Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Outdoing Themselves Again (Spoilers) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2017 at 4:03am | IP Logged | 1  

Also, in a specific way, DC's Super Powers (anyone remember that?) mirrored Marvel's Secret Wars in that it served one main purpose... to sell toys.

Much as Saturday morning cartoons had turned into 30 minute commercials for a lot of properties, those two comic series seemed intended to push toys. I understood it, but I disliked it; but at the time, I was actually somewhat interested in that vague SW storyline, even though it was incoherent, inconsistent, and really pretty pointless except as a reason to change the Marvel status quo and to push some toys.

And at that, maybe I'm misremembering (crazy old man) but the only changes that took were that She-Hulk remained with the FF and Spider-Man's black costume. Oh, and maybe Lockheed the dragon... one of the crudest deus ex machinas I recall. Sigh...
Back to Top profile | search

John Cole
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2017 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 2  

I Thought most of this nonsense started with Mutant Massacre and became nothing more than The X-Men event of the year.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2017 at 4:48pm | IP Logged | 3  

Marvel issues a statement concerning the Steve Rogers backlash.

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2017 at 6:13pm | IP Logged | 4  

Not even clicking the link, but it occurs to me that if
Marvel doesn't want fans flipping out over stupid
announcements, then maybe they shouldn't make stupid
announcements. Just a thought.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 May 2017 at 6:21pm | IP Logged | 5  

I don't think -- and this is strictly my opinion, mind you -- I don't think anyone at the present incarnation of Marvel understands the concept of saturation, at least not in a sense other than flooding the market.

For several decades they have piled stunt upon stunt, until even the most gullible fans/collectors have reached a point where they respond to an outrageous stunt with "But that doesn't make sense!"

And from that moment, they're out of the web.

Darin Henry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2017 at 10:13pm | IP Logged | 6  

I honestly think the direct market has become a game of the big 2 publishers competing to soak up the most retailer capital.  100 monthly titles, 1 in 1000 chase variants and double shipping are all examples of it and the low margin comic book biz means most retailers still fall for it because Marvel and DC are the smartes andthe safest bets.  Of course with all their ordering budgets tied up with two or three publishers, less established publishers have no way of being stocked unless it's pre-ordered by a pull list subscriber, in which case, why even bother getting distributed into comic stores since clearly those customers are already willing to buy the book sight unseen. 

I found it very telling when Marvel blamed the downturn in their sales on DC's temporary returnability policy for Rebirth. Essentially they were calling out DC for being better at the game than they've been.  And God forbid Marvel ever make any of their books returnable because they may desperately want to tie up retailer capital but they never want to risk having to give any of it back.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2017 at 5:11am | IP Logged | 7  

My current issues with events:
1) Co-ordination seems poor - comics contradict each other, events don't match up, even mini-series launched specific to an event do not match up - anyone remember the Spider-Man mini that went with House of M? Bore no relation to what was in the main comic at all
Editors say it is difficult to keep track of things and things 'slip through' That was not a case of slipping through, it was a major screw up. Hint, if you are making it so big you can't keep track of it, it's too big, and too complicated - scale it back

2) launching new mini-series to compliment the main event
One event comic and all the cross overs are enough. To have an event cross over in to Spider-man and then launch another Spider-man mini attached to the event is just rediculous

3) Multiple events happening at the same time
This is just crazy. There are events happening, events starting to happen and events still picking up the pieces all at the same time. Do comics even get a chance to breath and tell their own story nowadays? Spider-man may well be focused on the clone conspiracy, or whatever his event is at the moment, but that means all the other Spider-man titles are also focused on that

4) Cross-over comics that aren't
Hey kids, buy this comic, it's part of the new mega-event. Yeah, for one panel.
I know I should be pleased with that, as it means the comic can do its own thing, but it pretends it's part of the thing it isn't

5) Shipping times
This just screws up everything. The new launches are out way before the event is actually finished - Civil War II and Secret Wars being prime examples of that. Look, if you can't get it out on time, work through exactly what you are going to do. in fact, the more I think about this, the more I think every event at Marvel since House of M has failed to complete on time. Civil war I was so late, JMS had to tread water on a story for months

Yeah, that ought to about do it

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 May 2017 at 7:45am | IP Logged | 8  

4) Cross-over comics that aren't

••

Ah, yes! Remember DC's "red skies" comics?

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2017 at 8:53am | IP Logged | 9  

I know now that it wasn't your fault, JB, but I remember 12 year old me being cheesed when I bought FF#282 (on a limited allowance) since it was listed as a Secret Wars II crossover, when it really just had a panel redrawn from a scene that already appeared in the regular series.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2017 at 5:31am | IP Logged | 10  

It would be one thing if the characters' popularity had been decreasing along with the books' sales, but, unfortunately for whatever rationale the comics honchos have for all their many inexplicable decisions of the last few years, the Marvel heroes are more popular than ever...in the movies.

The Marvel movies have been presenting the heroes as earnest and, well, heroic--and making billions of dollars doing so.  At most, their worst compromises are in the wardrobe department (though I note that the closer Captain America's uniform gets to the comic version, the better it looks on screen!).  The movies are still in the CONSTRUCTION phase of things, and hopefully will be for many years to come.

The comics, on the other hand, are in the DECONSTRUCTION phase, leading to debacles-in-progress like "Cap as Hydra/Nazi."  ("No, really, this is the way he's always been!  Everything you know is a lie!" from the writer and editor--and now, it's "Wait, we didn't mean that!  Wait and see!  Trust us!" from the marketing department.)

In a metaphysical sense, it's like the iconic heroes we've known and loved for decades have outgrown the confines of 22 monthly pages of "just" paper and "graduated" to the big screen or even the small (TV) screen, leaving their "ghosts" or afterimages behind for the printed page.  The best super-heroes are on screen, while the best comics these days are not the Marvel and DC super-heroes.

It's like super-heroes and comics have gone their separate ways--a great love affair where the principals have broken up and started dating others...others who aren't the best match for them.  (I really enjoy the movies, but I would still prefer seeing the main versions of the characters in great, well-done, monthly comics!)  It might be too late for Marvel and DC.  Good, honest and earnest, serious and smart, super-heroes can still come back to the medium best suited for them, but it might take a third, new company to publish them.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2017 at 6:24am | IP Logged | 11  

We all know that eventually Captain Nazi is gonna get sorted out. So even though I disagree with the way this story is going. I wasn't overly bothered by it. I would have even been willing to follow it to see what was happening. 

But honestly this thing is getting dragged out far too long. It's going to be years before this all gets resolved. When really this storyline should have been six months tops. 

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2017 at 8:46am | IP Logged | 12  

And Captain Nazi has already been done, and defeated.

By Captain Marvel. The irony is delicious.

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version