Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: JB: X-Men cast Q (Champions thread drift) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2012 at 12:31pm | IP Logged | 1  

This may be a bit presumptive on my part, but does the commission character count not shed some light on this question?  Now I don't know anything about anything here, but I'd say definite perks of JB's commission work are A) drawing characters he likes 2) Not drawing characters he doesn't like.

Then again, what do I know?  Kitty Pryde: 12.  Professor X: 8.

Edited by Craig Robinson on 15 September 2012 at 12:35pm
Back to Top profile | search

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2012 at 12:43pm | IP Logged | 2  

My brother and I never really liked the Champions when we were kids. First off, we felt the name of the team was ridiculous... the team is filled with B and C-List heroes. 

The Champions always felt so "thrown together" to us. 

Neil Brauer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2012 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 3  

the team is filled with B and C-List heroes.

So?  I thought the B/C-list characters were the most interesting ones in The Avengers.  Giving the lesser known characters a chance to develop was a cool by product of these type of teams.  The All-New All-Different X-Men wasn't exactly loaded with A-listers in '75.

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2012 at 4:41pm | IP Logged | 4  

I know from reading various bits of comics history that Dave Cockrum didn't like Wolverine, and I believe that Claremont wasn't a big fan in the beginning. What exactly was Claremont's original opinion of Wolverine? It is kind of amusing that the least favorite character among the original New X-Men creators (apparently) went on to become Marvel's last true iconic character.

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2012 at 1:38pm | IP Logged | 5  

I liked the Champions for one reason and one reason only when I was a kid:
they were a super-team, and I was mad for super-teams. Looking back, I
wonder why you needed the Champions when you already had the
Defenders, who seemed to fill the We're-not-the-Avengers-but-here-we-are
niche.

Edited to add: Now, they'd throw the team together and call them New
Avengers, Dark Avengers, Secret Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, Penultimate
Avengers, Pesky Avengers, Persnickety Avengers, or some such thing.

Edited by Thomas Moudry on 16 September 2012 at 1:40pm

Christos Seros
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2012 at 4:19pm | IP Logged | 6  

You forgot Lil' Avengers

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2012 at 4:26pm | IP Logged | 7  

Originally, the idea behind the Champions was that Bobby and Warren were going to be driving around Southern California ala' Route 66 and find super-heroic adventures wherever they went. Unfortunately, that was something of an untried premise and the powers that be insisted upon a more conventional "super-team" set-up. I've never felt the mix was a good one. A roman super-god, a Blaxploitation replacement character, three Russian defectors, a demon from Hell, and two former X-Men equals... what? Nothing that seemed intriguing to me...

The Defenders, however, arguably just as eclectic and lacking in rationale, was pure super-team magic for me... I really loved every single one of those characters.*

*I should note that I stopped reading around the time J.M. DeMatteis chose an all-supernatural-all-the-time theme for the book, so I have no truck with Manslaughter, Cloud, Gargoyle, or that crowd. I know Gargoyle at least has his fans, but I am not one of them.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 September 2012 at 4:13am | IP Logged | 8  

The Champions always felt so "thrown together" to us.

••

The Avengers was the team for the top talent*, the Defenders was the team for characters who really wouldn't be in a team -- and the Champions, as we used to say up at the Office, was the team for everybody else.

___

* Which is one reason, among many, that I was so appalled when I accepted the assignment of writing THE AVENGERS and was told that Quasar would be joining the team!

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2012 at 5:05am | IP Logged | 9  

Ya know, looking at that JB art, I'd love to read a good run of Champion's. I find all of those characters to be interesting. I think it was a very good thing when Marvel and DC where strong enough on the publishing side of things to be able to offer that much variety. We all love the Justice League, Avengers, FF, and X-Men, but there is oh so much more to the universes than that. Jack of Hearts has always been one of those characters that seems to have a ton of untapped potential to me.

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2012 at 12:56pm | IP Logged | 10  

I've always liked the Champions, I was sorry when the title was canceled.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2012 at 4:08pm | IP Logged | 11  

Me: the team is filled with B and C-List heroes.

Neil: So?  I thought the B/C-list characters were the most interesting ones in The Avengers.  Giving the lesser known characters a chance to develop was a cool by product of these type of teams.  The All-New All-Different X-Men wasn't exactly loaded with A-listers in '75.

---

I have no problem with B/C list characters on a team.

You missed the first half of what I wrote.

"First off, we felt the name of the team was ridiculous... the team is filled with B and C-List heroes." 

When we were kids, we felt a team of B/C list characters named the "Champions" was ridiculous. We felt the group was filled with 2nd-stringers. Not "Champions".

We felt Marvel was overselling the team. The characters didn't live up to the title of that book for us.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2012 at 6:02pm | IP Logged | 12  

"Weeeee are the Champions, my friends! And we'll keep on fighting 'til the end! We are the Champions! We are the Champions! No time for losers! 'Cause we are the Champions... Of the world!"

I did not like that song as a kid. The lousy punks at school would screech that anthem when they were pushing you around, and asking "Champions of what?" got you absolutely nowhere. (And when I say "you" I mean me.)

I had no interest in a book that read to me as if it were capitalizing on that song.

Years later, I will say I kinda like the song, and issue 17 of that book, inked by JB over George Tuska's pencils is trippy as all get-out.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version