Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Sneak Peek (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2012 at 6:23pm | IP Logged | 1  

(I still hope it's a SPACE: 1999 continuation/sequel/reboot thingy.  If any writer had the talent to pull that off, it's JB!)

Back to Top profile | search

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 17 July 2012 at 6:25pm | IP Logged | 2  

Looks cool, JB!!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 July 2012 at 7:05pm | IP Logged | 3  

I still hope it's a SPACE: 1999 continuation/sequel/reboot thingy.

••

Why on earth would I want to do a continuation of a series I didn't even LIKE?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 July 2012 at 7:08pm | IP Logged | 4  

George Lucas made an interesting comment to the effect that he told all the designers on the Star Wars movies that the purpose of a new space ship and its hero/villain status should be obvious for the audience within 3 seconds of seeing it.

••

All except this one?

When I look at that ship, I don't think "freighter".

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2012 at 7:16pm | IP Logged | 5  

Man I miss the "used"look of the vehicles from the original Star Wars
movies.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 July 2012 at 7:24pm | IP Logged | 6  

My favorite moment in the original STAR WARS is when Ben and Luke walk into the hangar and see the Falcon for the first time. Beat, to allow the audience to be sufficiently impressed, then Luke says "What a piece of junk!"

Sadly, as with most things STAR WARS, that moment was taken away from me by the revelation that Lucas had filmed a whole scene in the hangar, all around the Falcon, with Han and Jabba the Hutt. So the scene with Ben and Luke was quite unintentional.

(Not the first time I've had that experience. In SUPERMAN - THE MOVIE, when young Clark "meets" Jor-El, his ghostly father tells him to ask any questions he may have. "Who am I?" says Clark. For a moment, Jor-El looks away, as if disappointed that this very ordinary question is the first his con choses to ask.

(Alas, the "extended version", shown on NBC, informed us that the seemingly interactive "Jor-El" was merely a recording, and Superman's father had GUESSED the order in which he would ask his questions. So the glance away was probably Brando checking his lines. Moment lost.)

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2012 at 7:39pm | IP Logged | 7  

"Why on earth would I want to do a continuation of a series I didn't even LIKE?"

Ha!  I get ya, JB... I've just always been curious to see if you'd be able to take the basic concept, tweak it and, you know, make it work...!

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2012 at 7:09am | IP Logged | 8  

"All except this one?

When I look at that ship, I don't think "freighter". "

True, the MF does not look like a freighter.  But that is not really the role it was used for either.  In TESB, it has incredible agility in an asteroid field.  In ROTJ, it leads a fighter squadron assault on the Death Star II.  So what is the MF?  Answer: Anything Lucas wants it to be.

DW Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2012 at 7:59am | IP Logged | 9  

not the role it was used for.

It was a smuggler's ship.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 July 2012 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 10  

True, the MF does not look like a freighter. But that is not really the role it was used for either. In TESB, it has incredible agility in an asteroid field. In ROTJ, it leads a fighter squadron assault on the Death Star II. So what is the MF? Answer: Anything Lucas wants it to be.

••

I hope your intent was to prove my point, cuz that's what you're doing.

There's nothing about the Falcon that suggests speed and agility. She looks kinda lumpy and clunky and lopsided, in fact -- hence Luke's "junk" line.    She is, however, identified as a "freighter" by dialog in the first film. However she's being used, that's what people (especially Imperials) think she is. So isn't that what she should look like? Isn't that what the audience should think after "three seconds". "Oh -- a truck."

But, of course, what Lucas wanted the Falcon to be was a hot rod.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 July 2012 at 8:27am | IP Logged | 11  

By the way...

On the matter of this ship…

…looking like an Eagle from SPACE:1999, since some of you enjoy the minute details of backstory on how these projects come together, you may be interested in seeing where my model started:

I built this a decade ago, as one of my 3D "doodles" (no idea what it was going to be when I started building!). When I began thinking about what I wanted my ship to look like in this new project, I found myself thinking immediately of this older design. The basic framework, minus the wheels, might be very much what I was looking for. So I called up the old model, and began hacking and slashing.

In the end, I built almost an entirely new model, using only a few parts (repeated) from my original. And, of course, the engine and tank structure on the back is entirely new.

Tshombe K. Hamilton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2012 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 12  

I wonder if Lucas had made Star Wars if he would lose the sattelite dish on the Millenium Falcon

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version