Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 19 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN "Days of Future Past" - Cameos, Authorship, and More (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 May 2014 at 5:22am | IP Logged | 1  

It certainly is! I'm curious, though — where has the unlettered art come from? I thought back then Orz would have lettered directly onto JB's pencils before they went off to Terry for inking…?

••

There were a few times during my run on X-MEN when the deadlines got a bit tight. Deadlines actually mattered in those days, so rather than even RISK the book missing shipping (necessitating a fill-in), the jobs were done as close to simultaneously as possible. So, I was sending in the pencils in chunks, rather than a complete book, and Terry was inking them as Orz lettered on overlay.

Back to Top profile | search

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2014 at 9:33am | IP Logged | 2  

Wow, I only just noticed that the script spoiled the surprise reveal of
Magneto. Looking at the art, I assume we were meant to assume at first that
the person in the wheelchair was Professor X. But Kate calls him out in the
same panel, before his face is revealed in the next one.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 May 2014 at 9:36am | IP Logged | 3  

Wow, I only just noticed that the script spoiled the surprise reveal of Magneto. Looking at the art, I assume we were meant to assume at first that the person in the wheelchair was Professor X. But Kate calls him out in the same panel, before his face is revealed in the next one.

••

Yup. One of those examples I have mentioned, where Chris actually wrote TO the art -- and shouldn't have!!!

The earliest example of this, that I recall, was in an issue of IRON FIST, where I opened a scene in a dream sequence, which was then supposed to be revealed to be a dream as we came out of it. A cliché, perhaps, but at that point I hadn't done it before. Chris wrote a caption for the FIRST PANEL saying it was a dream!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 May 2014 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 4  

I think the 'forbidden to breed' bit does add little extra oomph in terms of how freedom has been crushed in this future…

••

Problem is, it introduced something that had not existed in the Marvel Universe before that panel!

Stan and Jack presented us with Mutants and Humans, strictly either/or. Roy Thomas introduced "non-mutant variants", which meant people like the FF, Spider-Man, and, in the specific to the story where the term first appeared, Sauron. But they were still HUMAN.

But there were not, before this issue, people who had the POTENTIAL to gain powers. There's another stain that spread far in the MU!

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2014 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 5  

Something about seeing this in black and white makes it especially striking how much Franklin looks like Sue and Reed's son.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 May 2014 at 10:39am | IP Logged | 6  

Looking at those pages, above, makes me sad all over again. Shards of my story are there, clear and sharp as knives. Like the moment when Peter and Kate contemplate what she is about to do, Peter worried that if they change the Past, they may change what exists between them. Their years of love, together, might also vanish.

So, right there, the X-Men were RISKING something. They were prepared to make SACRIFICES to save the world. You know. Like heroes do.

Double the pity, since Chris actually wrote that scene so beautifully -- then gutted it with references to "alternate realities" and the "incestuous Lesbian kiss."

sigh

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2014 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 7  

JB- How did you feel about the way that Magneto was handled in Days of Future Past- He's redeemed, isn't he? I believe you've disagreed with his handling of not simply being a villain. 

As a kid reading this, I had to do a double take when it was Magneto in the wheel chair. An effective fakeout for me at least!

Craig Markley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2014 at 11:41am | IP Logged | 8  

JB-In the panel after Wolverine is killed we see a picture of Wolverine's skeleton. His remains appear to be more than just "...his entire skeleton is laced with that same miracle metal." (adamantium). The joints of the elbow and his hand look much different than that of a regular human. Would you please discuss your thoughts of what Wolverine's body was made up of?

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2014 at 11:51am | IP Logged | 9  

The new Rolling Stone just showed up with an article on the 'True Origin of the X-Men'. Lots about Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, then mostly about Chris Claremont.

What RS says about JB: "Claremont teamed with the sleek artist John Byrne beginning in 1977, and as the Eighties approached, the suddenly sexy-looking mutants made being "born weird" seem cool."

I hope Goyer didn't read that...

J W Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2014 at 12:18pm | IP Logged | 10  

John Byrne wrote:
So, I was sending in the pencils in chunks, rather than a complete book, and Terry was inking them as Orz lettered on overlay.

Ah. That's very cool. I know that literally no one else cares about trivia like this, but I bloody love it. Thanks!

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2014 at 1:17pm | IP Logged | 11  

Not trying to tread on JB's toes by jumping on a question addressed to him, but this might be of help regarding the look of Wolverine's bones in DOFP, from the FAQ: LINK

If I recall correctly, hasn't JB said before that the 'laced with adamantium' was a retcon introduced by Shooter because he insisted on there being no absolutes?

Craig Markley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2014 at 1:49pm | IP Logged | 12  

Peter-Reading the FAQ,it says, "They would replace his skeleton one bone at a time with adamantium ones." The picture of Wolverine's remains looks robotic as if the bones are attached mechanically rather than with ligaments. If muscles and tendons were burned away, ligaments would also be burned leaving a heap of bones rather than a connected skeleton...unless his skeleton was something more than just replacement bones and the added feature-claws.

Oh no. Did I just create a storyline in which that wasn't the real Wolverine in DoFP?

Edited by Craig Markley on 23 May 2014 at 1:54pm

<< Prev Page of 19 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version