Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: Visiting Calgary in February 2016 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 February 2016 at 12:38pm | IP Logged | 1  

Driving & Snow. I am glad people convinced me that 4x4 was a good a idea.
Back to Top profile | search

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 February 2016 at 12:39pm | IP Logged | 2  

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 February 2016 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 3  

Zoo was fun. Thomas loved it.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 February 2016 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 4  

Chinook Mall! You were in my old stomping grounds. That mall used to be the home of Woodward's department store. Part of a chain, long gone. I was walking thru the toy department one day, lo these many years ago, and there among the new model kits, completely unexpected, was the original AMT release of the starship Enterprise. Good times!

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 February 2016 at 3:32pm | IP Logged | 5  

That is nice John Byrne! Thanks for sharing!
I had the chance to encounter some Canadian friends that live in Alberta and we talked about your art and how it influenced my decision in choosing Calgary for tourism (and possibly move).
We stayed in the Mission area, at 22 avenue SW, near 4th Street SW and we loved that area. Some professional acquaintances met with me in Calgary and I enjoyed telling them about your art and how your father played an important role in the story of the city.
I have more than one thousand pictures, but I feel that I already spent my quote of images here.
One thing that was also great about this trip was meeting Martinho and Steve, friends from the JBF in Calgary, it was great meeting them and made me honored for being part of this community.

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 February 2016 at 4:54pm | IP Logged | 6  

It was very good to meet Marcio. His smile and jovial appearance, which you see in the photographs, is indicative of his demeanor.

The snow the other day only lasted an hour and the next day it was clear.

When I first came to Calgary in the early 1980's, (very hard times then) I would walk through Chinook Mall quite often to kill some time.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2016 at 7:59am | IP Logged | 7  

Steve, that is an awesome picture. I love mountains, and waking up every morning and seeing such majestic views would feel like paradise.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 March 2016 at 8:10am | IP Logged | 8  

When I first came to Calgary in the early 1980's, (very hard times then) I would walk through Chinook Mall quite often to kill some time.

••

Move that back about fifteen years, and you have just described my teen years!

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2016 at 4:37pm | IP Logged | 9  

John Byrne, if you don't mind me asking, in which neighborhood you lived in Calgary, which ones you liked best and why?

I was told that people prefer the west side of the city, because schools there are better.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 March 2016 at 8:29pm | IP Logged | 10  

I lived in the south west, in Haysboro (named for Senator Harry Hays who had originally owned most of the land. For much of the time I lived there, the land on the other side of the main road, Elbow Drive, was undeveloped and still called Hays Farm. Just before I moved out on my own a flock of condos went up there, also called Hays Farm. The entrance is directly opposite 89th Avenue SW, where my parent's house was. Coincidentally (or, ironically as they say on the internet) my pal Gary Cody's mom now has a condo in the Hays Farm development.

Memory: every year there was a big barbecue at Hays Farm, when it was undeveloped. My dad being highly placed in the city government, my family was invited many times. One year, I actually got to meet British WW2 fighter ace Douglas Bader, in town as a guest of the Calgary Stampede and one of my childhood heroes. My mom had her picture taken with him, and as he put his arm around her he announced to the crowd "We've been secretly in love for years!"

Mom had been in the Air Force in WW2, and when he said this I saw her go literally weak in the knees! :)

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2016 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 11  

I'm going skiing in Alberta in a couple of weeks, so I thought I'd jump on to this thread rather than start a new one to try and pick the brains of the knowledgeable Albertans in the forum.

I'm spending most of my time in Banff and I've got my hotel sorted out for there, but I'm thinking of spending a couple of days in either Kicking Horse or Lake Louise and one night in Calgary.

Any recommendations for good hotels in any of these three places? I'm a 4-star kind of guy... For Calgary is there one area downtown with a big conentration of bars, restaurants etc?

Obviously in Lake Louise there is the Fairmont, but it's a bit rich for my blood. Looking for a little gem that is high quality but good value.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, plus any views or tips on the skiing in Kicking Horse/Lake Louise (and Banff). Thanks!

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2016 at 3:05pm | IP Logged | 12  

Peter,

Lake Louise is very close to Banff, I wouldn't botter staying there for the night unless it is in the Fairmont. It is expensive, but I stayed at the Banff Springs with mountain view (payed high but totatly worth the price for the Fairmount Gold, the breakfast is excellent and at night they will serve some snacks that could serve as dinner (worked for us).

I would suggest that you go to Panorama in BC. It is not too far (we went there for the snowmobile) and I think you would like it.

In Calgary I rented an apartment using Airbnb and I loved the location, many restaurants in the area called Mission, very close to the 4th street SW.

Consider driving to Jasper, I stayed at the Pyramid Lake Resort, cheap and fair (not 4 star though) views were awesome and staff is super friendly, if you are lucky, you may see the Northen Lights there.

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version