Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: Elements for a good costume design (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 9:13pm | IP Logged | 1  

When you look at Marvel's characters that were around in the 1960's so many of them still hold up today - Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, Thor, Captain America, Namor, the Silver Surfer, Ant-Man, etc.

There are only a few who had early re-designs that soon became their definitive look - Doctor Strange, Iron Man, Captain Mar-Vell and Daredevil.

So often the case is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Hatton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2013 at 9:16am | IP Logged | 2  

My favorite costume of Cyclops was the second one listed, especially when it was drawn by JB.  To me that is Cyclops.

The best Angel costume is the black one that Neal Adams designed.  In my opinion that takes the award for most improved costume ever.  Though the one before it was particularly awful.

I like Jean in her Phoenix outfit but if that does not count I have to say I like the green mini dress. Though to really pull it off you need to really show her curves underneath it.  Neal Adams could really do that well.

I never had a particular favorite with beast.  He seems to change so much it is hard to see anything as the real beast anymore.

The original costumes have grown on me.  I think I would place them second place for my favorite X-Men costumes.
Back to Top profile | search

James Elliott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2013 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 3  

The first X-Men uniforms always made me think that they were the uniforms of people who were in school learning how to be superheroes.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2013 at 11:34am | IP Logged | 4  

i like the original uniforms!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 January 2013 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 5  

There is a very short list of Best Costume Designs, and the original X-Men's school uniforms are high on that list.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 January 2013 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 6  

••

That assortment points up one of the ways comics have gone off track in recent years. Despite the differing artistic styles, a good argument could be made that the first six figures all represent the same guy. Then we come to the seventh, and suddenly he's shorter, beefier, more tousled of hair -- and generally a different guy.

The last two images at least represent something of a return to model, tho the "life jacket" costume just makes him look pregnant.

Bill Conway
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2013 at 11:55am | IP Logged | 7  

Call me crazy, but I always prefer the X-Men in civies - I guess this was caused by my love for the cover of MTU #4!

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2013 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 8  

My first (ahem...) exposure to the X-Men. Love that comic!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2013 at 8:49pm | IP Logged | 9  

That assortment points up one of the ways comics have gone off track in recent years. Despite the differing artistic styles, a good argument could be made that the first six figures all represent the same guy. Then we come to the seventh, and suddenly he's shorter, beefier, more tousled of hair -- and generally a different guy.

It's not someone you would nickname "Slim", that's for sure.

The last two images at least represent something of a return to model, tho the "life jacket" costume just makes him look pregnant.

I have a soft spot Quitely's "life jacket" version.  It looks functional without being a body suit and can house pockets without looking obviously like a tight suit with a massive wallet.  I really don't understand the skintights with belt pockets thing because if you think about it they are just glorified fanny packs -- fanny packs ceased to be 'in' about twenty years ago.  My only quibble with this design is that the 'X' motif is a little overdone; just the belt buckle is enough.

I think the best overall uniform/costume for Scott is a variation on the Kirby school uniform -- which is really what #2 is.  There is no reason why a modern artist can't use #2 and tweak it in subtle ways that makes it look modern yet still evocative of the original.

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2013 at 10:10pm | IP Logged | 10  

You mean "Slim Summers" should be slim? Crazy talk!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 January 2013 at 5:46am | IP Logged | 11  

Call me crazy, but I always prefer the X-Men in civies - I guess this was caused by my love for the cover of MTU #4!

••

The "secret origin" of the X-Men in civvies lay in their book having become a reprint. I was told editorial had decided it would be "confusing" for readers if the team were suddenly back in their school uniforms in this story. This decision was apparently not passed along to whoever chose the art for the logo set-up!!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 January 2013 at 5:47am | IP Logged | 12  

You mean "Slim Summers" should be slim? Crazy talk!

••

When I started on X-MEN I wanted to get Scott back to his more slender form, but was told no, he must "look like a leader!" A rather sad example of Marvel already having forgotten its own identity.

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version