Posted: 11 March 2010 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 1  

I'd swap JK4W with the Eternals.

I like it. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 11 March 2010 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 2  

It's interesting that so many people approach this question by giving each Universe more of the same -- putting DC's most "Marvel-like" characters to Marvel and vice versa.   I think it would be more interesting to mix it up more.

If I were to swap some characters, I'd go whole hog -- swap out each company's quintessential characters.  So Spider-man to DC, Superman to Marvel.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Darrell Hempel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2010 at 11:50am | IP Logged | 3  

Even though Marvel already has the X-Men, I'd send the Doom Patrol to Marvel. That group has always felt "Marvel-ish" to me.

As far as sending characters to DC - I agree with those who say Galactus and the Silver Surfer.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Craig Markley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2010 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 4  

Spectre to Marvel

Ghost Rider to DC

Back to Top profile | search

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2010 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 5  

This question is somewhat academic nowadays because with all the cross-pollination of talent between the two companies, particularly in the last 20 years, DC has been effectively Marvel-ized and Marvel has been DC'd. You can't get much more "DC'd" than Spider-Man being married to a supermodel. And I feel like I've been reading the Marvel version of Batman for the last 20 years.

If we look back toward the 1960s, when the two companies had much greater individual house styles and identities, and then pose the question of which heroes at that period had never quite reached their full-potential at DC who could benefit from the Marvel treatment (and vice versa), I propose the following:

Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter and future considerations

for

Captain America and the Hulk

Edited by Matthew McCallum on 11 March 2010 at 12:28pm

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2010 at 5:56pm | IP Logged | 6  

I think it's more interesting to consider the switch if the characters are replacing ones at the other company completely.

I believe the Hulk might work better at DC, becoming their Blockbuster/Doomsday type. The contrast between the Hulk and DC's heroes is so much more interesting to me, and tragic in terms of Banner's curse. What I like about the Hulk in the DCU is how he relates to the superheroes there: Batman can perceive Bruce Banner's tragic loneliness. Superman sees a mirror image of himself, if he were not so responsible. Wonder Woman might find the Hulk the ultimate male challenge.

What's even better is that Superman, in any fight, is always going to have a tremendous problem with the Hulk. Superman isn't used to such powerful savagery, for one thing. For another, Superman is trying not to kill the Hulk and thus Banner. What never works at Marvel about Thor vs the savage Hulk is that, at some point, Thor's bloodlust should kick in and result in a slain Hulk. Whenever Thor "holds back", it's like the character is poorly written, to me. And when you consider the current atmosphere in comics of this type, it doesn't make sense for Thor not to follow his godly instincts and kill the Hulk.

Superman, however, doesn't have those issues. So any battle royale with the Hulk is even more perilous for Superman. The only way to stop the Hulk is to kill him, and Superman won't ever kill. Catch-22.

Also, definitely Captain America as leader of the Justice Society of America of the 1940s. In the 1970s, Jack Kirby brings him back via cloning and Project Cadmus.

Machine Man is definitely DC Comics-oriented. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't the rennovated Robotman of Paul Kupperberg's Doom Patrol, Cliff Steele's brain with Stack's Hand Weapons System in the new DP. I get chills.

Where Cap used to be at Marvel, put Wonder Woman in his place. She fought in WW 2, departed for Paradise Island to put her aging on ice, and returned to the world of Man to lead the Avengers. She'd lost her WW 2 lover, her non-Amazon family, her place in the US Government. Her private war with the Red Skull could be subtextually aggravated by not only the Skull's racial superiority beliefs, but gender superiority ones as well.

Arc Carlton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2010 at 6:28pm | IP Logged | 7  

If Aquaman was in the 31st century, he'd be a member of the Legion of Substitute Heroes.

That was just cruel .

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2010 at 7:06pm | IP Logged | 8  

I can easily see Captain Marvel and Captain America having the kind of buddy relationship that the pre-crisis Superman and Batman had.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2010 at 8:08pm | IP Logged | 9  

Ron Frenz rocks!

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2010 at 8:11pm | IP Logged | 10  

Firestorm to Marvel

=============================================

Gerry Conway has always said that Firestorm was his way of introducing a Marvel hero in to the DC Universe.

I think of Ronnie Raymond as DC's Peter Parker, but with less baggage.

John Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2010 at 9:04pm | IP Logged | 11  

Michael Todd how did you make your comic covers?  

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2010 at 9:24pm | IP Logged | 12  

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version