Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2021 at 10:46am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Sandals?
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 May 2021 at 11:11am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Doing a little googling I found some flip flops that, with some extra support, might be a good design.

(BYRNE THINKS STORM SHOULD WEAR FLIP FLOPS! Idiot squad, feel free to cut and paste.)

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2021 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Loved this page, and thought it was interesting that our Scott wanted to hold back a sec while alt-Scott was "damn the torpedoes!" Reflects a profound difference in their outlooks.

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2021 at 1:57pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

JB,

Looking at the both Cyclop's (Cyclopes? Cyke's?), your rendering of them will always bring Neal Adams to mind.

A wonderful page!

Richard Palmgren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2021 at 2:07pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Speaking of Cyclops,

Here's a question:

How did you feel about Dave's "glowing eyes showing in the visor" ?  You kept it for a bunch of issues before going to the "all red, one eye" look and I was curious if there was a reason for your change?

( the question came up when I thought your top panel of Jean, Scott, Bobby and Warren a couple of pages ago reflected their stances from the cover of GSXM 1, so I had to break out a copy to see)

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member
Evertonian

Posted: 21 May 2021 at 3:11pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Storm no doubt has toughened soles from years of being barefoot, just like Modesty Blaise!
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 May 2021 at 3:42pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

How did you feel about Dave's "glowing eyes showing in the visor" ? You kept it for a bunch of issues before going to the "all red, one eye" look and I was curious if there was a reason for your change?

•••

Visible eyes made no sense to me. “Cyclops”, right?

(And, yes, I know Kirby did it a few times. He also had Bobby use his power to make ice cream!)

Jason K Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2021 at 4:44pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Storm's new outfit looks very similar to the yoga gear I've seen in my yoga classes. Lots of fashion these days seems to be superhero inspired.

Joseph Gauthier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2021 at 6:35pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

There's something about Ororo's current, temporary look that resonates with me.

I feel the same way, and I think the reason why is that the new slim costume allows her hair and face to breathe. Those features (at least for me) are the real visual star for Ororo and the flowing cape becomes almost like the guest who out-dresses the bride on her wedding day.
...but with that said, that thought never occurred to me before seeing this new costume, and probably never would have without it.

Jean Sterling Ajouissance
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2021 at 8:16am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

In the lore of comicdom, there seems to be those characters for whom the addition of a cape adds majesty.  Thor, Vision, Count Nefaria --  these characters would perhaps seem less *themselves* if they were to sport the "skin tight" ( no cape ) look.

Both Superman and Gladiator are kingly in stature, so it wouldn't exactly feel right if they were regularly fitted with an Atom-esque look, would it?

Storm, likewise, fits that elevated stature of quasi-royalty.  Her cape adds that sense of majesty; her power and disposition commands the sort of respect and reverence that grant her her cape-carrying cred.  
She's regal.  She wears a crown ( ish ).

Naturally, we'd never be comfy with characters like the bludgeoning Beast, Wolverine, Sprite, or Nightcrawler encumbered with capes.  Right?  So my vote is to have those who can, do.

Wise man once recently quipped,  "If it's already broken, leave it broken."  Likewise,  "The people who created the character(s) probably got it right."

So as a placeholder, Storm's new look is pretty sweet.  But in the long term, Catwoman she ain't.

From recent trends it seems like very few are taking this position, because her new look does look spiffy...  but Storm's majesty doesn't really feel like it requires any sort of long term visual fix.  Does it?

Edited by Jean Sterling Ajouissance on 22 May 2021 at 8:22am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 May 2021 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

"The people who created the character(s) probably got it right."

••

I'm not suggesting they didn't.

However, in this case, they got in right in the mid Seventies, and, as we have noted before, there is a distinct Disco vibe to some of Dave's designs.

Not a problem, then, but I feel a need for something more sleek in the new non-time of ELSEWHEN.

Or not. Who knows?

(Funnily enough, I looked at some of those "ahead" pages I've drawn in the past few month, thinking if Storm was in her traditional costume on any of those, that would make the decision for me. I found she is not in costume at all, on any of the pages, favoring civvies. Was I being prescient?)

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2021 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Seems we're all in agreement that we like Storm's new look!

<< Prev Page of 53 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version