Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 226 Next >>
Topic: JBF Image Gallery Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2007 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Ron, you must post this one on the "New Artwork" thread! This one is for JB's Art only!

Edited by Juan Jose Colin Arciniega on 15 November 2007 at 11:28am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Sam Houston
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2007 at 10:56am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Seeing those pages from the Batman 3-D book reminds me of what I now miss...being able to enjoy 3-D!  A couple years back I tore the retina in my left eye and after 3 surgeries there was no go for returning the sight in my eye, so a pirates life is mine.  I still have the Batman 3-D book, though, in hopes of science advancing!

Edited by Sam Houston on 24 December 2007 at 10:12am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Garett Stehle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2008 at 7:51pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

In honour of Ryan Maxwell's Alpha Flight reading club.
Here is a better picture of the Alpha t-shirt

Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2008 at 8:47pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Cool shirt, but it always bothered me that they inverted Snowbird's colors and made her hand gloveless so that she'd not blend into the blue t-shirt.  This annoyed me so much that I didn't purchase the shirt when I saw it back in the day, but now I really wish that I had.  Just seeing it brings back a lot of memories.

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2008 at 9:03pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Garett, you rock!  Thanks, I've never seen that before!  I'd love to have that now, I'd wear it with pride.

***Felicity Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2008 at 9:04am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Frank Strysik, thanks for posting that Megatron drawing! I had no idea Mr. Byrne had drawn a Transformer!

You know, for the last few years I’ve been thinking that if the Transformers were the X-Men, Prowl would be Cyclops.
Back to Top profile | search | www

***Felicity Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2008 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Marc Guggenheim, that Macintosh Plus art is an awesome popular-cultural artifact of that exact moment in personal computing and comics. It may just be that I was a child during that time, but back then, I felt such a sense of wonder when someone could make art with a computer! In the here and now, OTOH, computers are a great help in making art and showing it to other people, but the thought of a comic that was made with a computer is nothing special. In fact, bad lettering fonts and techniques, and bad colouring techniques, have sometimes made me wish that computers hadn’t become so standard in comics. Most of my favourite letterists have disappeared in the last ten years.

Not all comic lettering fonts are bad. I like the font Mr. Byrne used in Next Men, and for webcomics artists, there’s exactly one good free lettering font--A.C.M.E. Explosive. I’ve even made some lettering fonts, the hard way, with a stack of comics, a scanner, and a font creator program, one glyph at a time. I have fonts based on the lettering of John Byrne (a font of a font!), Janice Chiang, Dave Gibbons, David Jackson, Jack Morelli, and John Workman, though I keep them to myself. They’re nowhere near as good as the source material, but why take the chance that I’m stepping on someone’s toes?

In the mid-to-late 1980s there was a really neat comic called Shatter. It was cyberpunk, before everyone knew what that was. It was made entirely on Macintoshes and Apple peripherals, starting with a Macintosh Plus and an Apple ImageWriter printer, and
ending with a Macintosh II and LaserWriter, IIRC. Sadly, despite a great story and exciting experimental art, it only lasted 15 issues. About five years and a few computer generations later, one or two of the creators behind Shatter brought out a new computer-produced comic called Donna Matrix, but it wasn’t the same. The magic was gone.

***Felicity Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2008 at 7:43pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The trouble with that Marvel Age #86 cover is that the John Byrne art on it set my expectations too high for the six new hot titles of 1990! Of course, Namor actually was by John Byrne (issue 20 was one of the comics that got me hooked on John Byrne), and it turned out that Spider-Man and Ghost Rider were quite the hits, but ah, if only John Byrne had been doing all six titles...but that MA cover was just a dream.

Pat Ditton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2008 at 2:23pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

What issue of Superman is that Lex Luthor page from?   I'm drawing a blank remembering that sequence...

Danton Lopes
Byrne Robotics Member
Take The Dare

Posted: 01 February 2008 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

never published.
There was a thread years ago where this page was inked and colored by JBFers, maybe someone could upload it.

Pat Ditton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2008 at 9:36pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

WOW -- I would LOVE to see that !!!!!!!!

Joe Aten
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2008 at 5:47pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Found this whilst perusing the Net. It's been awhile since I've looked through this thread, but don't recall seeing it before. Iron Fist with a fist of Iron.

<< Prev Page of 226 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version