Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 444 Next >>
Topic: Acting Presidential Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2020 at 11:35pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, will change his apologists' mind. He said it himself, he could shoot someone randomly in 5th Avenue in broad daylight and they would cheer for him.

Going on a tangent here but I feel the "fake news media" that supposedly hates him is also a problem. Trump's stunts get views and clicks, even if it's for hating (we're all guilty too in a way).

With Trump gone, and a "normal" President in office, that will be over and would be a huge financial problem for the media. Both have a co-dependent relationship, even if it's in a subconscious level.

America (and the world) is now addicted to crazy. It's very difficult for me to imagine a future where this is toned down and back to normal.

Long story short, I think he's going to win yet again. And brace yourselves for that second term.

Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 05 September 2020 at 12:41am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

John Harrison wrote:
These are the same people who think God anointed him to be our President

This.  Presented with actual verifiable facts about any of a number of things, his base will always shoo shoo it away.  COVID deaths in America are shunted to under 10,000 because comorbidity isn't actually a thing.  Largely peaceful protests are turned into "violent uprisings" by "anarchists" despite the facts that most protests are ::shocking!!!:: peaceful.  This shouldn't come as a surprise because this president, from the jump, falsely portrayed his inauguration as the most attended in history and had to either doctor photos taken in 2017 or take down pictures from Obama's inaugurations.

All of this in the midst of the bombshell revelations out of The Atlantic.  Trump "loves" veterans...unless they died in combat, were captured or were disfigured, then they are "suckers", "losers" and people "nobody wants to see"...but that's all an "MSM plot" to tear him down.  Just today his White House wants to halt any training about race relations because it is "unAmerican propaganda" (link). 

He's an utter piece of shit but, as John notes, his 40% base will stick by him no matter what.

Shameful.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2020 at 6:49am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

On the hopeful side, my wife sees a patient who is an elderly veteran.
He was pro-Trump all the way. Signs in the yard, t-shirts, hats, flags,
the whole bit. When she did her visit yesterday, ALL of his Trump
paraphernalia was in the garbage can at the curb.

If vets within the red sun of TN can change their minds, anyone can.

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2020 at 8:48pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

From the article: 

"Trump's disdain for Obama was so extreme that he took his fixation a step further, according to Cohen: Trump hired a "Faux-Bama" to participate in a video in which Trump "ritualistically belittled the first black president and then fired him."

While reading the headline I was like "nah, this has to be a sick joke, not even he is capable of that" and then I saw there was a photo.

David Miller
    Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2020 at 10:34pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

If I were a billionaire, or even a "billionaire," I'd hire a Faux-Bama a couple times to thoughtfully nod his head and say, "I agree with you, Dave." God, that'd be comforting.
    Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Miller
    Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2020 at 8:55am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

He’s such a petty little man.

Greg McPhee
    Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2020 at 9:32am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Let's await the Tweets and the press conference meltdown for this one.

I mean -- peeing prostitutes, lusting after 15 year old girls, a fake Obama to fire -- what's next? A snuff film or a Satanic ritual?

This is all beyond f@cked up.

Eric Sofer
    Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2020 at 10:52am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Greg, you are quite right. This is far past f*cked up. It is at the edge of lunatic fringe.

And the worst part - at least to me - is that it isn't necessarily Trump. He happened to be the right fiend at the right time. But other crazies have run for president and reached "name" status, i.e., recognizable on the news by name.

I recall one nutbag named Lyndon H. LaRouche, back in the 80s. Full of hate, full of bigotry, full of reprehensibility. Con artist, cult leader, fraud - the list goes on and on. 

But in 1980, if Carter had won instead of Reagan, the follow up in 1984 might very well have been Mondale vs LaRouche. LaRouch wasn't exactly a Republican; more that he marched to the beat of a different flutist.

But he would not have been Democratic, and he would not have been a succeeding vice-president. It start sounding kinda familiar to me... and just as now, if the people were looking for something - ANYTHING - new, and different, with promises that he could fix anything, we'd now be discussing President LaRouche.

My point is that it is the peepul who are looking for something so different, so "good old days", so seemingly new and fresh, at exactly that moment in history when a lot of folks are looking for someone to burn the Constitution.

I hate Trump and what he's done and what he's doing and what he's said and what he's saying. But the voters are to blame... they just found someone to take advantage of them in the way they like. When one gets used to one's slave collar, it starts to feel comfortable.

And further, I feel that a good number of Americans want a king to take care of problems for them. A "Big Daddy" to run things and make them better than they've been, without the burden of democracy lying on them.

I feel that's what we're facing. Trump is just the crooked key that fits the crooked lock at the right moment in history. 

James Woodcock
    Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2020 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Good points Eric. The Republicans have been sliding towards an abyss
    for some time - look @ the whole tea party & Sarah Palin. Those were
    clear signs of where things were going.
    Trump saw that, seized it, & now exploits & feeds it to the nth degree.

They were in this path long before Trump.

But just think, where further could this go? If it continues on this
    trajectory, there is only one place left to go.
    Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Floyd
    Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2020 at 9:33am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I remember when the Tea Party crap started, they showed some guy on tv who looked like he didn't have more than 3 or 4 brain cells complaining about the taxes and whining about Obama. The news reporter pointed out that the taxes he was complaining about were from the Bush administration. 

Personally, I blame some of the dumbing down of this country on FOX News. They're not really a news organization so much as they are the Right Wing's propaganda arm, they lie about almost everything, and the sheep who watch that godawful channel eat it up as if they're being spoonfed the bs.
    Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
    Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2020 at 12:38pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

What was that sh*t show on the news just now? Did baby Trump poop himself again? I saw a grown man go on an hour plus long major wah blaming everyone and citing how born he was into always being right, thinking of everything first, and is always so totally innocent. Make it end, soon. So much cleaning up to do! I've seen soap opera villains more sympathetic.

Y'know, regulations and oversight aren't bad job killers all the time. Just saying again... get that cheese back on the cracker somehow. We know where it's been and should never forget but you still gotta put it back on. :^(

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 07 September 2020 at 12:41pm
    Back to Top profile | search | www

John Wickett
    Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2020 at 8:36pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

With everything that's happened in the last year, Democrats should be way up in the polls. 

The problem is that Biden is a weak candidate.  It was a huge mistake for the Democratic establishment to have all of the moderate candidates clear the field for Biden to prevent a Sanders nomination.  Biden lacked strong momentum heading into super Tuesday until Buttigieg, Klobuchar, etc., dropped out.  He got the nod from party leaders solely because at that time he was perceived as the strongest fundraising candidate.  However, if they had let him lose, somebody else (probably Pete) would have risen to the top and been in a better position to beat Trump.  

Like 2016, this looks to be a very close election.  But barring some new catastrophe, I think Biden is on track to lose.  

Rhetorically, Biden has treated this as a turning point election, but tactically, he's handled it the way Democratic candidates always do- move left during the primary to secure the support of the base, and then move to the right during the general election.  

We saw the movement to the right this week when Biden reversed his position on fracking, promised additional funding to law enforcement, and said he would reduce taxes on working middle class families. 

These moves by Biden are calculated to appeal to undecided moderates and independents, but many of them will be reluctant to support Biden because Kamala Harris is his running mate, and her voting record is among the most progressive in the Senate.

IMO Biden should have gone with Val Demings.  She could have helped him in Florida (a swing state), and would have had much more widespread appeal in the general election.     

What hurts Biden about moving to the right is that this actually is a turning point election, and voters are more polarized than usual.  

Biden risks losing the support of Progressives because he's abandoning them by flipflopping on key issues.  If Progressives feel betrayed and don't come out to support Biden, AND he doesn't win the independents, then Trump will win.    

That would be catastrophic for the Democrats.  The left will blame establishment Democrats for the loss, because Biden was not liberal enough to excite the base.  And the division between the Bernie/AOC wing of the Dems and the Pelosi/Schumer wing will be even deeper.

<< Prev Page of 444 Next >>
      Post ReplyPost New Topic
    Printable version Printable version