Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 444 Next >>
Topic: Acting Presidential Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2020 at 2:24am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Watched the speech, with a much necessary bottle of wine.

Total fascist dystopia. Biff in BACK TO THE FUTURE II. There will be no easy way out of this I'm afraid.

But things will get better once the Democrats take the White House, right?

For probably very different reasons, I actually agree with this. I understand the feeling and share the hope but thinking all this deeply, deeply f**d up state of things is going to be magically solved once good ol' Uncle Joe gets into office* seems incredibly naive to me.

*Also, unlikely to happen. At least in a peaceful, normal transition. Trump's been saying it loud and clear for anyone that wants to hear it.

Edited by Rodrigo castellanos on 28 August 2020 at 2:28am
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2020 at 7:49am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I forced myself to watch the end of the RNC last night - not the least of which is that it feels so good when you stop slamming your hand with the hammer.

I have to wonder what the whole RNC was about. It seemed to mirror the DNC's goal; talking about Joe Biden and Kamala Harris getting into the White House. The difference is obvious; one wants it, one fears it. But I didn't hear very much about why Trump should be re-elected in either case.

President Murder took SEVENTY MINUTES last night, bleeding over into the 11 o'clock news, standing there saying how nice America is now*; how terrible Joe Biden is and will be as president; and that's about it. Nothing about his plans for the future, no specifics about all the things he promised America in 2016, none of it.

He did mention about promises made and promises kept. Well, it surely seems that the promises he made have yet to be realized, so maybe that's what he meant. He promised a corona vaccine before the end of the year, or sooner (so... in the past?) He bragged about every good thing, real or not, in America, and took the credit for it. The usual bullshit, let's be honest.

The Democrats talked of the future, what specifically Trump had done wrong, and how they were going to address and correct it. The Trumps (and one or two other speakers) talked about how generally Trump was perfect as a president, how he needed to be elected to Make America Great Again Again**, and a lot about how bad a person Joe Biden is, and how bad a job he'd done as president already. 

The biggest issue is that it's easy to see what the campaigns are going to do in the next 70 days; but while we know what will happen if Biden is elected (or at least we have some concrete ideas), we received ZERO information about what the Republicans are going to do on Nov 4.

That was really all the information that I needed.

* BLM still necessary, hurricane relief down south, corona, unemployment, being despised in the international community - holy hell, ENOUGH WINNING ALREADY!

** That is literally something that one of the Trump daughters said.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2020 at 8:00am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

QUOTE:
For probably very different reasons, I actually agree with this. I understand the feeling and share the hope but thinking all this deeply, deeply f**d up state of things is going to be magically solved once good ol' Uncle Joe gets into office* seems incredibly naive to me.

I doubt anyone is thinking that. It's just that getting someone who wants to fix the situation is a necessary first step.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2020 at 8:27am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Yes, only Trump can fix Trump's America!!

I believe!!!!*

*sarcasm

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2020 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Trump warned America that if Biden is elected, America will have the sort of lawlessness, riots, and chaos it currently has.  

I’m not sure I see a way out of future incidents where riots demanding an immediate arrest occur after a black man is shot by police.   We give police the right to use violence as part of their jobs.  The only way to make charges stick is to do a thorough investigation to show the violence used exceeded the situation, and that takes days.  I don’t think Biden or any President can shrink that timeline.  

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2020 at 12:18pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

> I’m not sure I see a way out of future incidents
where riots demanding an immediate arrest occur after
a black man is shot by police.   We give police the
right to use violence as part of their jobs. The only
way to make charges stick is to do a thorough
investigation to show the violence used exceeded the
situation, and that takes days. I don’t think Biden
or any President can shrink that timeline.

Looking at shrinking the timeline to unreasonable ends
is not the answer.

The answer appears simple. Initiating systemic change
and, more importantly, in the immediate moment..... at
least having the common sense pretend to listen to the
aggrieved. Ideally, the leadership actually does
listen.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2020 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

If you elect Biden, you will have lawlessness, chaos & riots.

Hmm, maayybe, just maybe, the policies causing those riots will be
changed & they would stop.
Or is he thinking that due to the changes that would, hopefully, finally,
recognise non-whites as human beings, the amendment 2 crazies
would cause lawlessness, chaos & riots.

Because that’s how I see things unfolding

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2020 at 2:00pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The Republicans do seem to have entirely dispensed with laying out election policies or trying to explain why Democratic policies won't work, instead jumping straight to the Conclusion in Summary and screaming: they will destroy American greatness!!

Maybe just go one stage further and say: this is us versus them! We good, they bad! Red or blue, baby!

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2020 at 3:30pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

By the time of the election, I’m pretty sure that’s where we will be Peter

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2020 at 7:39am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Maybe it won’t start until the campaign really starts rolling after labour day, but I don’t perceive Biden as clearly stating 3 or 4 big Priority things he would change if he was President.   I went to his webpage, and there are 46 (!) tabs for different policy areas, but that makes it hard to see the trees for the forest.  You may have hated tRump’s campaign messaging in 2016, but everyone could name by memory: build the wall, lock her up, tear up unfair trade deals.   

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2020 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Peter H: " I don’t perceive Biden as clearly stating 3 or 4 big Priority things he would change if he was President."

You might be right, but he's got a couple that jump to my mind without ever mentioning Trump. Working on reducing education costs and making public education free. Working on fighting Big Pharma to lower medical costs and prescriptions fees. Putting a priority on reducing effects of Global Warming. Redoubling efforts on combating Covid and flatting it until a vaccine can be developed. Getting real communication between blacks and whites, and the tangent of "refunding" police departments and getting the scum out of the police.

And as for Trump... I think all he needs to do is point out what happened under Trump and then vow to undo it and get America's path clean and straight.

America is so fouled up right now, "I'm going to fix America from what Trump did to it" could be all the campaign slogan he needs (not that it's all he'll use...)

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2020 at 7:00pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Biden doesn't need to state three or four big priorities because Coronavirus is the priority. Biden doesn't need more than that, especially when the Democratic platform is a progressive wish list, as usual. Everybody's lives are on hold until COVID is under control, and I like that Biden seems to understand that.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 444 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version