Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 19 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN "Days of Future Past" - Cameos, Authorship, and More (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 24 May 2014 at 5:36pm | IP Logged | 1  

Back to Top profile | search

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 24 May 2014 at 5:38pm | IP Logged | 2  

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 24 May 2014 at 5:38pm | IP Logged | 3  

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 24 May 2014 at 5:39pm | IP Logged | 4  

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 24 May 2014 at 5:40pm | IP Logged | 5  

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 24 May 2014 at 5:44pm | IP Logged | 6  

This is the Afterword from the 1989 trade, which just featured the two issues that comprise "Days of Future Past" (#141-142).  The current edition features the stories after "The Dark Phoenix Saga", as well as JB's final issue (#143).

Apologies to Bill Roberge for momentarily stealing his "Reading Club" thunder on this thread! 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 25 May 2014 at 1:16am | IP Logged | 7  

How cool would it have been to take Hugh Jackman's Wolverine, a hugely popular character beloved by millions, and kill him off in the opening minutes of Singer's DAYS OF FUTURE PAST?  He'd come back, naturally, but to shock an audience unfamiliar with the source with something that we all know would have taken balls.  Instead, we're treated to yet another "Wolverine and his Amazing X-Men" movie where Terry Austin's original cover and the story contained therein by Byrne/Claremont is only dealt with in broad strokes, virtually shoehorning Wolverine into every conceivable scenario. 

Ah, one can dream.

Jarrod Buttery
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2014 at 1:25am | IP Logged | 8  

It's very nice to see this thread continuing -- indicative of the enjoyment and interest people have for this story.  Great too to receive new updates every day (thanks, Tim O'Neill).

Dear John, thank you for answering my earlier question.  May I ask another?  As Tim noted, part two was advertised as "Time Out of Mind" but ended up being "Mind Out of Time."  May I ask if you recall the circumstances of the change? 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 May 2014 at 4:55am | IP Logged | 9  

There was no "change," as such. My title for the second part, all along, was "Mind Out of Time." Why it was different in the previous issue's Next Issue blurb is anybody's guess.

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2014 at 8:27am | IP Logged | 10  

Saw this mock-up of one of the Days of Future Past posters and it immediately reminded me of this sequence:-

And it just got me wondering if I could possibly ask a quick question of our host JB about whether he had any deliberate input into getting a flavour of the whole Dirty Harry/Man with No Name type persona for Logan or if that was all Chris?

Forgive me if it's a question that's been asked of you before JB, (I did take a look but couldn't see a specific question on it..) but even though Wolverine isn't my favourite X-Man I've nonetheless been very fascinated by the origins and evoloution of the character in those early days. Because it seems like there were so many things that just had to fall in line in a very particular way to create the Logan that would become a fully formed character..

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 25 May 2014 at 2:42pm | IP Logged | 11  

JB:  "There was no ''change,' as such. My title for the second part, all along, was 'Mind Out of Time.' Why it was different in the previous issue's Next Issue blurb is anybody's guess."

I'm glad to hear this, as "Mind Out of Time" is a really awesome title!

I do see the clunkiness of Claremont's scripting, but it doesn't detract from the concept and images.  Until JB mentioned that weird and unnecessary Kitty kiss, it was never a part of my recollection whenever I think of or re-read "Days of Future Past".  For the reader, it's a small piece that doesn't fit into a much richer and larger whole.  The real power is in the artwork posted above.

My recollection whenever I think of "Days of Future Past" is of the shock of seeing a those bleak future images of the first issue, which would have been enough of a hook.  What was significant about "Days of Future Past" was the way the second issue actually delivered on the promise of the first issue.  The story gets even more intense.  Those last pages in the future, beginning with Wolverine and Colossus' final Fastball Special, are still some of the most cracklingly intense in any book, TV show or movie I was following at the time.  You realized an extremely cool idea into into a story that resonated for years afterward.  Even after I quit comics, those issues stayed on my bookshelf, shoved onto a shelf between other books.  Oh, I should have taken better care of them!  But they were read a bunch of times before that first trade came out.

With the release of the movie I am glad younger readers will have the chance to check out the trade paperback of "Days of Future Past", which is some amazing JB material. 

Thanks for letting me go a little nuts in posting the pages to the story, JB.  "Days of Future Past" means so much to me.  Reading this off of a convenience store spinner rack was an amazing experience, and I hope new readers will appreciate what you did as much as I did when I was a kid.  When I was younger, your X-MEN and FANTASTIC FOUR stories were the best TV shows that weren't on television, and "Days of Future Past" was the best movie that wasn't in theaters at the time!  It's good to see that people appreciate this, and that your storytelling continues to have a lasting impact.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 May 2014 at 2:48pm | IP Logged | 12  

And it just got me wondering if I could possibly ask a quick question of our host JB about whether he had any deliberate input into getting a flavour of the whole Dirty Harry/Man with No Name type persona for Logan or if that was all Chris?

•••

As I recall, Chris scripted that scene in the "Dirty Harry" mode. It wasn't in my head when I drew it. (This was, after all, years before Frank Miller decided Logan looked like Clint Eastwood.)

As you can see from the amount of space I left, I wasn't expecting Wolverine to be so talkative!

<< Prev Page of 19 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version