Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 19 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN "Days of Future Past" - Cameos, Authorship, and More (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2014 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 1  

JB, My introduction to you and your art was during the Dark Phoenix Saga. Wolverine as you drew him. Was the reason I became a fan of the character and the X-Men.

The way I feel about Logan now. I wish you had let him get written out of the book. I can not stand the over saturation that has occurred. 
Back to Top profile | search

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2014 at 3:01pm | IP Logged | 2  

As a kid I loved the thought of Wolverine having Adamantium bones. Made the character even more interesting. For example it gave me the thoughts of how deep would his feet sink if he was walking in sand and such. Imagination.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2014 at 3:12pm | IP Logged | 3  

Adamantium bones going to laced with adamantium was silly. I remember kids saying it was the strongest metal so how could bones be made of it. There was the problem with attaching muscle and soft tissue to them so that would be impossible, but pouring adamantium around the bones was somehow more plausible?! Sometimes I question where people place their suspension of disbelief because it seems so damned arbitrary.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2014 at 3:12pm | IP Logged | 4  

JB - When Rachel was introduced into DOFP was the intention for her to become a regular character in the book?

(She intrigued me in DOFP but, as time went on, she irritated the hell out of me. Long after you left the book, I felt the writing was trying to make her far more interesting and important than she really was. For me there is nothing worse than being told which are the coolest characters rather than letting the reader decide for themselves.)

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2014 at 3:38pm | IP Logged | 5  

(Punched into orbit!!)

Yes! I know exactly which panel you are referencing. Who knew that little munchkin was so strong until that punch! Ever since that scene, I've always asked why do the strong members of any team (typically) also need to be the largest members? Answer is, they don't.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 May 2014 at 5:38pm | IP Logged | 6  

When Rachel was introduced into DOFP was the intention for her to become a regular character in the book?

•••

Nope. She was meant to be a done-in-one, as was my story.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2014 at 6:04pm | IP Logged | 7  

Rachel also sadly went from a war-ravaged concentration camp survivor to a shapely fetish queen upon her reintroduction to the book. I could not then and cannot today reconcile the new PVC-and-spikes clad "hound" version with the lovely, tragic character shown in DOFP. They do not correlate. 

I content myself with thinking that Kate's journey was in fact successful and that the DOFP spin-offs and endless reiterations all take place in divergent futures which are similar to, but not, the original DOFP. Due to Kate's efforts, there is then at least one MU future that has been spared the Sentinels' takeover bid. Elements like Blink, the XSE, and "wowee-zowee Alan Davis Rachel" don't make sense to me any other way.

As for the Clint Eastwood Wolverine, I remember reading somewhere that we have Dave Cockrum to thank for sparing us a more literal version of that in #156, "Kitty's Fairy Tale." As I recall, the Wolverine character in Kitty's bedtime story to Illyana was going to be Eastwood's Stranger with No Name. Cockrum changed that to the fun little Tasmanian Devil guy, "Mean" instead. 

Which aside from being a better joke just makes a lot more sense. What is the Stranger with No Name doing in a bedtime story for a tiny child? For that matter, what was poor, dead Dark Phoenix, a mass-murderer and someone the child actually knew, doing in a supposedly funny bedtime story? "Sweet dreams, little comrade!"

Edited by Brian Hague on 27 May 2014 at 6:05pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2014 at 11:40pm | IP Logged | 8  

I remember in the Pocket Book X-Men short story (against Magneto), it specifically noted Wolverine's bones having been replaced one-by-one with Adamantium (who needs marrow?), the bionic housings for the ADDED claws, and even that the name Logan was all that could be found in the school file. 

I can't remember the X-Men story title, but the book included the original version of This Evil Undying with the Avengers and a beautiful Cockrum cover. 

Joe Murray
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2014 at 2:29am | IP Logged | 9  

Love those issues and this thread.

Just wanted to add one more image—the original unused Byrne/Austin cover to X-Men #142:

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 May 2014 at 4:30am | IP Logged | 10  

I remember in the Pocket Book X-Men short story (against Magneto), it specifically noted Wolverine's bones having been replaced one-by-one with Adamantium (who needs marrow?), the bionic housings for the ADDED claws, and even that the name Logan was all that could be found in the school file.

•••

The marrow thing was what upset Shooter. Apparently somebody told him that's where white blood cells come from. And without those, he'd have nothing to fight infection.

I argued, successfully, that Logan's healing factor precluded such concern.

As soon as I left, the pressure was put on Chris to toe the Shooter line.

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2014 at 5:39am | IP Logged | 11  

That even became a story once or was it
twice.   Wolverine lost his healing
factor, and without white blood cells he
quickly got very sick.

Craig Markley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2014 at 6:04am | IP Logged | 12  

This is the picture I was referring to. Wolverine's skeleton appears different than what a normal skeleton would look like.

<< Prev Page of 19 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version