Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2588 Next >>
Topic: What’s in your sketch book? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2006 at 4:01pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

man, that rocks like a punk rock show Andy!

Did you take the young lady from someone famous, or was it just made up? Either way, she looks awesome.

Edited by Chris Yeoman on 27 January 2006 at 4:11pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2006 at 4:12pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Wicked vampires, guys!
Back to Top profile | search

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2006 at 4:45pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Did you take the young lady from someone famous, or was it just made up? Either way, she looks awesome.

I don't think she's "famous" but she's a pretty well known online model named Linda O'Neil.  I'm constantly scouring blogs and newsgroups trying to find poses that I'll use someday.  I've got so many now that I've forgotten about more than I know about.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Chris Yeoman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2006 at 5:02pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Ah ok cool! I'm always on the look out for poses too! Drives me nuts lol. 

Michael Connell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2006 at 5:12pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I'd like to pose a question to all of you artistic guys out there. If a person had a love of drawing as a child, but gave it up do you think it would be too late to try and pick it up again as an adult? As a boy I spent hour upon hour drawing and coloring my own comics. Now coming to this site I feel those old artistic urges coming back, but it's 27 years since I last put my pencil down. Do you think it's too late to take an art class?

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2006 at 5:14pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Well, I've never taken an art class so I guess it's a relative question.  My motto is to just draw what you like.  Coincidentally, I have drawn quite a few scantily clad women.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Connell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2006 at 6:15pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

My first real attempt to draw since I was 11. (I'm 38 now, please feel free to laugh yourself silly.)

JF Joutel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2006 at 6:30pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Here's a cover I did for a fan site recently. Although Kriby did it first, I was inspired by JB imaginitive reuse of the cover:

Want to see more? check out www.dc2universe.com!
Enjoy!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Guest79877180
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2006 at 7:26pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

OK one by one...

Marc T - glad I could be of help (mr fantastic).  I wish I had about 1/20th of the talent you have.

Jonathan Watkins - superman w/flag - good one bud.  your sketches always have good energy

Jonathan Watkins - looks like the hulk in a very well thought out pose.  good job

Gerry Turnbull - rocket over earth - both have their strong points.  I like the first because it traditional in look and feel.  Maybe a little more white in the fumes?  the second is original, but with using photos i think you need to make the rocket look a little more photo realistic.  you've also lost the aura around the earth.  nice job on both!!!

Chris Yeoman - WW - look at yeoman adding another woman to his portfolio!  check her left eye on how it sits on her head.  past that - you are doing a great job lately!  i'm glad you didn't take a break!  now i know this is hard to believe, but im going to agree with justin wasson on this one - F E E T !!!!!!!!!!

Chris Yeoman - manhunter? - HAH  well done again my man

Bill Wiist - pluto on pluto - one thing that can be said about you bill is that you are completely versitial.  out of anyone that posts here i think you are the only one that has shown that you can very easily flow from one style to another.  my hat's off to you bud!  Great pluto

Anthony castrillo - i sound like a broken record with your stuff, but every time I look at what you do, especially sketches and layouts, is like going to art class.  I learn so much from what you do.  thanks for sharing it and being a part of this forum

Anthony J Lombardi - lady death? - i had to look at this quickly and comment on it when my wife wasn't here.  most excellent sir!  well done.

Justin Wasson - MAC's Alphabet Soup - your early stuff has a heavy Byrne influence, but i really like where your style has progressed and evolved to now.

Andrew Hess - lady death - that is so well executed dude!  i love the use of zip in it

Cesar Madarro - big guy sitting on the throne - your stuff has so much character and detail it's fun to look at.  keep it up.  good one.

Anthony castrillo - see above comments

Joe Boster - "So here is  my First sketch in about 5 years" - and that's what this thread is all about joe.  not bad at all for 5 years!  keep it up and keep posting.

Daniel Gillotte - lady death - same for you daniel.  keep 'em coming.  and don't be afraid to bust out the #2 pencil and paper once and awhile too!  Oh, and that's a fun supergirl also

Chris "I'm in my Manhunter Stage" Yeoman - your attention to detail is getting better and better.  wish I wasn't chicken and would post more sketches like you!

Joe Smith - gotta say joe, you've got a real decent eye for detail and looks like your having fun, which I think is the most important thing.  keep it up

Anthony castrillo - i love seeing the different stages you do with your work

Michael Connell - dr doom face - agree with james, got a real kirby vibe to it

Andy Mokler - wow dude!  glad you threw your hat in.  always room for more.  very stunning work.

Joe Boster - batman & demon - i'm diggin' it joe, diggin' it!

Chris "I'm in my Mary Marvel Stage now" Yeoman - that's one BIG lightning bolt!!!  well done.

Daniel Gillotte - flaming dog - i've gotta say that you come up with some pretty interesting stuff daniel....

Joe Smith - origin page - see, joe, that IS fun in the inking world!  one of the things you're up against is that you're working at 8-1/2 x 11, which can take it's toll on you after awhile.  i like it

Vladimir Fiks - lady death - already left you feedback at the other forum, but i'll say it again too, i learn so much from seeing your stuff!  well done.  and we need to make that brush settings a Vlad FAQ.  I think i've asked you that like 1000000000 times!  And you always answered real nice, too!

Andrew Hess - "And I am going to have to bite the bullet and buy me a Wacom" - and you will see a substantial change in the work you produce, especially colorwise.  even doing selections is easier with the Wacom.  the only thing i don't like is that i don't have the same control that i have by hand to do some things...yet...

Nathaniel Johnson - what's to forgive!  That's tight dude!  let's see if finished!!!

Roger A Ott II - sequentials - i like what you did.  I'd suggest that panels 3 and 5 are too similar.  you might go for a more dramatic zoom on the guys eyes in panel 5 and let the eyes carry the urgency of the moment, leaving space for the words.  second page is very cool

Andy Mokler - assorted vampires - wow!  that is really fine stuff.  please join in more often.

Michael Connell - "Do you think it's too late to take an art class?" - no, it's not.  it's never too late.  if it is, then i'm up the creek!!!!!!!!  but you don't even have to worry about a class.  just draw to have fun!!!

Michael Connell - "(I'm 38 now, please feel free to laugh yourself silly.)" - one thing that i'll say about this board and specifically this thread is that NO ONE will laugh at ANYTHING you or anyone else posts.  we are all at different levels of ability and the one thing that you will get is tons of encouragement and even some tips on how to improve.  I don't want you to be down on yourself from the get go, so that's why i'm putting this out there.  take a look at my web link when you get a chance.  it's not the best stuff in the world by any means, but the guys here help me improve all the time.  i've worked with some really great folks here inking and coloring stuff.  i'm slow as all get out, but they don't mind.

i think that Darren has the best way of putting it, and i'll paraphrase, that if someone has enough stones to draw something and hang it out on the Internet for everyone in the world to see, they don't need to be ridiculed, they need encouragement for a job well done.

anyway, i think you've got some great effort there for not drawing over 27 years.  Now let's see some more!!!!

JF Joutel SSoSV - well done and very funny!

Well, im off to the ink mines.  take care and have fun!!!

Guest79877180
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2006 at 7:32pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

here's a spoiler free peek at the inks I'm working on for the calendar jam.  They are over Anthony Lombardi's pencils.

Chris Yeoman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2006 at 7:37pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Michael- It's never too late! Keep drawing and posting, I like your work.

Matthew- That's quite a post! lol. Thank you again for the comments man. I know I need to start drawing feet, I will soon. For my recent stuff, I just haven't felt the need to add them as I've been drawing on A4 paper and decided the waist up is the most interesting parts...excuses I know lol.

Michael Connell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2006 at 7:40pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement Matthew, I believe I will get back to practicing my art. What the hell, if I can get to be as good as I was in 1975 with my Doctor Doom pic I'll be happy. And who knows given time I may even get better. Just doing that doodle of the Earth-Two Superman reminded me of all the fun I had drawing as a boy. Edited to thank Chris as well.

Edited by Michael Connell on 27 January 2006 at 7:41pm

<< Prev Page of 2588 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version