Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: Visiting Calgary in February 2016 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2016 at 10:52pm | IP Logged | 1  

Arrival in Calgary.

Back to Top profile | search

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2016 at 10:54pm | IP Logged | 2  

Our arrival at the Banff Springs Hotel and the breathtaking view of our room:

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2016 at 10:56pm | IP Logged | 3  

Before going to Jasper we enjoyed a mavelous day in BC. Best day of the trip so far.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 February 2016 at 11:20pm | IP Logged | 4  

Bit more Byrne family history: the enclosed elevated walkways seen in some of the photos of downtown are called Plus-15s, since they are in theory not less than 15 feet above the pavement. It was my father (saw that coming, didn't you?) who, as head of the Planning Department, initiated the program of interconnecting the buildings downtown so people could move about freely during the Calgary winters. I was in high school at the time.

I was also in high school when the defiantly phallic Calgary Tower went up. It was then called the Husky Tower, after the oil company that built it. The base is a hollow concrete tube which was created in a single continuous pour. I no longer recall how long it took, but the classroom in which I took geography faced north, toward the city center, and it was possible to literally see the tower growing from day to day.

Sadly, Dad told me the whole thing was outdated almost from the day it was finished. Fifty years later, it's still there!

Jess Sowerby
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2016 at 1:42am | IP Logged | 5  

Does anyone else wish Marcio had left more room in his suitcases so that some of us too far away could have smuggled ourselves inside. The photos are amazing.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2016 at 8:37am | IP Logged | 6  

Many years ago I worked in downtown Calgary and made occasional use of the Plus-15s. Which were fairly bare passage ways from office building to office building. Then work changed and I didn't spend much time in downtown Calgary. Except, a few years ago I was involved in a project which required me to do so.

The change which I was most aware of was the indoor mall feel of the building floors, which were linked by the Plus-15s. Many fast food and convenience stores were established and doing a strong business. I was amazed at some cafeteria type outlets and was always wondering how the cooking fumes and odors where being handled.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 February 2016 at 9:23am | IP Logged | 7  

I used to love the Plus-15s when I still lived in Calgary. The closest entry to one was about half a block from my old apartment building, and I could get into that system and move all around the downtown in heated or air conditioned comfort. It was possible to travel about twelve blocks, east west, as I recall, and about four blocks north south. When the X-Men stopped in Calgary they moved thru some of the shopping spaces on that level. Most notably the women's wear shop where Storm unleashed her power. That was a real store. Friend of mine worked there, and appears in the scene.

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2016 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 8  

I (first) moved to Calgary three years after the X-Men visit. Most of the damage had been repaired and the Saddledome was being built.

Mark McKay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2016 at 7:03pm | IP Logged | 9  

Plus 15...we call them the Skyway System here in the Twin Cities. I love them here, too!

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2016 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 10  

Hello guys, we returned to Brazil yesterday. Being in Calgary (and surrounding areas) for the past 27 days was great. I loved the city and, in spite of the fact that we did not have a single day with snow in the city and I got a "Brazilian" winter, it was a perfect experience of what it would mean to live there. I have my fingers crossed and I might come back sooner that I think. More pictures to come soon.

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2016 at 2:56pm | IP Logged | 11  

Hey Marcio,

Glad to hear you got home okay. It seems the weather couldn't hold back any longer.

Just minutes ago, although I don't know what the conditions are in Calgary.

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2016 at 3:01pm | IP Logged | 12  

Hi Steve
I just checked and tomorrow there will be 10-15cm of snow in Calgary. 
That is so unfair :(

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version