Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Question for JB: Your entry into comics (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2011 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 1  

Now if only I could meet a girl who looked like she were drawn by JB.
Back to Top profile | search

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2011 at 1:35am | IP Logged | 2  

Now if only I could meet a girl who looked like she were drawn by JB.

------------------------------------------------------------ -----------------------

As a kid, I didn't often go ga-ga over drawings of girls in comics, but JB's Frankie Raye, Storm, and Aurora often made me say "homina-homina-homina!".  

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2011 at 3:07pm | IP Logged | 3  

I kind of forgot that John actually had a career that started before I got to see him on Uncanny X-Men.  I actually recognized his work in that odd Rog2000 backup story in the pages of an E-Man comic my mother had picked up at a local supermarket.  I didn't know which comic was his actual first at Marvel, thinking that Iron Fist was the "big break" for him.

The Chief was quite the prolific artist, even in those days, putting in pages for Marvel Two-In-One, Marvel Team-Up, Avengers, and Captain America.

vishard chandool
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 October 2011 at 11:34am | IP Logged | 4  

The first time I saw JB's work was on Space 1999. In that story the crew met giant versions of the greek titans. I was pretty young when I read it but I remember being impressed by the anatomy. Many years later i was the comic again and I though that it looked like John Byrne. I was pleasantly surprised when I checked the credits and confirmed it.

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2011 at 1:05am | IP Logged | 5  

I remember when I first started reading the credits in comics.  I saw an issue of Marvel Treasury Edition, and the art looked familiar.  I went back and looked at my issue of Super-Team Family, and sure enough, a man named Gil Kane had drawn stories in each issue.

Martinho Correia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2011 at 4:40am | IP Logged | 6  

JB, could you talk a bit about Death's Head Knight? I am lucky enough to have a copy and am wondering how it came to be published by The ACA.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 October 2011 at 5:11am | IP Logged | 7  

JB, could you talk a bit about Death's Head Knight? I am lucky enough to have a copy and am wondering how it came to be published by The ACA.

••

By my first year at the Alberta College of Art I had become pretty much known as "that weird guy who draws comic books". Not everybody thought it was entirely weird, however. Ron Moppett, who was the director of the Gallery, was sympathetic to my oddities, and brought in a traveling show of comicbook art. He also asked me to draw a comic book to serve as the "brochure" for the show. At that time, about four or five pages of DEATH'S HEAD were already drawn, so I showed them to Ron, and he agreed I should finish it and ACA would "publish" it.

This I did, and the College printed up some 500 copies, which were given away free at the door.

The show was a real eye opener for me. I had not previously seen any original comicbook art, and was amazed to see the different sizes of the boards on which the artists worked. There was a range of standard comic book art from the Golden and Silver Ages, some magazine art, and some newspaper strips. (There was a PRINCE VALIANT Sunday page that remains to this day the largest piece of original art I have seen, except for other VALIANT pieces.)

One of the people who visited the show was a fellow named John Mansfield, who picked up a copy of DEATH'S HEAD, got in touch with Stan Parrot (yes, his real name) who was the Head of the College, and thru him, me. It was John who posed that life-altering question "Is this something you want to do for a living?"

Up to that moment, it had not really occurred to me that such a thing was actually an option!

Steve Gumm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2011 at 5:30am | IP Logged | 8  

If you don't mind, talk a little about how Starlord came about. Did you have any direct interaction with Terry Austin, he must have been blown away by your work. The "Dream Team" Byrne, Austin and Claremont began with that issue, was there a sense that y'all were on to something good?

Edited by Steve Gumm on 25 October 2011 at 5:59am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2011 at 5:34am | IP Logged | 9  

great morning read, this is!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2011 at 7:32am | IP Logged | 10  

Thanks very much for the info, JB!

Martinho Correia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2011 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 11  

Great story, thanks JB. I remember Ron Moppet from my studies in the Art Department at the University of Calgary where he ended up.  John Hall, another one of my profs from those days (late 1980's) remembers you from his ACA days. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 October 2011 at 8:48am | IP Logged | 12  

If you don't mind, talk a little about how Starlord came about. Did you have any direct interaction with Terry Austin, he must have been blown away by your work. The "Dream Team" Byrne, Austin and Claremont began with that issue, was there a sense that y'all were on to something good?

••

STARLORD was almost a complete accident. I had no interest in the character -- hadn't even been aware of him until Chris told me he was working on something. Then he asked me if I would be interested in drawing it, and I said sure. We were all in a STAR WARS mood back then, so anything that smelled like space opera was immediately appealing.

As I recall, Terry's assignment to the book was pure luck of the draw. Then Archie Goodwin, who was E-i-C at the time, saw the results and decided he'd found a solution to his "X-Men problem".

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version