The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: DC Talent Search (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 3:21pm | IP Logged | 1  

Stephen Churay wrote:
what a terrible talent search idea.

I doubt this a genuine talent search, in the sense that the winner has any chance to wind up breaking into comics or getting any actual assignments.  It's a publicity stunt, same as the "design a new costume for Supergirl" contests they used to do in the old days.  As many have noted already, there is little opportunity in this page for someone to demonstrate excellence at storytelling or layout.  Given that, the winner won't necessarily even be the best comics artist.  And really, DC doesn't need to do a talent search when there are FAR more qualified applicants than jobs available in this field these days.     

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 08 September 2013 at 3:21pm
Back to Top profile | search

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 6:38pm | IP Logged | 2  

J W Campbell wrote:
You don't know me, so you'll have to take my word when I tell you that my sense of humour is as dark as it gets.

I don't think this is particularly funny in isolation; in the context of the idiotic sexism and misogyny that has been an unattractive theme underlying much of the Nu52 experiment, it's one more wearying entry in the ledger of such things.
You'll have to expand on that a little. While there is some sexism and misogyny in the new 52, i wouldn't call it a theme And it's the same sexism and misogyny that has pervaded the comics medium since it's creation. On the other hand DC  Entertainment is run by a woman and has several as Editors, writers and artists. The co-writer of the Harley Quinn book is a woman.  Books like Batwoman and Wonder Woman have been critically acclaimed. Woman are the central character in books like Worlds' Finest,Batgirl, Catwoman, Supergirl, Katana and Birds of Prey. You can find strong female supporting characters in books like Aquaman, Animal Man, Swamp Thing and the Flash. It's not all boobs and tiny uniforms.

Is Harley naked in a bathtub sexism or misogyny? Depends on how its presented. The character has a certain amount of sex appeal and is of course crazy. Sitting in a bathtub tying to kill herself with the classic combo of water and electrical appliance fits. If I was drawing the scene, it would show Harley up to her clavicle in water with a leg or two sticking out of the tub, with some sort of Rube Goldberg contraption loaded with appliances. She'd have a here goes nothing look on her face. Is that sexism or misogyny?

In my opinion the hot pants and halter costume doesn't really add anything to either aspect of the character. Its a misstep. 

Edited by Mike Norris on 08 September 2013 at 6:41pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Sandefur
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 7:05pm | IP Logged | 3  

It would be funny if the real reason for this is that the actual artist on the book was like, "I'm not drawing all that! Let's have a contest and sucker some fan into doing it."
Back to Top profile | search | www

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 7:08pm | IP Logged | 4  

I have to say I'm really surprised by the amount of negativity that people are displaying over this publicity stunt.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 8:35pm | IP Logged | 5  

Negativity surprises you, Anthony? Have you not been to the Internet before? :-)

For myself, the Harley page described doesn't seem as off-model or sodden with ennui as so much other Nu52 stuff is. It doesn't seem all that entertaining, either. It's just a "funny" for the few people left out there who like that sort of "funny." C'est le guerre.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 9:46pm | IP Logged | 6  

Brian I expect some negativity. Not this much thou. 

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 9:48pm | IP Logged | 7  

From comments made by the writers, they're looking to Looney Tunes as the style of comedy they're shooting for, 

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2013 at 10:04am | IP Logged | 8  

That was the vibe I got from the 'script' as well.

I dunno, Harley is being designed/portrayed as a 'real' character, and yet they want her in a darkly humorous slapstick comic? Seems like editorial confusion to me.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2013 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 9  

You know It occurs to me. The whole suicide thing that has so many people up in arms. I don't think the character is trying to commit suicide at all. It seems people aren't commenting on what Harley's facial expressions are. It seems to me that she is in disbelief about what she's going thru. This page reminds me of the WB cartoon where Bugs Bunny is acting as animator and is putting poor Daffy through the wringer. Until finally he snaps. 

Harley pulling the cord. Is it much different than Daffy shooting himself in the face, during one of the Wabbit season exchanges ?

Thomas Francis Tryon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2013 at 9:36pm | IP Logged | 10  

Maybe the following is one of the many reasons that I'm not a professional comic book artist. Maybe it's stupid, but what the hell, let me share anyway:
I think it would be funny for major, major talents like JB, George Perez, Walt Simonson, Bernie Wrightson, Bill Seinkiewicz, and the other GIANTS who grew the comics industry into the cash cow it is today, to submit auditions under pen-names and then publish the rejection critiques. I love "Emperor has no clothes" stories, and I think many of today's comics; PTB are naked.

(Of course, what I suggest ammounts to near professional suicide, so I realize how isiotic it is. But it still strikes me as funny.)

Mark Rand
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2013 at 11:32pm | IP Logged | 11  

I think it would be funny for major, major talents like JB, George Perez, Walt Simonson, Bernie Wrightson, Bill Seinkiewicz, and the other GIANTS who grew the comics industry into the cash cow it is today, to submit auditions under pen-names and then publish the rejection critiques.

I'd be amazed if anyone but the winner got a critique at all. Although I wouldn't be surprised if a few pros submitted something as a lark, or maybe an experiment.(It is only 1 page after all) Although the superstars you listed would have to mask their styles quite a bit to fool experienced editors.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2013 at 4:44am | IP Logged | 12  

You know It occurs to me. The whole suicide thing that has so many
people up in arms. I don't think the character is trying to commit
suicide at all. It seems people aren't commenting on what Harley's
facial expressions are. It seems to me that she is in disbelief about
what she's going thru. This page reminds me of the WB cartoon where
Bugs Bunny is acting as animator and is putting poor Daffy through
the wringer. Until finally he snaps. 

Harley pulling the cord. Is it much different than Daffy shooting himself
in the face, during one of the Wabbit season exchanges ?

===========
I imagine the whole thing is supposed to be a cross between John
Cusack's BETTER OFF DEAD and the cartoon FREAKAZOID! Four
one panel "funny" vignettes about an outlandish girl trying to kill her
self in outlandish ways. Personally, it's not my taste in humor, but I'm
ok with that. My issue is with what I said earlier. It's a weird one page
to be using as a talent search. IMO, it just shows how far gone the
editors are. If a good, established editor got one page as a
submission and this was the subject matter, he'd probably just move
on and do so quickly. Now, it's what they're asking for.

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version