Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Iron Man rant... (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 April 2011 at 8:16am | IP Logged | 1  

To me the Stark alcoholism should have been `one and done', or at the most completely forgotten about once Stane committed suicide in Iron Man #200, other than having Tony politely refuse whenever someone offered him a drink.

••

This is the essential problem with the continuity heavy "universe" Marvel has become. Stan and Jack, or Stan and Steve, could do Big, Important Stories, that were essentially one-and-done. Think of the death of Franklin Storm, for instance, or any of a number of what we might think of a pre-Gwen deaths.

But the problem now, and for many years, is that something like alcoholism cannot be "one-and-done". Sure, in the context of the Marvel Universe, Tony Stark, realizing he is an alcoholic, could drop by a certain house in Greenwich Village, and the problem would be gone. But that's too much of a "comicbook solution" for these kinds of problems. So Stark becoming an alcoholic casts a permanent shadow across the character and the title.

Back to Top profile | search

Craig Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2011 at 9:14am | IP Logged | 2  

Hasn't Tony essentially been reborn three times now in the last 15 years?  Heroes Reborn, then some sort of Kang-like future resurrection and during the Ellis Extremis run.  Any of those events could have wiped the alcoholism clean.  Especially Extremis, whose entire premise was to use his brain's own power to heal and purify his body by neural rewiring.

And even now, in Fraction's run, he has restored his brain-dead mind from some sort of pre-Marvel Civil War mind backup data storage.  Why not just decode that part of his brain?

Because alcoholism makes him interesting?  At this point, not having alcholism would make Tony interesting.

Edited by Craig Robinson on 30 April 2011 at 9:16am

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2011 at 9:30am | IP Logged | 3  

Craig, I agree the alcoholism is a problem aspect of the character, but, as JB said above that's "comicbook solutions". That handling of the matter would seem, to me, to be trivialising a real addiction and illness that millions of people and their families struggle with.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2011 at 11:20am | IP Logged | 4  

Emery, congratulations on an excellently observed series of comics' most egregious and nauseating "Jump the Shark" moments.

That was a good list. Maybe we should call it "Jumping the Stark" when it happens in comics.  

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2011 at 3:12am | IP Logged | 5  

Hahahaha!

Nice one, Aaron!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Al Cook
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2011 at 7:31am | IP Logged | 6  

Aaron made me literally LOL!

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2011 at 2:54pm | IP Logged | 7  

Superman singing to defeat Darkseid?!? What?!?

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2011 at 3:02pm | IP Logged | 8  

Superman singing to defeat Darkseid?!? What?!?

============

That's not quite what happened.  Darkseid was already defeated by that moment;  then there was the even greater threat of Mandrakk.  From the 30th Century, came the Miracle Machine and the song was how the Machine was activated to fix all of reality from the destruction that Darkseid and Mandrakk had caused.

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2011 at 3:04pm | IP Logged | 9  

Thanks, Kip! Whew!

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2011 at 3:06pm | IP Logged | 10  

Unfortunately what really happened (described by Kip) was worse than just the notion of Superman singing to defeat Darkseid.  Yikes.

Edited by Jason Mark Hickok on 01 May 2011 at 3:08pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2011 at 3:18pm | IP Logged | 11  

Funny thing; first time I read Final Crisis, I liked it right up to the defeat of Darkseid.  But that ending, with the singing and Mandrakk was confusing.

For some bizarre reason, I bought the trade paperback which included the Superman 2-part story written by Morrison.  Reading the story with that piece, made the ending make sense and I enjoyed it.

Still, I can't recommend reading this story.    Well, except for Legion of Super-heroes Final Crisis drawn by Perez.  That was a good story. 

Amyas Hardy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2011 at 6:10pm | IP Logged | 12  

I don't think Tony Stark was an alcoholic because he was a playboy.  I think the partying, the womanizing, the "extreme" lifestyle, and the drinking were all symptoms of the same problem, maybe him trying to fill some void in his life.  I thought it worked.  But I haven't read Iron Man in a long time -- have they kept the alcoholism thread going?

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version