Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 39 Next >>
Topic: A Challenge to Marvel (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2008 at 6:00am | IP Logged | 1  

At least pretend you're a JB fan. Otherwise there's really no point here, is there? 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Martin Kogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2008 at 8:04am | IP Logged | 2  

That's right, Brian. You should be a real fan. Like Eva Bright.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2008 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 3  

I have no idea whether or not Ms. Bright was someone's real or imagined identity. But at least she had the right idea. Why waste time, months and years, on a message board about someone you don't give a shit about? Are your lives really that cavernously empty?

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2008 at 8:29am | IP Logged | 4  

I would love to see JB handle the Marvel characters again. Still, I it would take more than his return to make me go back. That is one messed up place.  

Paul H. Kupperberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2008 at 8:35am | IP Logged | 5  

Simon sez:
"As for ditching the likes of Bendis and Millar, the problem with that is that those two writers are responsible for the majority of Marvel's top selling comics right now, and indeed have been for the past few years - month after month."

I'm just catching up with this thread, but I just gotta point out: if Marvel or DC had to depend on just the sale of comic books for their continued existences, both places would be parking lots today. The comics sales could double tomorrow and it still wouldn't make a difference; what the likes of Bendis, Millar etc do in the comics is irrelevant in the bigger scheme of things, i.e. to the licensees, where the real money is made. Marvel could switch to all-reprints tomorrow as well and, while sales would fall, that would be chump change compared to what the properties would still earn them through licensing.

We all ought to remember that the editorial departments of Marvel and DC are the tails that wag the dog, but the corporate dogs are starting to wake up to the reality of throwing good money after bad for print publications. I wouldn't be surprised if a certain beloved & iconic, 50+ year old magazine from our childhoods hits that unprofitable-with-all-new-material wall soon and goes, at least partially, reprint. Its editors are sure as hell worried its coming.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jeff Stockwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2008 at 8:38am | IP Logged | 6  

Paul, I'm curious, how do the DC Showcase collections (the big BW phonebook style collections) do in terms of sales? 

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2008 at 8:39am | IP Logged | 7  

Though he has written a few stories that didn't click for me, Bendis is a talented writer and I genuinely don't point a finger at him for the messiness of that company. One of the big issues that came about after his rise to stardom was the fact that it became some sort of policy for writers to write decompressed stories in the vein of his work. The vast majority of them were poor mimics. From the very first indie books that I read when he published them, he has a very distinct rhythem to his dialogue. While Bendis has a genuine skill in the style he uses, it should be left to him to use his unique voice in the industry.

Edited by Fred J Chamberlain on 23 December 2008 at 8:50am

Bruce Buchanan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2008 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 8  

With all due respect, Paul, Marvel's annual reporting with the SEC tells a different story. According to that report, Marvel's publishing arm is healthy and profitable - it isn't just a loss-leader for the licensing properties. Publishing still accounts for one-third of the company's revenues and Marvel turned a nice profit last year.

Don't know about DC, as they are such a small cog in a what is a huge conglomerate. But Marvel's current business model is working. They ain't gonna stop making comic books any time soon.

(Having said all that, who knows how the current economic mess is going to impact comics? But that is completely out of Marvel and DC's control.)

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2008 at 8:47am | IP Logged | 9  

Pete York wrote:
If you respect John, why would you ask him to basically supplicate himself and make a mockery out of what for him is a principled stand?  Would you ask the same of yourself?

This basically says it all. 

But I would add that the challenge could have been posted by anyone but just happened to have been posted by JB.  That he is a veteran comic creator who used to do work for Marvel is irrelevant to the challenge. 

Basically, Brevoort has deflected the focus on the challenge itself (and thus having to answer it with substance) and directed it toward JB.  So, apparently, he's successfully dodged answering the challenge.
Back to Top profile | search

Greg Reeves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2008 at 8:54am | IP Logged | 10  

The fact that Marvel does not rely on its publishing arm to be the primary source of profit is one of the reasons it's still a source of creativity.  One may not like the direction of a book or storyline (or even a trend in the entire company), but that doesn't mean it isn't creative.  Read any of the books by Brubaker, Fraction, Slott, Gage, and a few others and you'll see there's still good stories to be told.  If the books WERE the onlysource of revenue, I'd be worried that Marvel would try any gimmick whatsoever (like they did in the very early 90s) to attract readers.  The only gimmick I see is putting Wolverine in multiple books.

QUOTE:
At least pretend you're a JB fan. Otherwise there's really no point here, is there? 

See, there's the root of so many websites' criticisms of the JBF: people who are mindless followers, or worse, pretension of liking something because of hero worship.  How about some respectable open-minded discussion about comics being the point of being here?

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2008 at 8:55am | IP Logged | 11  

I also don't see how being a writer in one form of entertainment, disqualifies someone from another.

Writing for television or movies is completely different that writing comic books (similar to storyboards vs comic art). As a matter of fact, many problems with modern scripts is that they're written without acknowledging comic book 'rules', and try to shoe horn a television approach that results in talking heads and bad storytelling.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2008 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 12  

Writing for television or movies is completely different that writing comic books

But does that mean that one can't be good at both?

<< Prev Page of 39 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version