Without the cape, wouldn't that take almost hurricane force winds that would mess up everything around her?

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2021 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I agree with Tom. She needed a cape to control her wind-enduced flight. When she couldn't fly anymore, she ditched the cape (or was it the other way round ?)

<< Prev Page of 53 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version