Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 14 Next >>
Topic: There’s stupid and then there’s... (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2014 at 5:38am | IP Logged | 1  

Yeah, you're a much better person than the hunter who at least has the decency to look the animal in the eye (figuratively or literally) before he shoots it.

I have no problem with hunting, but that's the lamest constructed argument for hunting I've ever heard. Hunting, as far as I'm concerned, is about being able to put months worth of meat in the freezer for yourself or your family basically for free. Bravery or cowardice have nothing to do with shooting a deer from a hundred meters away before it knows you're there.

(also, hunting is several hours of no kids, no wives.)

The fact is there are too many handguns in the US and because of the availability, more people are killed with them. It's a simple tragic numbers game. The questions should be "Why are Americans killing each other?", "Why is a weapon of last resort being used first?" and "Why is everyone ignoring the billion dollar gun industry that profits from all this and instead focuses on the NRA?" 

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 April 2014 at 6:22am | IP Logged | 2  

"In civilian hands, a gun is a coward's weapon. It allows the shooter to strike from a safe distance, indiscriminately, and even anonymously. Only a bomb is more cowardly."

Says the guy who likely buys his steak and other meat from a grocery store which gets it from a slaughterhouse. Yeah, you're a much better person than the hunter who at least has the decency to look the animal in the eye (figuratively or literally) before he shoots it. He's a coward.

•••

My reference above is not to hunting and hunters, tho i am opposed to blood sports. That said, the whole point of hunting is approaching the animal in such a way that it does not know the hunter is there, and so does not RUN AWAY.

Okay, you're done. If you cannot engage in a discussion without invoking total fantasy, you and your "opinions" are not welcome in this Forum.

Back to Top profile | search

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2014 at 6:49am | IP Logged | 3  

Says the guy who likely buys his steak and other meat from a grocery store which gets it from a slaughterhouse. Yeah, you're a much better person than the hunter who at least has the decency to look the animal in the eye (figuratively or literally) before he shoots it. He's a coward.

------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------

Shooting an animal with a gun is not big and brave. Wrestle it with your big man arms if you want to show how tough you are.

Roy Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2014 at 8:08am | IP Logged | 4  

I've never seen the episode, but this exchange from "The West Wing" is interesting:

Congressman Skinner: You know I never understood why you gun control people don't all join the NRA. They've got two million members. You bring three million to the next meeting, call a vote. All those in favor of tossing guns... bam! Move on.

Josh Lyman: It's a heck of a strategy, Matt. I'll bring that up at a meeting.

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2014 at 9:42am | IP Logged | 5  

Except the real NRA members would exercise their 2nd Amendment rights with extreme prejudice the moment some "brain-dead America hating hippie" called for such a vote.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2014 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 6  

the hunter who at least has the decency to look the animal in the eye (figuratively or literally) before he shoots it.

Really?!? That's decent? Hunting isn't decent at all. A very small percentage of those that actively hunt actually do it because they HAVE TO in order to have food to eat. The vast majority do it for sport. Sure, most of those eat what they kill, but not because they need to to survive. What's decent about that?

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2014 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 7  

A very small percentage of those that actively hunt actually do it because they HAVE TO in order to have food to eat.
------------------------------
With how expensive rifle ammo is these days, I bet if you worked out all the numbers, the dollar menu at McDonalds would be much cheaper.

Randy Lahey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2014 at 12:35pm | IP Logged | 8  

Responsible hunting is more humane than the factory farms that supply the majority of meat to grocery stores.   

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2014 at 12:56pm | IP Logged | 9  

With how expensive rifle ammo is these days, I bet if you worked out all the numbers, the dollar menu at McDonalds would be much cheaper.

You may be right.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 April 2014 at 2:17pm | IP Logged | 10  

Responsible hunting is more humane than the factory farms that supply the majority of meat to grocery stores.   

••

If it's a clean kill. But how often does that happen? Too many hunters are drunk, incompetent. The statics on hunting accidents tell us a lot. How many of those animals are "humanely" wounded and run off to bleed to death in agony?

Being carnivores -- omnivores, really -- is a grim business. A legion of Temple Grandin's could barely begin to truly render the meat packing industry "humane."

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2014 at 8:03am | IP Logged | 11  

Six hurt, suspect dead in shooting at FedEx facility in Georgia

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2014 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 12  

And the town, Kennesaw, actually has a mandatory gun-ownership law. Nuts!

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version