Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2006 at 7:19pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Great work Gerry, what a great trio. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Alex Cruz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2006 at 1:01am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

THE EDITORS OF MARVEL COMICS ARE ON THE HUNT ON THE INTERNET, PLAGIARIZING DESIGNS.

Unfortunately the design of our character “TONAMELT The Dark  Protector/Ociel Sanchez” character standard of our rising publishing house: AC Amazing Comic appeared in the pages of Marvel Knights Spiderman #17 in a cameo with Spiderman.  The character in question is the one known as Ethan, and apparently in that volume the character changes the design of his costume to assume a rough copy of our design of the Tonamelt character. Cameos that bear the design of recognized characters of a comic are one thing; these are more a form of recognition. It’s another thing to use the influence of recognized individuals to evolve those ideas in the design of a new character; and very different to clone a design, simply reconfiguring the original design along a few rough lines, to free it from the threat of a complaint for plagiarism, based on an analysis of converging lines made by an expert of the Copyright Office. The case of Tonamelt is a direct plagiarism of the mask’s design composition, which is quite unique and distinctive of the Tonamelt character. There has never been a mask like this for any character before now.

To come to the final design of the  Tonamelt character(1, 2, 3) and to achieve this unique feature which is different from all designs for previous (superheroes and defenders) characters published in other comics was a project that took years of redesigning, redesigning, redesigning, redesigning, and redesigning the character until we finally reached the point of the final design.  We are very proud of it, and it has generated a lot of interest in many fans. (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, etc.) And it’s a shame, truly a calamity of enormous proportions and a huge disappointment that the editors of the corporate comics company Marvel Comics actually dedicate themselves to the dirty and degrading work of stealing visual ideas and stories from other editorial projects, to provide material for their creative teams to work with, obviously with a complete lack of ethics.

In no way is it my intention to adorn myself with ridiculous and mediocre scandals of plagiarism just to attract attention of potential readers to my project. The TONAMELT comic has been years in development and  has only left anonymity for its publication announced for 2003. However since the Creative Team needed to make improvements to the story line, as well as visual and business line of this comic, this project has been delayed. And when it is published it will clearly show the readers who like this kind of superhero and dark protectors, a story line, visuals and business levels of high quality reached by this project on its own merits. And it will be obvious which of the two characters is a cheap, rough copy of the other.

As a lifelong reader of Marvel Comics I have admired the illustration and design of the people who have achieved mythical proportions in the comic book genre; people such as: Steve Ditko, Jack Kirby, John Romita, Bill Everett and Dave Cockum. But to see the great “Marvel Comics” company make a rough and ridiculous copy of my character’s design fills me with emotions that range from anger to laughter, stopping at a terrible disillusionment to see in what kind of hands the great Marvel Comics is now, the company founded by the mythical artists Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.

In short, esteemed reader, these are the facts for you to make your own personal decision. When the comic is published: “TONAMELT The Dark Protector” No.1 one-shot, 64 pages, under the title “Weapons of War”. We will be known by our good writing, visual and business work, instead of the embarrassing and depressing scandals regarding the plagiarism from what was once known as the "house of ideas".

Sincerely Alex Cruz (Editor and Writer)
Support the comic underground 100% quality.
---

Edited by Alex Cruz on 22 January 2006 at 1:31am

Marc Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2006 at 1:49am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Back to Top profile | search

Chris Yeoman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2006 at 4:47am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Marc- love it, excellent FF!

Chris Yeoman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2006 at 5:54am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Eric Johns allowed me to practice my inking over his pencils, I didn't do them justice at all, but it was really fun!

Gerry Turnbull
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2006 at 7:10am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Tonamelt also appears to be wearing Thors belt,and a modified version of Phoenix emblem.And in silhoutte the mask looks quite like Nova's helmet.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

James Kilpatrick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2006 at 10:40am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

i think maybe i shouldn't...

all i will say is dude, get a grip.

the only thing remotely like your character is the pointy thing on ethan's
head.

the colors are different, your character doesn't have a cape and the
emblem on ethan's chest is a clear "V" shape as opposed to the no-letter
specific design of the emblem on your characters chest.

i sincerely doubt steve mcniven or reginald hudlin read tonamelt and
were so blown away by the look of the character they simply HAD to
appropriate the image into their story.

somtimes coincidence can be strange...but that doesn't mean it's not
coincidence.

seriously.

Alex Cruz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2006 at 2:12pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Perhaps you have reason. In the search to find new designs of characters coincidences can exist. But lamentably it is not the first time that passes a case like this, with characters of publishing houses of comics Mexican with the naughty people of Marvel Comics.

Look this:

Case at hand XPCTRM (KA-BOOM! Studios) vs. BLACK DEATH (Marvel Comics):
http://www.buzzscope.com/reviews.php?id=4735

It’s truly ridiculous and disappointing that what was once the "house of ideas", the highly respected Marvel Comics now dedicates itself to roaming the Internet stealing designs of characters from independent editorial projects, to simply take the designs to use for the secondary characters in their monthly comics. First they plagiarized the design of the character XPCTRM , developed by KA—BOOM! This studio whose director is Mexican illustrator Oscar Gonzalez Loyo won the 2000 Will Eisner Award in the category of “Best Title for a Younger Audience” for his participation in the anthology “Bart Simpson's Treehouse of Horror No. 5, by Bongo Comic” together with illustrator Sergio Aragones. The design of the XPCTRM character appeared in the GRAVITY comic by Marvel Comics under the name BLACK DEATH (1, 2, 3). Here you can see that they made just a simple re-configuration of some of the lines, but the composition of the design is the same.

Jonathan Watkins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2006 at 2:19pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Please don't come in and highjack our thread.  If you want to post some of your sketches, great.  Otherwise, take this crap somewhere else.

Gerry Turnbull
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2006 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Alex, will you explain why your character is wearing Thors belt,and the other similarities i mentioned?id be interested to know why you havent mentioned the things youve borrowed from existing characters.

Also not sure you should be linking to material you are selling

Mikael Bergkvist
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2006 at 2:32pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Black death is actually looking VERY similar to that other character.
I'd say it's a rip-off.
The other stuff, I'm not so sure about..

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2006 at 4:33pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

For a change of pace! I started this with eyes closed and finished it with
sight, but liked some of the goofiness of the no seeing parts that I left some
in tact.
Consider it a palletter cleanser of sorts!
Dan

<< Prev Page of 2588 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version