Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 39 Next >>
Topic: A Challenge to Marvel (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2008 at 7:00am | IP Logged | 1  

There's no reason a mature reader has to "let go" of anything.

That's why Marvel needs JB. If you read a comic and feel that it has been dumbed down, then you shouldn't be reading comics. This push to make comics more real, has hurt the industry.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2008 at 7:03am | IP Logged | 2  

I long for the days of the "Suggested for mature readers" tag.  DC seemed so sure of itself back then, such a steady hand. 

You had the bright super-heroes with the Invasions and the Millenniums on one side and the shady-palette monsters and anti-heroes (Swamp Thing, Hellblazer) on the fringe, properly identified.  
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 December 2008 at 7:09am | IP Logged | 3  

Remembering, of course, that SWAMP THING started as a brilliant (award
winning) "All Ages" book with the Comics Code stamp on the cover.

"Mature" should mean just that -- and it should reference editorial content,
not cleavage.

federico mazzoncini
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2008 at 8:02am | IP Logged | 4  

Exactly.

Speaking of which, one of the defining moments in my Marble reader career is when I reread for the umpteenth time an ultra classic Byrne story and found a female character coming off the shower boobs a-bouncing, nipples and all. Only disguised by an aptly laid down shading...

I had read that story a zillion times before, and never noticed. And so must have the editors of the time.

And I'm talking CLASSIC Byrne here. Comics code approved.

What a clever artist!!!!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 December 2008 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 5  

I reread for the umpteenth time an ultra classic Byrne story and found a
female character coming off the shower boobs a-bouncing, nipples and all.
Only disguised by an aptly laid down shading...

••

Which scene is this?

Don Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2008 at 8:45am | IP Logged | 6  

Id on't hear readers (meaning the mass majority rather than a loud individual) demanding anything until something they have been given is taken away. It's the companies who take on different plans and parts of the demographic latch on to them. Unfortunately, a different direction can alienate a market segment as they have now had something taken away. It's a balancing act of tough decisions. I notice as much demand to go backward as I hear to move forward. Change is difficult for some.

Comparing comic books to specific franchises is a mistake.  It's a medium that really needs to be compared to other media. Television has changed a great deal since th 60s. You can't find the same types of shows on the air. It was simpler times. We moved from Leave it to Beaver to Married with Children to Family Guy. Saturday morning cartoons no longer exist. Children do not have the same interests. Compare Winnie the Pooh to Hary Potter.  But both in front of children and see what they choose or want. 

federico mazzoncini
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2008 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 7  

Which scene is this?

••••••••

Storm coming out of the shower, X-men number... Uh... I don't remember.

After 137, I guess. I'm at the office right now, I'll check for sure later and maybe post a scan tomorrow...

Edited by federico mazzoncini on 18 December 2008 at 9:06am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 December 2008 at 9:07am | IP Logged | 8  

Storm coming out of the shower…

••

Your imagination is running away with you, Federico! Your description
hardly fits the scene as published!

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2008 at 9:16am | IP Logged | 9  

X-Men 109, Storm with her plants.  My ultra-Catholic father pointed it out for its lewdness and impropriety.

Brace yourselves.  There's a fainting couch over by the victrola.

Don't get me wrong; I love my dad.  But he really thought stuff like the above was going to warp my mind.

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2008 at 9:36am | IP Logged | 10  

But he really thought stuff like the above was going to warp my mind.

That's what rock 'n' roll is for <g>....

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2008 at 9:37am | IP Logged | 11  

To Zaki

despite the success the Marvel Adventure books have had in other venues outside the direct market, still does not negate the fact (IMO) that the books are poorly executed as "all ages" comics. IMO, a good all ages superhero comic is layered and can be enjoyed on many different levels by little kids,tweens,teens,and adults. The MA books only have the young kids level covered.

If you compare the MC2 line (spider-Girl,A-Next,J2,and Fantastic Five),the First Class books,and the MA books you will be able to see the stark difference between all of the lines when it comes to writing layered all ages books.

The MC2 line is a perfect example of a layered all ages comics, and is the way most (if not all) code approved Marvel superhero comics used to be written before Quesada and Jemas started calling the shots.

The First Class books are not as layered as the MC2 books, but they don't talk down to the reader. However, like the MA books, the FC books tend to shy away or totally avoid showing anyone getting killed on panel. Heck, Wolverine is even allowed to stab/cut anyone in the Wolverine FC book. I guess the editors never read all of those ALL AGES CODE APPROVED issues of Uncanny X-Men and Wolverine that showed him fatally stabbing and/or cutting up bad guys on panel in a tasteful manner.

The MA books are not allowed to show death or even use the word "kill" in the books. The books are often, but not always, silly and dumbed down.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2008 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 12  

The feeling I get from the MA books is that the actual intended audience is the Bendis folks. It's like, talk-talk-talk , brief fight scene, talk-talk-talk-talk. I don't know why that is.

<< Prev Page of 39 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version