Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: THE HIGH WAYS #2 OUT NOW! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2013 at 4:51am | IP Logged | 1  

Have to go to another comic book store to get this since mine didn't order it (I didn't place my order early enough).  It did not disappoint -- except for being too short!  Love the hard science.  I really want to explore this world a ton more.  Can this be a weekly?  Great job again, JB.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 19 February 2013 at 9:36am | IP Logged | 2  

JB:  "Megan = manipulatin' bitch."

But she's so cute!  Attractive people are inherently good and don't deceive or ......

Hey, wait a minute....

Back to Top profile | search

Geoff Lander
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2013 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 3  

Issue #2 was excellent.  I really like The High Ways.  Great work.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2013 at 3:32pm | IP Logged | 4  

Bangin' second ish.
Final page was a fantastic treat, I did a double take.
A double take, alone in my bed room, at 5 am.
To a page in a comic book.
You're getting pretty good, JB.
BRING IT.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2013 at 10:25am | IP Logged | 5  

I was reading a review of The High Ways #2 and came to a screeching halt when I got to this line:

"Storywise, Byrne is putting together a sci-fi adventure that reminds me of the old tv show SPACE 1999"

I would have continued reading if the book reminded the reviewer of Forbidden Planet, Alien, or even The Thing, but I'm at a loss to draw any similarity other than "space setting" between that wonderful British TV show and The High Ways. I am getting old so perhaps I am missing other similarities? Anyone?

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2013 at 10:26am | IP Logged | 6  

I do like the direction the book is going with the investigative nature of the story. I think this one could make for a nice Sci-fi channel movie. =)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 February 2013 at 10:32am | IP Logged | 7  

I was reading a review of The High Ways #2 and came to a screeching halt when I got to this line:

"Storywise, Byrne is putting together a sci-fi adventure that reminds me of the old tv show SPACE 1999"

I would have continued reading if the book reminded the reviewer of Forbidden Planet, Alien, or even The Thing, but I'm at a loss to draw any similarity other than "space setting" between that wonderful British TV show and The High Ways. I am getting old so perhaps I am missing other similarities? Anyone?

••

Some have noted the Carol Anne bears a passing resemblance to the Eagles on SPACE: 1999. Perhaps for this reviewer, that was all it took? You know, sort of like those fans who complained, when Superman started sporting long hair, that he looked "just like Wonder Woman"?

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2013 at 10:41am | IP Logged | 8  

I'm curious JB. The reviewer made a comparison to SPACE 1999. As
the creator, was there any thought to what you wanted this book
evoke as a comparison before you started?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 February 2013 at 10:48am | IP Logged | 9  

I've noticed a couple of reviews that have picked up part of what I said when I was first describing HIGH WAYS, somewhat cryptically, on this Forum. Notably, when I said it had evolved in a DAN DARE kind of direction, leading me into the kind of playground where all the planets in the Solar System have life, and often intelligent life.

Lifted out of context, this is somewhat misleading. Keeping everything within our system is really the only thing this series has in common with DAN DARE. I can promise you, for instance, that there are not going to be any intelligent alien species showing up. Sure, they're out there, but OUR THERE is the key -- they're not IN HERE, as in within the Solar System.

Somewhere beyond HIGH WAYS is a series currently titled LOST WORLDS, which will go beyond the Solar System, and which will deal with extrasolar life in some forms, tho, again, not in a traditional sense. No "green animal women" for instance.

Also, there's a lot of stuff on the burner in front of LOST WORLDS, so it will be a while before you see any of it.

Just to be a total tease, here's a peek at what will probably be the main ship in that series.

Really managed to break away from the Enterprise with this one!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 February 2013 at 10:51am | IP Logged | 10  

I'm curious JB. The reviewer made a comparison to SPACE 1999. As the creator, was there any thought to what you wanted this book evoke as a comparison before you started?

••

I mentioned in another thread that this series began in my head as my own version of the Kirby/Wood newspaper strip SKY MASTERS. That was a "predictive" strip, done in the 1950s, an attempting a "realistic" view of what the American space program would be like.

THE HIGH WAYS quickly evolved beyond that beginning, but I would not be terribly offended if some were to find distant echoes remaining!

Anthony Vitrano
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2013 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 11  

LOVING this series- just terrific sci-fi!  The artwork is subtly gorgeous and majestic, even while depicting a somewhat "rough" environment.  

I have no idea what's next, and that's exactly what makes JB's work so great.  I can try and guess, and my internal speculation and anticipation builds to a crescendo until the next issue comes out.  Such fun!

I'll keep it saying it- the work just keeps getting better!  Thanks JB!

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2013 at 5:28pm | IP Logged | 12  

JB, I've really become impressed at your ship building. Not that it was
ever bad, but there a sense a realism there that is second to none
right now.

I don't know what LOST WORLDS is going to be, but I hope this guy,

http://www.artofjohnbyrne.com/gallery/sketches/sketch-misc/2 009-03-
03_144309_ColorTest.jpg.php

might find a place in a story someday.