Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9
Topic: Do we need a new Superman? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2007 at 5:00pm | IP Logged | 1  

The "realistic and interconnected universe" idea has gotten so far out of hand that its become limiting rather than inspiring to the creation of good stories. What we need are what JB has referred to as "island books" meaning that Superman or Batman or whoever would indeed be the only heroes whose existence had to be noted the majority of the time in thier own books without having to account for exactly when the story took place in relation to the whole world of DC. There's no reason a character can't seem to exist in their own self contained universe in their own books and still appear in the JLA or Avengers or whatever. It's only the fact that some readers get so anal about continuity that keeps this simple solution, that worked so well for so long, from coming into prominence again. Who knows? This might even serve to help sales of some books if new readers didn't feel like they were being forced to buy multiple titles to "keep up."
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

David Whiteley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2007 at 5:35pm | IP Logged | 2  

The need to constantly reinvent the status quo makes the interconnected
worlds more troublesome than it needs to be. Compare an issue of JLA from
the 70s and you don't need to worry what is happening in Batman,
Superman or Wonder Woman comics. It is all self-contained without the
need to explain that Superman is dead, or split into Blue and Yellow, or
Batman is now Azrael.
Back to Top profile | search

Kevin Tuma
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2007 at 4:03am | IP Logged | 3  

There's nothing to gain. The suit is a bit gaudy and perhaps outdated. But it's Superman. There's better designs out there for the American flag or the Coca Cola logo-- but history and visual recognition mean more than trendiness.

Actually one reason Superman is what he is, is because of the successful "branding" his costume has created over the years. The people in editorial at these superhero companies need to study advertising. There's a reason why McDonald's outsells Burger King, even though the latter company serves much better hamburgers. It's because after 40 years of advertising, Burger King still has not established its image. They keep changing their logo and colors and marketing. McDonald's still has the same red, yellow and white signs, the same golden arches, the same Big Mac, the same clown mascot.

That's why they are #1--because the public worldwide understands what they are, what they look like, and there is a nostalgia curve. The people at the tobacco companies understand marketing--have they changed the logo of Marlboro every five years?

Bottom Line: It 's not just an ineffective gimmick to change the superhero costumes, it's also counterproductive and it's bad advertising.

Kevin Tuma
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2007 at 4:18am | IP Logged | 4  

Jim says: (And while I think he should be depowered, I wouldn't go as far as to make him a pansy like on the Timm show.  I bought the DVD sets with some gift certificates based on the Batman series and was amazed how in almost every episode, Superman is wearing a radiation/space/protective suit.  He's Superman!)

I think everyone in the DC Universe should be depowered simultaneously. The Green Lanterns are demi-gods, the Flash is too fast, Wonder Woman and Supergirl and Power Girl are overblown, and there aren't enough characters like Green Arrow, Nightwing, or Batman who are ordinary human beings.

Superman uses his heat vision too often. I think someone should establish that using heat vision decreases his strength, because it burns up solar energy (or something.)

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2007 at 7:37am | IP Logged | 5  

I know it is a bad way to look at the point, but DC tried giving us 4 different Supermen in 1993 and the original model still returned. No matter how much a writer may screw with the character or concept he is so ingrained in to the world and the public the original model always comes back.

David Whiteley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2007 at 12:30pm | IP Logged | 6  

I don't think that DC ever intended to replace the original Superman with any
of the four long-term, though.

Kevin Tuma
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2007 at 5:40pm | IP Logged | 7  

Nope, not replace at all, but we can consider these attempts to build up the "Superman family" with Steel and Superboy. Neither went over well, and I'm thinking after the latest mega-death crossover, DC will not resurrect Superboy again, in a contemporary timeframe. I could be wrong.  

The character I miss from that time period the most is the Matrix Supergirl. Very nice character. I haven't read the adventures of the new Kara-based Supergirl who dresses like a teen prostitute.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2007 at 11:29pm | IP Logged | 8  

Silly rabbit.  Matrix is for kids.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 9
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version