Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 39 Next >>
Topic: A Challenge to Marvel (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2008 at 6:15am | IP Logged | 1  

Todd: It's such a big deal because May's life, Peter's current (more or less) happy life...it's built upon the hero getting what he wants by giving pure, undistilled evil what it wants, with no repercussions for either.Todd, do you really believe that there won't be reparcussions for this? I mean, we are talking about 1) a deal with the devil and 2) Peter Parker.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2008 at 6:18am | IP Logged | 2  

Perhaps it would have been slightly better with the Beyonder instead of Mephisto. It was through his machinations that Peter encountered the black costume. Say Venom killed MJ and the Beyonder gave Peter the choice to erase the entire Secret Wars so that Venom never existed. But the price would be the marriage would be erased as well.

Edited by Joe Zhang on 19 December 2008 at 6:20am

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2008 at 6:23am | IP Logged | 3  

QUOTE:
Perhaps it would have been slightly better with the Beyonder instead of Mephisto.

You mean the mutant Inhuman? ;)
Back to Top profile | search

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2008 at 6:24am | IP Logged | 4  

Joe, I'll respond the way that I responded to posters at the SMB before repeating it ad nausem.... Let's let it play out before we assume we know what is going on and just enjoy the ride. :)

Matt Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2008 at 7:12am | IP Logged | 5  

Wait, Spider-Man was switched over to organic web? WTF? Guess that show you how long it's been since I read that series.

Bruce Buchanan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2008 at 8:01am | IP Logged | 6  

Spidey still has his trusty web-shooters. No organic webs here.

Fred, that's the way I feel about it. I'm just enjoying the ride. So far, we've gotten a 20-issue run of good comics, which ain't too shabby. If others don't like it, that's fine. But I've been a Spider-Man fan since I was in kindergarten (back in 1976) and I'm enjoying the current book a great deal.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2008 at 8:03am | IP Logged | 7  

Me too Bruce.  It's the first time I've read Spider-Man for more than a few issues since the mid-90s.

Todd Douglas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2008 at 8:45am | IP Logged | 8  

QUOTE:
Todd, do you really believe that there won't be reparcussions for this? I mean, we are talking about 1) a deal with the devil and 2) Peter Parker.

Well, that's been one of my points all along, in response to the chorus of, "The Mephisto thing's done.  It's in the past.  It's not being mentioned.  It's being ignored.  Move on."

But, what I posted was my answer to, specifically, why the Mephisto thing is such a big deal.  "The Mephisto thing" isn't (in and of itself) responsible for my perception of the book's quality.  Rather, it's just one symptom of what I find wrong with the book currently.  Does this mean that I think JMS's run was wonderful?  Nope.  Found it unreadable, as well...just in different ways.

Bill Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2008 at 12:41pm | IP Logged | 9  

So -- I just read Tom Breevort blog for the first time.

I have two questions:   What Dark Horse project is he referring to?

AND

Is John Byrne going to accept the challenge and call Marvel / DC or just stay where he is making a living on commissions and Star Trek books? (which I'm fine with, by-the-way)

I see nothing wrong with Tom's post.  he basically is calling John out.  JB poked the bear with his "challenge" thread (posted in the privacy of a public forum on the world wide web).  JB obviously intended the post to trickle over to the powers that be at Marvel -- and they responded.

Tom's comparison of JB to George Perez is perfect.  I love Perez's work he's doing now.  It's edited just enough to keep it "current" -- but it has such a harkening back to the good old days of my youth....I love it.   I think there is definitely a niche for John Byrne over at Marvel or DC -- JB just has to be willing to find it.  I don't think Marvel or DC should have to go out of their way to find the niche for him.

I get the impression that Tom is just saying  -- "hey, guy with talent, stop pissing against the wind and come back over and see if there are some toys you want to play with".   What I suspect is going on behind the posts is that neither Tom nor JB want to be the first to bury the hatchet -- though Tom's blog sure did seem like an invitation to at least open a dialogue.

Personally, I don't think John Byrne owes the fans anything.  His body of work over 30 years is more than enough.  I do feel that John Byrne has some desire to work with the characters he loves -- this shows in his commissions and frustrated comments about current happenings in the MU -- my wish for the New Year is that by-gones can be by-gones and that John Byrne can find a project to work on at Marvel - not one that is universe shattering, but one that is meaningful in content to the creator -- John Byrne --- becuase that project will be meningful to his legion of fans.

I challenge JB (with all respect) to make the call.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2008 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 10  

JT Molloy wrote:
Also, it astounds me constantly that there are some vocal Spider-fans out there who can't get into Brand New Day, but actually MISS the married, iron-clad, avengers mansion living, teacher, organic webbed, totem powered, stinger claw having Spider-Man.

Speaking as one of the disenfranchised, I hated what JMS was doing.  Heck, he was the one who got me to drop Amazing after not missing an issue since the black costume debuted.  But negating the marriage, particularly the way they chose to do it, came across as not just throwing out the baby with the bathwater but also the baby's older siblings.

The BND stuff I read (the first 12 issues) wasn't horrible, but the stuff I liked could have easily been done with married Spider-Man and the stuff that required single Spider-Man just got on my nerves.

And he's still in the Avengers...

But I do think it was wise for Tom Brevoort to hire a crew of people that seemed interested in filling in the gaps rather than just saying "suck it up and move on."  (Aside from the "intro feature" in #546 that basically said as much.)  Thing is, I think the fans who actually liked some of what happened over the last 5-20 years are bound to feel some whiplash after having so much of it negated so abruptly.  Had it been done more gradually, I doubt it would have been as much of an issue.

Taavi Suhonen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2008 at 1:56pm | IP Logged | 11  

Bill Brown wrote:
What Dark Horse project is he referring to?

Based on the context I believe he is talking about FX which is actually published by IDW.

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2008 at 2:46pm | IP Logged | 12  

JB has done a lot of projects that he ended up being disappointed with, including at least one (AF) he was leery of from the getgo.  If he KNOWS he wouldn't want to work at Marvel, it'd be insane to want him to give it the old college try.

<< Prev Page of 39 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version