Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 19 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN "Days of Future Past" - Cameos, Authorship, and More (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2014 at 3:22pm | IP Logged | 1  

It just amazing remembering the days when Wolverine could be hurt!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2014 at 9:01pm | IP Logged | 2  

JB - 

I remember you making an off-the-cuff comment (maybe from the interviewer's question?) in an interview from around this time comparing Clint Eastwood and Wolverine, to the effect of quoting Wolverine saying "Do I have three claws...or only two..?" Chuckles all around. That might have put the thought into Frank's head.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2014 at 9:08pm | IP Logged | 3  

Wolverine DOES seem a bit too chatty in that sequence, as if to tell the reader what he's capable of... may work for the new reader (at the time) who had no clue about the character.

Really glad the pages of DOFP were posted here, it was this story, along with the Dark Phoenix Saga, that made me a huge X-MEN fan.

I agree with Matt; would've been very cool if they had killed Logan early in the film at least as a homage to the original material. Unfortunately, the filmmakers once more tried to prove that they can do the X-Men better than the comic books they originated from.

-C!

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2014 at 11:06pm | IP Logged | 4  

I would have like to see the "future wolverine blasted to nothing but bones" scene as shown in the comic, but alas that was not meant to be.

To me that was the scene that really stood out. As a young reader I remember thinking OMG, they actually kill their characters. Even if it was future versions of them.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2014 at 12:06am | IP Logged | 5  

So that's another reason why Fox fails with their "X-Men" films. I didn't get any OMG moments watching DOFP.... they tried with the future scenes but failed because they were short and didn't feature characters that the audience was emotionally invested in.

-C!

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2014 at 5:05am | IP Logged | 6  

It's interesting how in that last panel the choice of words can color the scene. Chris Claremont wrote it as, "Shoot, I was hopin' you'd go for it," but it could just as likely have been, "You made the right choice, bub."

Canadian question: would Wolverine, considering whatever generation he would have been born in, have more likely used meters or yards?
Back to Top profile | search

Craig Markley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2014 at 5:56am | IP Logged | 7  

JB-In the panel after Wolverine is killed we see a picture of Wolverine's
skeleton. His remains appear to be more than just "...his entire skeleton
is laced with that same miracle metal." (adamantium). The joints of the
elbow and his hand look much different than that of a regular human.
Would you please discuss your thoughts of what Wolverine's body was
made up of?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 May 2014 at 6:06am | IP Logged | 8  

JB-In the panel after Wolverine is killed we see a picture of Wolverine's skeleton. His remains appear to be more than just "...his entire skeleton is laced with that same miracle metal." (adamantium). The joints of the elbow and his hand look much different than that of a regular human. Would you please discuss your thoughts of what Wolverine's body was made up of?

••

Wolverine's skeleton was stated several times to be MADE of Adamantium. Then one day Shooter, exercising his whim of steel, decided that was "impossible," and, after I left the book, Chris started referring to Logan's bones as being "laced" with Adamantium.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 May 2014 at 6:07am | IP Logged | 9  

Canadian question: would Wolverine, considering whatever generation he would have been born in, have more likely used meters or yards?

••

At the time that scene was written, hardly anyone in Canada was using the metric system conversationally. It was still feet, inches, pounds, etc.

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2014 at 6:32am | IP Logged | 10  

As I recall, Chris scripted that scene in the "Dirty Harry" mode. It wasn't in my head when I drew it. (This was, after all, years before Frank Miller decided Logan looked like Clint Eastwood.)

As you can see from the amount of space I left, I wasn't expecting Wolverine to be so talkative!
-------------------------------------------

Ah..Thank you for the answer. Yeah, he is strangely chatty with the henchman in that issue LOL!

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2014 at 10:01am | IP Logged | 11  

"Laced with Adamantium".... hmmmm... never liked the explanation.

'Course, i prefer Logan as mysterious. too many details spoiled him for me.

-C!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 May 2014 at 10:25am | IP Logged | 12  

"Laced with Adamantium" makes no kind of sense. Consider the poundings Logan has taken. (Punched into orbit!!) However tough the Adamantium might be, his bones would still be bone. Think of any packages you may have received in which something was broken despite being well packed!

<< Prev Page of 19 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version