Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Dietary supplements (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2012 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 1  

QUOTE:
The only 'supplement' I might take is a home-made protein bar for when I'm on the go and I hit that three-hour mark on an empty stomach with no other nutritious food options available.

Would you mind sharing the recipe for the homemade protein bar? I'm currently buying bars (Jay Robb) but wouldn't mind finding a good recipe.

Edited by Mark McKay on 03 July 2012 at 12:14pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2012 at 10:57am | IP Logged | 2  

Mark, there are a number of protein bar recipes on allrecipes.com rated by its members.
Back to Top profile | search

Mark McKay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2012 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 3  

Thanks Wilson, I'll check them out!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2012 at 1:05am | IP Logged | 4  

A couple of questions about juicing vs using the concentrated bottled stuff.

1) If I can't find certain vegetables or fruits, is the concentrate a good substitute?

2)  How do I figure what the correct dosage for the concentrated drink?  If the recommended juice amount is 16 fl oz, how much of the concentrate should I take?

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2012 at 4:47am | IP Logged | 5  

With juicing, the most important thing is when you extract the juice. You want the LEAST amount of time between when the viable plant material was pulverized to release the juice it contains and when you drink it. Therefore, concentrates are not recommended ever. The moment the juice is extracted it begins to loose its nutritional benefits.

If you are forced to use a concentrate there is no harm in reconstituting it to avoid adjustments prior to completing your recipe.

Matthew Panek
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2012 at 6:34am | IP Logged | 6  

Like Martinho, I've been experimenting with Leangains for the last 6 weeks or so. It is fairly easy to stick with, and the fasting periods are not a big deal. Two thumbs up for me. I've lost a small amount of body fat so far...

I've done the 6 meals a day body-building style diet plan for years, and it is wonderful to be free of all that planning and food prep.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Tom French
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2012 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 7  

Just home from three days of hiking the Shenandoah National Park and glad to see this thread is still active! 

As I read some of what other guys are supping, I'm curious if you all know WHY you're taking what you're taking?  One of the discoveries I've made since we opened our wellness clinic in DC was that many people take medications without any idea of why they're taking them -- or the dangers of the long-term harm these meds can cause the body.  The same is true of supplements. 

I can't tell you how many guys talk to me about testosterone boosters that they buy in their local vitamin store and how awesome they were the first couple times they used them.  But once I explain how those things work, and the problems they ultimately cause the body, guys stop feeling so confident about them. 

Nothing -- NOTHING -- is better than consistant clean-eating* and daily exercise.  A good water-soluble multi-vitamin, D3, C and Omega 3's in the morning; zinc, magnesium, melationin (selenium and DHEA for me, too) at night. 

*this means no soda -- just water or coffee.  If you can simply knock soda out of your diet, you'll be AMAZED how much weight you'll lose!

Edited by Tom French on 05 July 2012 at 10:02am

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2012 at 10:07am | IP Logged | 8  

QUOTE:
If you can simply knock soda out of your diet, you'll be AMAZED how much weight you'll lose!

After gaining something like 60 pounds during college and just after; the first thing I did when I saw a picture of myself at a friend's wedding and said, "Uh-Oh, I'm the fat groomsman!" was cut out soda, and man are you right. The added calories from soda are ridiculous.

Also, Tom, been drinking a pint and a half of water with half a lemon when I've gotten up in the morning all week. Feels good, and it helps to get me filling up my water cup at work too.

Tom French
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2012 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 9  

The added calories from soda are ridiculous.

Worse, your poor body doesn't know how to process them.  Strangely, when we drink, our body doesn't register calories, so we still feel "hungry" even after drinking something.  So the body doesn't recognize the "empty calories" in soda and never tells you to STOP drinking!

And you don't even want to get me started on the addictiveness of sugar and its evil twin corn starch...

(Adam, you know what the water does for me MOST?  It gets the old bowels moving in the morning!  That's another bit -- altho gross to talk about, I suppose -- but everybody should have the goal of two bowel movements a day.  Water helps with that tremendously!)

Gene Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2012 at 7:27pm | IP Logged | 10  

A good water-soluble multi-vitamin, D3, C and Omega 3's in the morning; zinc, magnesium, melationin (selenium and DHEA for me, too) at night. 

Tom, I'm taking a liquid multi-vitamin that has some zinc, magnesium and selenium in it - however, they on range from 13%-50% of the "daily value" (which I assume is the recommended amount per day.)  Do you suggest backing that up w/ additional supplements or is there a danger of going over the 100%?

I also take Omega 3's - but usually take them intermittently through the day - is there a reason you take yours in the AM?

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2012 at 8:04pm | IP Logged | 11  

Tom, do you have any suggestions for what to take to improve my work out?  I am not trying to get bigger though just stronger and faster.

Fritz Short
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2012 at 3:09am | IP Logged | 12  

Hi Tom,

I have removed soda(diet soda?) but still enjoy late night beers(lite?) with friends(in moderation?) and drink plenty of water(w/ lemon;lizzing),what are the achohal to sugars ratios I may not be considering?

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version