Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: DC Talent Search (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2013 at 5:57am | IP Logged | 1  

QUOTE:
Just read over the try-out 'script'. It came off like a series of pin-ups instead of panels that tell a story.....

My thinking is that they're looking for an artist who'll draw the panels in such a way that a letterer could cram it full of dialogue balloons that the script writer comes up with. This just seems like a simple Bruce Timm/Kirbyesque style page. Four panels of equal size depicting each scene in sequence.

A younger me would've jumped at this opportunity. The grizzled old curmudgeon me looks at this and says "What th--?!" I recall being told that your submissions are supposed to be six to eight pages of storytelling demonstrating your grasp of all the basics in illustration, including both quiet scenes and action, normal human beings and superheroes, buildings, automobiles, etc.

Harley Quinn being bored and thinking of ways to kill herself might be a story... as a humor strip.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 September 2013 at 8:19am | IP Logged | 2  

My thinking is that they're looking for an artist who'll draw the panels in such a way that a letterer could cram it full of dialogue balloons that the script writer comes up with.

••

It's described as a "script", not a "plot". Methinks that's a "silent" page -- which would make it another less-than-good test of a new artist. They really SHOULD go for a page thats crammed with copy, to see what the artist can do with it.

J W Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2013 at 9:06am | IP Logged | 3  

"Draw a naked woman in a bath about to commit suicide. No, really, it's OK because it's meant to be funny."

Am I the only one who has a bit of a problem with this?

Edited by J W Campbell on 07 September 2013 at 9:07am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Mark Rand
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2013 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 4  

She's trying to commit suicide in ALL the panels. The humor is in the bizarre ways a deranged mind like Quinn's would concoct to kill herself, and the fact that none of them are apparently working.

It's dark humor...but I happen to like dark humor soooo...

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2013 at 10:17am | IP Logged | 5  

Comedic suicide attempts!
I remember liking comicbooks because they had SuperHero adventures in them!

The one thing I'm not clear on is if they want her to appear in costume, or just dressed as a hooker. (like how she appears in the Nu52)

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2013 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 6  

As an artist isn't the challenge in taking what the write put down and doing it in your own creative way? 
 Obviously DC isn't going to show her naked. So how do you draw an interesting picture of a naked figure in a tub without showing the girlie bits?
 What you put down on paper doesn't need to be graphic.   Take what was written and put your own swing on it. As long as you convey what the writer scribe it's up to you.

Edited by Anthony J Lombardi on 07 September 2013 at 11:15am

Marcel Chenier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2013 at 1:44pm | IP Logged | 7  

Am I the only one who has a bit of a problem with this?

No, you are absolutely not.

I mistakenly started a new thread on this topic (I didn't know one had 
been started on it). 

As for me, I think it's consistent with the current negative trend in comics.
The last thing I would've wanted to be exposed to when I was reading 
comics back in the day--or now.  While some may disagree, I find it pretty
revolting.

Edited by Marcel Chenier on 07 September 2013 at 1:47pm

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2013 at 5:01pm | IP Logged | 8  

Should she be fully clothed in the bathtub? 

As Mark said above its dark humor, Harley is a character that plays into that style. With a different character it wouldn't work. And as Andrew pointed out naked doesn't mean explicit. Visual entertainments have been showing characters naked without showing the naughty bits for centuries, 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Glen Keith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2013 at 6:09pm | IP Logged | 9  

Is this really anything new? Humorous depictions of failed suicide have been around for years. Or is the problem that she's "nekkid"? All that would seem to imply is that she should be drawn without any indication of a costume on her, and doesn't indicate that you should see any of her naughty bits, or need to reference the pose from Penthouse.

If this had shown up in a comic when I was a kid, i doubt it would have bothered me all that much. It's really no different than something you'd see on the Simpsons (Moe Syslak has had a number of failed suicide attempts played for laughs), or even in some old cartoons. Hell, the Mickey Mouse newspaper strip once ran a series off the same premise.

It's clearly an over-the-top representation, in line with the character. Obadiah Stane's suicide in Iron Man #200 was more disturbing that this is.

Edited by Glen Keith on 07 September 2013 at 6:14pm

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2013 at 6:57pm | IP Logged | 10  

Well, given my Bronze age-inspired mind, I can think of all sorts of visual tricks to conceal Harley's naughty bits, from having the sheen of the water's surface block them out to choosing a POV that only gives you her shoulders above the rim of the tub with a hint of a bare knee and cleavage peeping over the edge.  So I can choose some variation between the two.

However, if this is the Nu52 Harley Quinn we're talking about... remember the Batman/Catwoman rooftop monkey business splash from a year ago?

Any more, scripts seem to be the only thing they do in comics.  Perhaps that comes as a consequence of their push towards decompression in storytelling.  I think it takes a much different artistic approach than what I recall seeing with the old Marvel plotting method.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2013 at 11:39pm | IP Logged | 11  

And as Andrew pointed out naked doesn't mean explicit. Visual entertainments have been showing characters naked without showing the naughty bits for centuries, 
~~~
Andrew?

J W Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 4:18am | IP Logged | 12  

Mike Norris wrote:
Should she be fully clothed in the bathtub?

I fear you may have missed my point.

QUOTE:
As Mark said above its dark humor

You don't know me, so you'll have to take my word when I tell you that my sense of humour is as dark as it gets.

I don't think this is particularly funny in isolation; in the context of the idiotic sexism and misogyny that has been an unattractive theme underlying much of the Nu52 experiment, it's one more wearying entry in the ledger of such things.
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version