Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: Visiting Calgary in February 2016 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2015 at 8:00am | IP Logged | 1  

Any other Calgary Byrne Victims who want to have a meet-up while Marcio is here?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Martinho Correia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2015 at 8:02am | IP Logged | 2  

Marcio - Unless there has recently been a snowstorm don't worry too much about the roads. They are always cleared, sanded or salted (or all three). 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 November 2015 at 8:12am | IP Logged | 3  

That was something we noticed right away when my family moved from Edmonton to Calgary. In Edmonton (this was back in the early Sixties) it was a standard joke that parents would bring their children out into the streets to see the snowplows go by. It might well be the one time in their lives they would have the opportunity!

In Calgary, the plows got going fast and often. In fact, the only place I've lived that deals with snow faster is right here in Connecticut, where I have seen my own street cleared three times in one day!!

Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2015 at 9:16am | IP Logged | 4  

Marcio - Unless there has recently been a snowstorm don't worry too much about the roads. They are always cleared, sanded or salted (or all three).
--------------------------------
And a rental car should hopefully come with winter tires. A ploughed road can still be icy, I suppose, and if you're not used to it at all...

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2015 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 5  

Peter, I really want to see the Royal Tyrell Museum in Drumheller, but I am concerned about driving in could temperatures and snow, since I never done before. Banff is certainly on the top of the list, but I feel I might take a bus.
You are right to be cautious about driving in snow, if you have never done so before. But now that everyone had frightened you with how cold Calgary can be in the winter, we should also point out that it is often subject to "Chinooks", which are occasional blasts of warm coastal air. If you are in Calgary for an entire month, it will probably happen at least once. So you may find there are a few days where the roads are clear of snow. If you keep your plans flexible, there may be days you can make longer drives. And I am sure there are also tourist bus day trips to Banff, Drumheller, and other spots of interest.

Martinho Correia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2015 at 4:05pm | IP Logged | 6  

JB - I remember the snow plows clearing all roads in the city when growing up. That was the 70's. Not anymore - side roads remain plugged and disastrous but main roads are still taken care of in a timely manner.
The city spends around 30 million dollars on snow removal every year.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2015 at 7:24pm | IP Logged | 7  

Admittedly judged from the other side of the country, which can have completely different weather patterns, this winter so far seems to have been mitigated by El Nino. And long may it continue! The weather men are forecasting a mild winter as a whole, which will be a nice break after two horror shows back-to-back. Might be better than normal when you visit, Marcio!

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2015 at 7:39pm | IP Logged | 8  

Might be better than normal when you visit, Marcio!
+++ Uhu! We are happy to hear and our fingers are crossed!
We want to see and experience the snow and the cold weather, but not be locked inside the house for the whole month :)

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2015 at 7:40pm | IP Logged | 9  

If you keep your plans flexible, there may be days you can make longer drives. And I am sure there are also tourist bus day trips to Banff, Drumheller, and other spots of interest.
+++

I am glad to hear and thankful for all your comments. Really looking forward to come back to Canada.

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2015 at 7:46pm | IP Logged | 10  

I work with a gentleman from Brazil and I questioned him about his move to Calgary and how he acclimatized to the local weather and culture. Weather wise, he has learned to dress in layers. Which is very smart given the temperature variations Calgary and area can experience during a single day. Most of his driving experience was gained after his move from Brazil, so is not an aspect he can advise on.

Due to the Chinooks, winter driving is not something to get used to, but rather an occasional experience. Winter tires are an expense some try to avoid, but the added traction can be a real and vital asset.

Canada is a beautiful country and the mountains west of Calgary are a reminder of the size of our planet.

I'd like to get together with you and any other Byrne Enthusiasts, while you are here.

Here is a sample of my view from this morning.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2015 at 10:26am | IP Logged | 11  

Thanks Steve, that is really awesome. I really appreciate you taking your time to comment about it with your colleague. Yesterday I booked three nights at the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel, not the cheapest hotel in the area, but the views were so breath taking (and reminded me of the Uncle Scrooge McDuck stories by Carl Barks that I had to choose that hotel.

My email is mfdiogo@gmail.com. please, feel free to pass it to your friend, so we can organize and meet.

If don't mind, I'd like to ask about driving a rental car to Banff in February. I considered myself an experienced driver, used to drive in heavy rain, but I have no idea if I can drive a Corolla from Calgary to Banff in Feb... and 4WD SUVs are very expensive to rent.

Bert Kruger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2015 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 12  

Hey Marcio
Banff Springs Hotel is very nice, I've stayed there a few times.
I go to a conference in Banff once a year and now stay here -Banff Park Lodge - as it's a bit cheaper but still nice and it's located right in the town of Banff. So you can park your car and walk through town. 
http://www.banffparklodge.com/

You can walk into town from the Banff Springs but it's about 1km or so.

Edited by Bert Kruger on 01 December 2015 at 12:03pm

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version