Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 1492 Next >>
Topic: New artwork Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2008 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Gerry's right.  I would agree that just about every one of those Kubert sketches has been GREAT.  However, for the reason Fred C. stated above, I decided not to order one.  I'm glad so many of you guys are getting them and sharing them so I can see but it wasn't worth the risk to me.  If I'm going to spend money on an artist I want to make sure they give me what I want.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2008 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Yeah, I was feeling a bit iffy on the whole situation. I'm hoping that Joe is comfortable with doing Hex. If not, eh, it is a Kubert book and an original sketch. Just didn't understand what the issue was.... unless they had some high maitenence, pushy buyers who were making unreasonable demands. That reminds me, I do hope that Joe gets those 1867 pistols dead on as well as the wildlife in the background perfect for me. ;)

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2008 at 1:37pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Sooo many sweet Kuberts and Hembecks here that a grown man almost gets a bit teary-eyed from all the pretty things to look on. As always, thanks guys for sharing! And huge congrats on your pieces.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Trevor Giberson
Byrne Robotics Chronology

Posted: 10 January 2008 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Which artist do you comissioners think is the best bang for the buck for a poor guy like me?  Some relatively inexpensive, but also reliable and does a great job?
Back to Top profile | search

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2008 at 1:57pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Neil Vokes does nice, stylized work and is especially effective with pieces that warrent dramatic lighting, etc. He uses pen and ink and a wash technique for some stunning stuff. His rates are reasonable too!

Fred

Dave Aikins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2008 at 2:09pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I think we've found that with the Kubert character request, you can't expect any character that would make Joe have to stop and think about who the character is.
So...
Yes to Hawkman, Batman, Sgt Rock, Enemy Ace, Tex/Western guys. We've also seen Tomahawk and Enemy Ace.

No to The Thing, Captain America, etc...
It's not that big of a roll of the dice if you want Sgt Rock. It is if you want Green Lantern.
You also have to consider the price. This is much cheaper then, say, Neal Adams drawing in his books. So, it can't be considered too much like having him do a commissioned sketch, nor is it advertised as so (although, yes, I was a bit nervous that I'd get "some dude" instead of hawkman).
I think we've all been pretty happy with the quality of the drawings, as they could have been "remarks" or plain ol' doodles.
Heck, I was surprised that he was willing at the time to do the drawing out of the book. On the other hand, he made sure to personalize it to "David S. Aikins" which is a bit more formal then everyone elses'. Not sure if that was on purpose or not...

Trevor Giberson

Posted: 10 January 2008 at 2:12pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

How do you get in contact with Joe Kubert if you are interested in a commission?

Dave Aikins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2008 at 2:20pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Trevor-
You know, there are so many different levels of commissions (single figure, full backgound, full scene, etc...), that I think you're better off putting together a list of artists that mean something to you and then researching their prices, quality, and reliability/availibilty.
Better that then just going with an artist solely on bang for the buck.
Some artists' info is easy to track down. Make a list and start Googling...
Also, you have to ask if, lets say, a nice $600 piece from an established artist is a better value then a great $300 picture from a lesser artist. I tend to find that if money is an issue, you sometimes need to justify it with a bit of investment mentality. Not too much, but a little helps open the check book...
You can build a very nice collection with art that ranges between $50-$150. You might get single figure pencil drawings, but that can still make a great collection.
In the end, I tend to like to spend money on artists that I'm a big fan off, not ones that do great commissions, but that I've never really heard of(or never bought their books).

Trevor Giberson

Posted: 10 January 2008 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I'm not really interested in single characters - or any published characters at all.  I was thinking of something in the lines of a black & white piece that would have fit in well as a sci-fi/fantasy pulp magazine cover from the 30s-50s. Let the artist be the artist, and see what turns up.

Gerry Turnbull
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2008 at 2:25pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

sounds ideal for Neil Vokes
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Trevor Giberson

Posted: 10 January 2008 at 2:27pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Yeah, I just emailed him.  I'd like to see what JB could do in this situation, but I didn't get a Christmas bonus this year and it's not affordable on my pay.

Trevor Giberson

Posted: 10 January 2008 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I've also emailed Frank Brunner.  In my mind, along with P. Craig Russell and Michael Kaluta, Brunner's pretty much the ideal in my mind for this kind of collection...

<< Prev Page of 1492 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version