Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 39 Next >>
Topic: A Challenge to Marvel (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2008 at 9:10am | IP Logged | 1  

Well, I'm with you on that one JB. The same thought goes through my mind everytime new titles are announced at places like Newsarama, and the comments attached to said article consist of "Cool. I'll get the trade". And I think to myself... well, no, because there won't be a trade if the monthly sales are crap. But it seems not. Most publishers take future trade sales into account now when deciding on a book's profitability. For example, the Dabel Brothers books: monthly sales on some of those were around 5k, even when published under the Marvel banner, but the trades shifted tens of thousands of units. So the monthly book actually lost money, but it was more than recouped via the TPB.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2008 at 9:14am | IP Logged | 2  

Bruce wrote... "If all of Marvel's comics were like the current ASM"

Then every Marvel 'hero' would have to make a deal with MEPHISTO (the Devil) to get their books back to being GOOD.

(Not a shot at you Bruce, just can't stop hating the lousy way JoeQ handled everything - Peter Parker turning to the Devil to get himself out of a jam)
Back to Top profile | search

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2008 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 3  

Yes Simon the market has changed in the past 20 years, but what about 20 years from now?

Most of us here have collected and loved comics since we were kids and continue to do so today, but that scenario is less likely to happen for new readers because the comicbook stories themselves are less engaging than they were back in the day.
JB's challenge is a good signpost.

Bruce Buchanan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2008 at 9:35am | IP Logged | 4  

Lars, the current ASM creative team had nothing to do with the Mephisto storyline. For better or for worse, that storyline is in the past - the book has moved forward, and moved forward in a very positive direction, in my opinion.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Greg Reeves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2008 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 5  

QUOTE:
Brevoort should not have made his response to JB on the official Marble website. JB didn't go there with his 'challenge'. This is John Byrne's own website and can he can say anything he wants to, if anyone wants to respond they can respond HERE.

Brevoort did no different.  He responded on his own blog to a challenge made here by JB on HIS own blog.  To come here would have been very disrespectful on Brevoort's part, unless he responded simply by saying thanks for the input.  Here's the thing: I bet if they talked, JB would be offered something, but make no mistake- Brevoort doesn't really think anything's wrong with Marvel.  He's effectively saying "if you think there's something wrong with Marvel, then come do some work for us and fix it if you can, instead of slamming us in many of your threads."  But Brevoort doesn't think anything needs fixing, I bet.

Robert Kowalewski II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2008 at 10:34am | IP Logged | 6  

Bruce B:

Lars, the current ASM creative team had nothing to do with the Mephisto storyline. For better or for worse, that storyline is in the past - the book has moved forward, and moved forward in a very positive direction, in my opinion.

Yes it has, and with Roger Stern doing another 3 issue arc in 2009 and John Romita Jr & Marc Guggenheim on Character Assination starting with issue 584 it looks to be a good year.

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2008 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 7  

Bruce, I'm glad that the new ASM writers are doing a good job, I love Spider-Man.
(I'm just disappointed that Peter Parker was shown to be so out of character in a published issue.)
'Moving Forward' sounds great.

Greg, I'm not the type of person to nit-pick or split hairs,
but I believe there IS a difference of opinion here.
Brevoort's blog is not on BREVOORT.COM, it's on the official website Marvel.com.
I agree with your other thoughts though, even though I can't believe that JB would ever be given total free reign to create stories his own way.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2008 at 10:45am | IP Logged | 8  

QUOTE:
But Brevoort doesn't think anything needs fixing, I bet.

Then, again, it probably would have been more apt to answer JB's challenge point for point.

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2008 at 10:51am | IP Logged | 9  

Bingo!

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2008 at 11:02am | IP Logged | 10  

Brevoort's blog is not on BREVOORT.COM, it's on the official website Marvel.com.

And JB's challenge wasn't to Brevoort, it was to Marvel, thus Tom responded as an employee of Marvel.  You know, a cog in the machine.

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2008 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 11  

Again, I'm not into petty details, but...
JB did not post on 'their' site, he posted HERE in his 'home'.
Honestly, why did the cog feel that he needed to respond at all? And if so why not respond to the points made in the actual challenge itself?

Please don't misunderstand my point.

Besides all that, the challenge is valid and shows that John Byrne has a great affection for these characters and if nothing else comes of it I'm glad that this thread HAS actually grabbed a Cog's attention.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 December 2008 at 11:55am | IP Logged | 12  

…a challenge made here by JB on HIS own blog.

••

This is not a blog.

<< Prev Page of 39 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version