Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Somebody Got Framed! - 03.09.2013 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 March 2013 at 12:44pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Getting back to this commission, I found the battle between Kurt and Wanda to be thematically appropriate as a witch versus a demon. Even though I knew of Nocturne's character, somehow I don't think I knew Wanda was her mother... Too weird. What's the connection there? They're both European mutants? Did they just happen to run into one another during that time in their lives when they were on the run, sort of the way Ororo just happened to run into T'Challa while crossing Africa as a teen?

I'm reminded of Wild Thing from the MC2 Universe whose father is Wolverine and, although she projects a psychic bladed weapon from the back of her hand just like Psylocke, her mother is Elektra... Wha...?

••

Two things:

First, there is a long standing "tradition" in comics that like MUST attract like. Thus, since Wanda is a gypsy and Kurt is a gypsy, well, they simply MUST know each other, right?

Second, almost as long standing has been the sloppy use of mutation. Basically, this is a catch-all word under which writers can store anything they want. There does not have to be any kind of internal logic to it.

"Secondary mutation", a recent addition, is even worse!!

Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2013 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Ah, gypsies! I had not considered that! Of course, they would have met at one of the meetings...

Bouncing around on the internet and checking such resources as Marvel's handbook on Alternate Universes from 2005, it would seem that any and every appearance of a "future" world in Marvel is, by 2005 definitions at any rate, considered to have taken place on a parallel world. Therefore, every science fiction strip from Marvel's Golden Age that involves space travel and battling aliens in the future takes place in a now-conveniently numbered and indexed parallel reality. This interpretation gives us parallel worlds that go all the way back to the 1930's.

It also means that any time a villain or character comes from the future, he or she also comes from a parallel world. As such, early Marvel villains Rama-Tut and Zarrko hail from parallel realities, as do such later characters as the Guardians of the Galaxy, Deathlok, the Magus, and so on.

The early 70's also debuted such parallel world residents as Thundra and the aforementioned Earth-A Ben Grimm and Reed Richards. (To say nothing of the Earth-A Johnny Storm, a.k.a. Gaard, the Cosmic Hockey Goalie!)

Counter-Earth, first shown in 1972, exists within the same reality as the rest of the Marvel characters, yet serves the same narrative purposes as a parallel world, with counterparts for established heroes and villains playing out different lives due to various subtle differences in their histories...

Not Brand Ecch, which came out in 1967, is now said to take place on a parallel world or host of parallel worlds, as are the Spidey Super Stories, which originated in 1974.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2013 at 2:13pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Wait, what? Somebody felt the need to "explain" NOT BRAND ECCH??

They didn't have Spider-Man meet Superduperman, did they?

Eric Russ
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2013 at 8:47pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Excellent!  The characters I love!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 March 2013 at 5:15am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Wait, what? Somebody felt the need to "explain" NOT BRAND ECCH??

••

To borrow a line from Zaphod Beeblebrox, put your analyst on danger money, baby!

DC Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2013 at 7:37am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

This is a wonderful commish!  I'm so envious of the patron, right now!  This needs coloring and to be mass produced, so I can get a poster of it!  WANT NOW!

Oh I forgot to say that JB's rendition of Storm's cape (Storm for the matter) is just as good, if not better than Cockrum's!  That's saying something because I think Cockcrum was one of the best costume designer in the biz!

Edited by DC Brown on 11 March 2013 at 7:48am

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2013 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

have to second the comments about the match-ups here-- these are amazing. THIS is the throwdown i'd most like to see! and i agree with DC, JB, storm looks incredible.

Erin Anna Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2013 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Wow John!! awesome commission. Did you also miss a black on the bell housing of Iron Man's right gauntlet?

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2013 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Wow.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Cassner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2013 at 9:23am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

This commission is for me and I love it.  It is amazing.  Back in the day my buddies and I would debate which team would win in a fight.  It was fun to talk about the different match-ups and the outcome of those battles.  Early on the consensus was that the Avengers would prevail but the further we read into Mr. Byrne’s run on the title the pendulum swung to the X-Men’s favor.  One thing we always agreed on, it was a battle we wanted to see.

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2013 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Really like the Vision here.  Perfect.  Happy to see Cap and Cyclops up front where they belong.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 March 2013 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

This commission is for me and I love it. It is amazing. Back in the day my buddies and I would debate which team would win in a fight. It was fun to talk about the different match-ups and the outcome of those battles. Early on the consensus was that the Avengers would prevail but the further we read into Mr. Byrne’s run on the title the pendulum swung to the X-Men’s favor. One thing we always agreed on, it was a battle we wanted to see.

••

Glad you like it, Brian. The "who would win" question was in the forefront of my fevered brain as I worked out the battle scene. Obviously, I didn't want EITHER team to be clearly in the lead. Leave that still a mystery for fans to debate over!

(Tho the Avengers would win!!!)

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version