Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 19 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN "Days of Future Past" - Cameos, Authorship, and More (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2014 at 6:41am | IP Logged | 1  

Companies have remained tight lipped about digital sales but Comixology reported its 200 millionth download (after 6 years in business) last year. It is not clear if this includes downloads made in the direct Marvel, DC, etc. apps. In any event, 200 million is a pretty significant number given that the industry sells just 7 million paper books (or so) a year. Has the digital marketplace eclipsed the paper one?
Back to Top profile | search

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2014 at 8:14am | IP Logged | 2  

Comixology do some very good bargain sales,so that may have helped the fugures.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2014 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 3  

That splash page is so perfect. I love the creativity and detail of the Byrne pencils; the cleanliness and strength of Austin's inks, and the singularity of Orzechowski's lettering.
---------------------------
When comics are good, they're really good. This page is a nice example of words and art combined to brilliant effect. The art is beautiful and Claremont's script is also very good.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2014 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 4  

Companies have remained tight lipped about digital sales but Comixology reported its 200 millionth download (after 6 years in business) last year. It is not clear if this includes downloads made in the direct Marvel, DC, etc. apps. In any event, 200 million is a pretty significant number given that the industry sells just 7 million paper books (or so) a year. Has the digital marketplace eclipsed the paper one?

-----

I think the free downloads that occur as a regular promotion, as well as the downloads that were included with some Marvel and DC books for a time, may skew those numbers. It'd be more interesting to see the actual digital sales.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2014 at 3:07pm | IP Logged | 5  

I still can't believe the new FoX-Men movie hasn't somehow aped the classic cover to DOFP in its marketing.    

I mean, I guess in a weird way I'm glad they haven't (since the movie itself makes me a bit nauseous) but at the same time…geez.  How could you miss the chance to hit the one thrown right down the middle at you?  

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2014 at 4:21pm | IP Logged | 6  

I still can't believe the new FoX-Men movie hasn't somehow aped the classic cover to DOFP in its marketing

Why would they? They've not gotten any of the actual story right.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 21 May 2014 at 6:58pm | IP Logged | 7  

Let's take a look at a few more pages from the original that started it all - picking up from my last post, I just love the Kate Pryde/Wolverine opening sequence

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 21 May 2014 at 7:00pm | IP Logged | 8  

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 21 May 2014 at 7:05pm | IP Logged | 9  

The top panel on this page is one of my favorites - a horse drawn bus!  A perfect detail that caught me as a kid and never left me. 

This is one of the pages that Terry Austin still has.  Longtime JBF readers may remember a thread a few years ago which told the tale of when Terry visited JB with a stack of original art that he has kept.  He brought many pages with him for JB to sign, and this was one of them.

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2014 at 7:41pm | IP Logged | 10  

MORE PAGES! You can't stop now! My copy of this issues is long gone so it's great to see this again.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 May 2014 at 8:14pm | IP Logged | 11  

That last page has a thing Chris does that used to make me nutz.

I was plotting that issue almost entirely, so the elements that are purely visual are all mine. Which includes marking the humans with a big H, and the mutants with an M. But Chris, in the script, added a third classification, A. Search the art, and you won't find it. Just H and M. Which, of course, makes me look like an idiot to readers who assumed the writer told the artist what to draw.

"Writing against the art," I used to call it. So many captions and balloons that reflected in no way what was in the pictures.

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2014 at 8:25pm | IP Logged | 12  

That last page has a thing Chris does that used to make me nuts.
--------------------------

You know, I'm really starting to look at these stories with fresh eye now that I know more history of how you and Chris worked. And I can see more clearly when Chris just made things up that had nothing to do with how you plotted the book. It's like the script is fine and the art is fine but the two are out of sync.

Also, I just read somewhere either in this forum or in an older article, that in Next Men you either experimented or dropped all together the use of thought balloons. ( I may be way off base too) And now I can't help but see them as awkward.

Did you end up dropping thought balloons from your story telling? 

Edited by Robert Shepherd on 21 May 2014 at 8:26pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 19 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version