Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 39 Next >>
Topic: A Challenge to Marvel (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2008 at 8:37pm | IP Logged | 1  

It would be very interesting to see what type of superhero comics the fans
prefer: the Ultimate line, the official line, or the "idealized" line.

++++++++++++++++++
I don't want to have to choose.
Back to Top profile | search

Bill Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2008 at 9:27pm | IP Logged | 2  

I challenge JB (with all respect) to make the call.

••

You challenge me to go begging for work? Isn't an editor who has a job to
offer supposed to call the freelancer(s) he thinks would be appropriate to the
job?

As noted upthread, Breevort isn't "calling me out". He's admitting (perhaps
without realizing it) that I have made a valid point and is not responding to
that point, but instead saying "let's see you do better!"

Which I've already done.

---------------------------

Mr Byrne, and I comment here honestly with all due respect for you, your skills, and your body of work -- but I don't think calling Marvel to discuss your working on a project that would be both creative to you and hopefully beneficial to Marvel "begging".

Marvel doesn't need to call you.  You're just another artist to them now.  Marvel has lines of willing talent to use for new books that are probably a hell of a lot cheaper than your page rate.  Also, there are newer talents that sell more books per month just on name association alone -- long gone is 1986 when your name on any book was the Midas touch.  In my opinion, most of that talent is no where in your league --- but Tom Breevort puts you and your skills up there with other greats like Perez and Simonson who are both doing current work for Marvel and DC -- Perez doing some of his best work in years.  I read his post as telling you that Marvel has a place for you - but that you are the one not willing to accept that place at Marvel, "M*****" as it is commonly referred to here.

You have NOTHING to prove to me, to your fans or to yourself.  You proved it twenty years ago.  You ARE The King -- but so are Elvis and Michael Jackson.  I'm sure Elvis would be headlining a show in Vegas somwhere if he were alive and I'm sure Michael Jackson would still make records if his nose didn't keep melting....it's all about staying in the game.  The difference with you is, as Breevort alludes to, YOU still have plenty of game in you (like Perez and Simonson).

Creatively - I think you're in the best place to be right now.  I love IDW and their books.  I think you've got a lot of creative juice to let flow over Star Trek and Angel, etc -- you love the source material and I think you will have fun with it -- that fun will translate into fun for your fans.  But just like Breevort supposes, I think you want to work with Marvel again but not with toys you look at as broken.

Personally, I'd love to see you go to Marvel and do a monthly book along the lines of LIFE ON MARS (tv show) -- where a character like Hawkeye wakes up back in the 1975 Marvel Universe.  Everyone thinks he's just acting weird by saying he's from the future -- but what the reader gets is a monthly "throw back" title that recaptures all the fun and fun characters of the past because Hawkeye (or whomever) has monthly adventures alongside the 1975 MU.  Get Marvel to publish the book on newspaper stock, too.  Perhaps take that idea and have the character be Wolverine waking up in "the past" at a point just after X-Men 143...you could pick up where you left off...???  Would your monthly book mean anything to the current MU storylines -- no -- but who cares?  You would be having fun with the toys that aren't broken.  The pitfall, of course, Marvel could cancel you like they did with XMHY even though numbers are strong -- and that would appear as a failure to those Byrne-bashers who love to slam you.  Fuck them.  You've got nothing to prove to them.  Perhaps rotating the creative team on a book like this with other classic creators like Perez and Simonson, etc could keep interest strong for older fans AND newer fans might catch on -- if canceled, the Byrne bashers would have to throw all of the creators under the bus, too.

Why do I care so much about YOU at Marvel and DC --- 'cause guys like you, Perez, Simonson, etal -- are the only thing keeping me in comics.  I hate most of the current books - I can't stand reading them.  Getting you back on board making a Marvel book something I would wait for each month -- oh, that would be heaven.

I's not begging -- it's just business...but I'm begging, I'm beggin YOU.  Make the call.  Please.

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2008 at 9:43pm | IP Logged | 3  

Personally, I'd love to see you go to Marvel and do a monthly book along the
lines of LIFE ON MARS (tv show) -- where a character like Hawkeye wakes up
back in the 1975 Marvel Universe. Everyone thinks he's just acting weird by
saying he's from the future -- but what the reader gets is a monthly "throw
back" title that recaptures all the fun and fun characters of the past because
Hawkeye (or whomever) has monthly adventures alongside the 1975 MU.
+++++++++++++++++++++

That's a really interesting idea for a story. I would love to see this approach
taken with the main Iron Man book. I can't recall if Jb has ever written for IM
but anyway, there's the pitch.

Bill Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2008 at 9:45pm | IP Logged | 4  

It would work GREAT for Iron Man -- use Jim Rhodes (spelling) as the time shifted character...  He'd be all upset that Tony was a drunk and have to act like he didn't know Tony was Iron Man, etc...

Edited by Bill Brown on 21 December 2008 at 9:46pm

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2008 at 9:51pm | IP Logged | 5  

" It's not like F**kdom is going embrace the man for entertaining them again."

Chad's got it right. If JB goes back, it will take a day for the Zombies to go "ho-hum, we've seen this already." Even before the first book is out.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2008 at 9:53pm | IP Logged | 6  

"Oh I LOVE you JB. You're the MAN. You're nothing really. Accept it. But you're the KING. Eat humble pie. Everything you do is MAGIC."

Bill Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2008 at 10:08pm | IP Logged | 7  

Edited by Bill Brown on 21 December 2008 at 10:10pm

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2008 at 10:18pm | IP Logged | 8  

Jeff, by they're very nature, the MA books pretty much reboot with each new issue. Except for MA Iron Man and MA Avengers, there's very little (if any at all) lasting continuity in any of the books. JB and other creators rebooting the line and kicking up the "maturity" factor of the MA books to the ALL AGES level of Amazing Spider-Girl, wouldn't hurt the books or their "success". In fact, it just MIGHT make the books even more successful by attracting more NON ANAL RETENTIVE older fans who want to read good old schooled action packed superhero comics.

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2008 at 1:18am | IP Logged | 9  

t would work GREAT for Iron Man -- use Jim Rhodes (spelling) as the time shifted character...  He'd be all upset that Tony was a drunk and have to act like he didn't know Tony was Iron Man, etc...
+++++++++++++++
Er, if any Marvel character landed in 1975 he would live in a world without superheroes, roughly 7-11 years ago. Tony's alcoholism emerged after he became Iron-Man. I don't think a "Life on Mars" approach would work well in superheroes comics.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bill Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2008 at 1:28am | IP Logged | 10  

Then don't buy JB's new Marvel book then, Thanos......LOL

Don Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2008 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 11  

"You challenge me to go begging for work? Isn't an editor who has a job to
offer supposed to call the freelancer(s) he thinks would be appropriate to the
job?

As noted upthread, Breevort isn't "calling me out". He's admitting (perhaps
without realizing it) that I have made a valid point and is not responding to
that point, but instead saying "let's see you do better!"

Which I've already done."

My dad always taught me that if I wat something in life, I have to work hard for it. And past reputation is not current work.

If you want it, you have to make the effort. If you don't want to make the effort, then you don't want it. If you don't want it, then you shouldn't bitch about it.

Those were a paraphrase of his words. When I want a consulting gig,I don't just take in a portfolio of my old work.  I add to it and work my ass off to show them what I can do today.

I think this world has too many I shouldn't have to audition," Hollywood attitudes of entitlement.

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2008 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 12  

My understanding of the individual post was that it was focused on what John would like to see Marvel do, not what he wanted to do at Marvel.

<< Prev Page of 39 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version