Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6
Topic: JB Classic Original Page Sells for $65,000 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2011 at 9:26am | IP Logged | 1  

How did you intend for her powers to work?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 November 2011 at 9:28am | IP Logged | 2  

How did you intend for her powers to work?

••

Manta was supposed to be able to sense movement in light in the way an earthly manta ray can detect movement in water. That's how she was able to spot Nightcrawler with her back to him. As Chris scripted it, it just looked like I drew it wrong. (Also -- infrared vision. Come on! How ORDINARY!)

Back to Top profile | search

Mark McMurray
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2011 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 3  

Wow! I've enjoyed this issue since I got it brand new off the stand and I NEVER noticed the "500" in the rubble until this very second! Well done!!

Edited by Mark McMurray on 20 November 2011 at 9:29am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2011 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 4  

That 500 is cool. Only took about 30 years to get it, nice payoff.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2011 at 9:41am | IP Logged | 5  

Wow! I've enjoyed this issue since I got it brand new off the stand and I NEVER noticed the "500" in the rubble until this very second! Well done!!

Neat little tribute.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 November 2011 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 6  

I was planning something similar to that 500 for the cover of HIDDEN YEARS when I hit 100 in the "hidden" issue numbers, which would have been issue 34.

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2011 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 7  

Ha! Never noticed that -- and now I can't stop seeing it!!

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2011 at 2:26pm | IP Logged | 8  

Putting the selling price of the X-Men #137 page into perspective, a complete Gene Colan story from Daredevil #77 just went for $22K on Heritage.  Nineteen pages of Colan inked by Tom Palmer from 1971, with Spider-Man and the Sub-Mariner guest-starring...and you could get three complete issues at that price for the cost of that single page by JB and Terry Austin.  I guess there are still some bargains to be found in the original art world. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 November 2011 at 2:59pm | IP Logged | 9  

Putting the selling price of the X-Men #137 page into perspective, a complete Gene Colan story from Daredevil #77 just went for $22K on Heritage. Nineteen pages of Colan inked by Tom Palmer from 1971, with Spider-Man and the Sub-Mariner guest-starring...and you could get three complete issues at that price for the cost of that single page by JB and Terry Austin. I guess there are still some bargains to be found in the original art world.

••

This is how my Rembrandt etching has saved me money over the years. Worth every penny I paid for it, in that respect. Every time I high ticket item comes along, and I find myself reaching for my wallet, there's some part of my brain that compares the cost to what I paid for the Rembrandt.

Like, for instance, about ten years ago I was offered all the interior pages of a GREEN LANTERN issue by Gil Kane. One of the very early ones. So early, in fact, that it was one of the ones I'd missed, due to the lousy distribution in my part of Canada back then. So, the fact that I had not actually owned the printed comic certainly influenced my decision not to buy the book. But an even bigger influence was that the asking price was twice as much as the Rembrandt!

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2011 at 3:37pm | IP Logged | 10  

This is how my Rembrandt etching has saved me money over the years.

Just had to jump in here and mention that this proves how ridiculous (in the awesome sense of the word) and sensory-overloading the experience of visiting JB's house is...I was there for at least a few hours, toured the house, took pictures, fawned over artowrk...and totally missed a Rembrandt etching!!!

We now return to your regularly scheduled thread...

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2011 at 4:12pm | IP Logged | 11  

Joe, the "dinning room" is like walking into a small museum. The item that struck me dumb was the Dillinger fingerprint card. At that point I realized just how truly eclectic the accumulation is in the home and when JB showed me a ceremonial jade dagger it dawned on me that there could be a mountain of fun stuff not even on display!!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 6
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version