Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Doomsday Point One (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 06 March 2013 at 8:52am | IP Logged | 1  

Nice page!!

These sneaks are always a pleasure to see as we get a glimpse into who these characters are based on body language and facial expressions, which convey a lot in your work.

Very much looking forward to this book!

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2013 at 12:30pm | IP Logged | 2  

Great looking page. Even without the words you can see the story progressing.

I am excited about this.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 07 March 2013 at 9:01am | IP Logged | 3  

Agreed - it's great to see a page like this before reading the story.  It's a dialogue sequence, yet the page feels alive and dynamic.

And knowing JB's storytelling history, there isn't a wasted page.  I have no doubt the story progresses at a good clip!

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2013 at 8:09pm | IP Logged | 4  

JB, I really like that sneak peak page, and something about it has me thinking
about backgrounds.

How do you decide which panels need backgrounds and which ones don't?

Was there a time when you might have decided not to include backgrounds
in the first, second and/or fourth panels?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2013 at 9:01am | IP Logged | 5  

I thought JB didn't do backgrounds...

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 March 2013 at 7:47am | IP Logged | 6  

••

Mostly, it's a question of "focus". Occasionally I will drop backgrounds for dramatic effect, but usually I do so to throw the foreground figures into sharp relief. In cases like that, sometimes backgrounds can be distracting, especially if they are complex.

+++++

I thought JB didn't do backgrounds...

••

You're joking, of course, but I am sometimes amazed to still hear/read this complaint. It goes to what I have said about how many of the Byrne bashers seem unable to update their complaints. It's true that, for a while, and about thirty years ago, there was a period when various "outside influences" caused the backgrounds to become a bit more scarce than the usual case -- but, like I say, that was thirty years ago.

Like I've said before, just about every complaint that has been leveled against my work has been true at one time or another -- but not all at the same time!! Internet trolls seem not to worry themselves too much about those kinds of details, tho!

(When those "outside influences" were eliminated, and the backgrounds came back with their usual vigor, it became a source of fascination to watch the length to which some would go in order to keep complaing that "Byrne never does backgrounds." Superman flying thru the sky was considered a panel without backgrounds, for instance. Even more bizarre, tho, was when the camera angle was downwards, and the background was rocks, or grass, or pavement. These, apparently, constituted "no backgrounds" in the minds of some!!)

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2013 at 2:57pm | IP Logged | 7  

You're joking, of course ...

Absolutely - just for clarity!

And, I have to admit, if a book is written and drawn well and, therefore, I am enjoying it, I never don't think I actually notice whether there is a background or not.  If it's needed it'll be there, if it's not, it won't.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2013 at 3:08pm | IP Logged | 8  

John Byrne wrote:
...I am sometimes amazed to still hear/read this complaint. It goes to what I have said about how many of the Byrne bashers seem unable to update their complaints. It's true that, for a while, and about thirty years ago, there was a period when various "outside influences" caused the backgrounds to become a bit more scarce than the usual case -- but, like I say, that was thirty years ago....

Honestly, I have never got this particular complaint. For one thing, I have not seen that many artists drawing comics that have put in as much backgrounds as you have regularly. Newer artists in comics are especially bad at putting in backgrounds, unless people are counting colored in backdrops with shading or filtered Photoshop effects as "backgrounds."

I think the criticism stemmed from your method, JB, of removing the panel borders when you didn't use a background, making its absence more obvious. Other artists closed in the art and filled the areas with solid color, so people don't think of the fact that there is no actual background in the shot.

The times you do put in backgrounds are almost always so full of detail and intricate that it blows away most all of the competition in that area, I think.

I have thought about going through the books of three or four other artists at random and comparing them with your work to see if this whole "Byrne doesn't do backgrounds" nonsense holds up. I know that I will find just as much backgrounds in your comics as the average comic book artist puts in his or her work, JB.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 March 2013 at 8:07pm | IP Logged | 9  

When I was working on FANTASTIC FOUR and ALPHA FLIGHT, I was also inking my pencils for the first time in a while. This meant doing the pencils (later breakdowns) and sending them in to the office for lettering. The lettered pages would be sent back to me for inking, and those finished pages would go back to the Office. As I was living in Chicago at the time, that meant three passages thru the mail. More, really, since I would usually send in "chunks" of pages, as they were done. So many trips back and forth made me nervous. Pages were known to get lost in the mail, every so often. I wanted to cut down that risk as much as possible.

The agreed upon solution was for me to ink the pages before they were lettered. This is, of course, how the great majority of pages are done these days, but back in those pre-computer, pre-Photoshop days, it was complicated. For one thing, there was a company policy of actually paying the inkers more (if I recall correctly, 20%) if they had to work on unlettered pages. Since in my case it would be by choice, and not due to deadline pressures, that extra money felt like a bit of a scam. So I suggested that instead of fully inking each panel, I would indicate the lettering in pencil and ink the balloons and captions.

So far, so good.

But it turned out my ability to judge the space a letterer would need was not always accurate. Often my balloons would have to be whited out and redrawn. More work for the letterer, and sometimes cutting into the art.

Of course, on panels without backgrounds, this was not a problem, and almost unconsciously I began dropping backgrounds in order to better accomodate the lettering. In some panels I would still ink in my own balloons, but the number of panels without backgrounds increased. At the time, I wasn't really even aware it was happening.

When I moved to New York and was able to hand deliver the pages, the problem quickly corrected itself, but "Byrne never draws backgrounds" had become a mantra.

Steve Jamrozik
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2013 at 7:22pm | IP Logged | 10  

http://www.previewsworld.com/shipping/prevues/doomsday1.1.pd f

Is this the first appearance of these pages?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 March 2013 at 5:51am | IP Logged | 11  

Working LINK.

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2013 at 5:58am | IP Logged | 12  

Good stuff.  Looking forward to it.

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>