Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 19 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN "Days of Future Past" - Cameos, Authorship, and More (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 May 2014 at 7:31am | IP Logged | 1  

There's a "typical" Chris panel, of a kind that used to make me crazy. Two figures in the shot, both with their mouths open (comicbook shorthand for speaking), and the dialog is. . .   all coming in from off-panel.

Play a drinking game! Read some Chris Claremont stories, and take a shot every time some variant on this happens (including a close-up of a character who is responding with a few words to a huge balloon from off-panel). You'll be drunk VERY quickly!

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 May 2014 at 7:33am | IP Logged | 2  

…the original unused Byrne/Austin cover to X-Men #142:

••

Still a mystery to me why (or by whom) it was decided that Terry swiping an interior panel was a better choice for a cover!

There's a not uncommon coloring error on that cover, too. See how the colorist had putt the brown of Storm's skin visible behind her headpiece? That happened several times, and each time I would ask myself, "Do they think she doesn't have ears?"

(Note that I had not yet figured out how Kirby Krackle worked, and was treating the "little black dots" as entities unto themselves, rather than concentrating on the negative space they define. And, no, that would NOT be the reason that cover wasn't used.)

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2014 at 8:13am | IP Logged | 3  

This is the picture I was referring to. Wolverine's skeleton appears different than what a normal skeleton would look like.
-----------------------
Wolverine's skeleton is man-made from metal and has housing for claws. Why would it look normal?

Edited by Peter Martin on 28 May 2014 at 8:14am

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 28 May 2014 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 4  

That is a cool cover -- I wonder why they switched it out.  The panel that Terry Austin swiped is a huge moment in the book, but it would have had better impact if it wasn't spoiled on the cover.  As a kid I was used to the cover image not necessarily being in the book.  The cover to part one of "Days of Future Past" is not in the book, and I thought that was cool as a kid. 

I admit I didn't believe the cover copy that said "Everybody Dies!!" - it seemed like excessive hype.  So the deaths in the issues were a jolt.  Jean Grey had just died, but it wasn't as graphic as this.  Jean was sacrificing herself, and the moment was more heavy with drama rather than the violence of the Sentinels.

You created off a lot of cool time travel moments with this story, but one of the most significant and lasting impacts resulting from this story is depicting the Sentinels as a significant and real threat.  Don't get me wrong - I love time travel!  But the story depicts a real genocide from discrimination, and that depiction of humanity in their grip is the foundation that makes this story resonate after so many years.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 May 2014 at 11:41am | IP Logged | 5  

The panel that Terry Austin swiped is a huge moment in the book, but it would have had better impact if it wasn't spoiled on the cover.

••

More than once that happened on my books during Shooter's reign.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2014 at 12:45pm | IP Logged | 6  

Have you guys seen this? MSN did a video/article about 10 "facts" about the X-Men. Notice that I put the word "facts" in quotes.

http://msnvideo.msn.com/?channelindex=7&from=en-us_msnhp#/vi deo/f11f871d-3e61-4056-bd7c-e19353032dda

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 28 May 2014 at 8:43pm | IP Logged | 7  

A few details of my favorite panels/sequences in B&W from the ESSENTIAL collection so we can see JB and Terry Austin's artwork before the coloring.

The return of the Fastball Special....

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 28 May 2014 at 8:45pm | IP Logged | 8  

Whammo!!!!

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 28 May 2014 at 8:46pm | IP Logged | 9  

"Do You Know What Your Children Are?"

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 28 May 2014 at 8:48pm | IP Logged | 10  

I thought it was perfect that the final showdown was set in the Baxter Building

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 28 May 2014 at 8:49pm | IP Logged | 11  

heartbreaking....

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2014 at 8:56pm | IP Logged | 12  

The marrow thing was what upset Shooter. Apparently somebody told him that's where white blood cells come from. And without those, he'd have nothing to fight infection.

I argued, successfully, that Logan's healing factor precluded such concern.

As soon as I left, the pressure was put on Chris to toe the Shooter line.

That is such a dumb thing to change. That led to Magneto extracting (!) the adamantium out of Wolverine through his pores (!!) and the eventual reveal that there were bone claws that Wolverine forgot about (!!!) .... and then he changed to a noseless beast because apparently his healing factor was working hard on closing up those pores...

<< Prev Page of 19 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version