Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6
Topic: THE HIGH WAYS #2 OUT NOW! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2013 at 7:45am | IP Logged | 1  

Gary (and anyone else in the United Kingdom missing 'The High Ways' #1) - try http://www.ltd-edition-comix.com who still have #1 listed for sale.

I've just got #2 and, having loved #1, I'm really looking forward to sitting down and reading it.
Back to Top profile | search

gary haylock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2013 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 2  

Thanks thomas will look them up now.

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2013 at 5:58am | IP Logged | 3  

A bit late, but I wanted to chime in with my own praise for issue #2. Excellent on all fronts.  

The highest praise I can think of is that I don't buy comics any more, but I've been deliberately going out of my way to pick this one up.  Was in downtown NYC last night and was able to convince my wife and friend to walk a couple of blocks over to St. Mark's Comics.  They had #2, but I had no cash and had to look for something else to buy in order to make the credit card minimum

For the record, I went with Peter Bagge's collected 'Reset'. So there you go!  JB generating revenue for books he had nothing to do with.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 March 2013 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 4  

For the record, I went with Peter Bagge's collected 'Reset'. So there you go! JB generating revenue for books he had nothing to do with.

••

That's pretty much comics at their best, isn't it? Rather than being insular and clubbish, they encourage those who like A and B to take a look at C and D!

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2013 at 8:07am | IP Logged | 5  

I'm really enjoying this series. Excited to hear that their may be a 'Spin-Off*'/Follow-on series down the line.

* For want of a better descriptive term.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2013 at 10:40am | IP Logged | 6  

Don't forget everyone: Issue #3 is out Wednesday.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2013 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 7  

I finally just picked the second issue up over the weekend and read it. I'm really digging this series! I admit that upon first hearing about the series, I wasn't completely sold on it, but I am happy to say I've been hooked! The sci-fi setting works much better than I would have thought and the story is interesting and I love the cliff hangers.

Great work, JB!

Marcel Chenier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2013 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 8  

I picked up both issues last Wednesday.  I'm glad I did--very enjoyable!

Really looking forward to the next one!

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2013 at 12:24pm | IP Logged | 9  

JB wrote:
That's pretty much comics at their best, isn't it? Rather than being insular and clubbish, they encourage those who like A and B to take a look at C and D!

Ideally, yes. In my experience, most owners don't do a good enough job of recommending a different kind of books to their regular readers who focus their attentions just on the superhero genre - particularly their younger readers, when there's more of a chance to turn a love of escapist fantasy into a deeper fascination with an entire art form.

I was sixteen when the Turtles phenomenon hit, and my then LCS owner bemoaned about Eastman's and Laird's sudden success over a quality book like 'Cerebus.'  I picked up Cerebus that day, and it's what kept me coming into stores month in and month out for the next twenty years.  There were times when my only regular title was Cerebus, but I always blew a few more bucks on every visit on something untried, or a collected edition of an old favorite, or what have you.  And Cerebus was my gateway to the idea of art comics (well, that and Alpha Flight), which is where I am now as an adult reader.

So my monthly intent to just follow Cerebus probably generated thousands of dollars of additional income for whichever store I was patronizing at the time.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 6
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version